Freestanding-hand-stand Press-ups.

Discussion in 'Health and Fitness' started by Raven6288, Aug 15, 2006.

1. Raven6288

Raven6288 New Member

I have recently been working on these, as a form of balance control as well as toning up my outer arm and shoulder muscles.

A simple question really, I can hold my body straight when I do a hand stand but when I go down into the press my legs bend to right angles at the knee. Has anyone gone down and kept full composure?

I can barely do 3 at the moment-hehe.

But that is only after 5 weeks of not even being able to stand on my hands without falling over.

Comments please:...

2. narcsarge

narcsarge Masticated Whey

Simple answer yes, I have done them! Only 6 back when I was 18. To do a freestanding handstand press your core (abs and back) must be trained well. Your shoulders and stabilizing muscles must be able to compensate for any movement that might be generated when you do the exercise. Of course movement is what kills most people with this exercise. If you can not hold a handstand, without moving, for an extended period of time then it will be difficult to do handstand pushups. Practice just holding a handstand for balance and working your core. Do the pushups against a wall to keep your strenght up. Once you can hold the handstand without moving then throw in the pushup part. Or, shortcut here, get a spotter to help you out but he can only use one hand or arm to keep you balanced. It will be up to you to fight for balance and complete the exercise.

3. Trick Nasty

Trick Nasty space monkey

4. sn11

sn11 Woosh! Bang! Ow!

that website is very impressive, i must admit at the moment i am not even going to attempt that! so even 3 is outstanding to me lol, but either way practise makes perfect and i hope you achieve what you set out to do.

5. Tansy

Tansy I train ninja guinea pigs

woah that is good, the site is very basic and brillantly easy to read. I may just try thoose, I remember handstands on the wall when I was a small person! but now I'm bigger I find it hard to lift my weight against the wall...I fear my neck will break.

Tans