Foot pain - Help please - Finding it hard to walk!

Discussion in 'Injuries and Prevention' started by Vimtoforblood, Oct 22, 2009.

1. I'm abroad at the moment. Meant to be training.
    On my day of arrival, before training, we did a fair bit of walking.
    I was wearing flip flops. At the end of the day my foot started really hurting. I trained trough the pain last night and started to feel relatively ok once I got going. But now I am having real trouble walking. I'm walking with a bad limp and really having problems putting weight on it.

The pain is located on the sole of my foot. Outside edge mainly. It feels like there is some swelling when I place my foot down, like a small thin balloon under my foot, but when I lift it up to tough it it feels quite normal. It is a sharp pain like someone pushing a metal rod through the bottom of the foot. The heel and arch feel fine.

I've no idea what to do other than resting it, but it is hard as I need to walk places. Training tonight and tomorrow is out of the question as I don't want to make it worse. Hopefully I can train at the weekend - if not I will have travelled half way across the world to not train :(

It is especially annoying since it it not a training related injury.

What would you do?

2. adouglasmhor

adouglasmhor Not an Objectivist

Ibruprofen

Rest - when you can
    Ice - or frozen peas on it
    Compression - crepe,cling or neoprene bandage
    Elevation - get it up higher than your hip when you can

Good luck

Hot and cold foot baths can help

Ditch the flip flops

3. inthespirit

inthespirit ignant

I'd get a massage, might just be a trigger point somewhere around your foot, maybe from wearing the flip-flops if they are not your usual footwear. I've had something similar from a new pair of shoes, just muscles readjusting. Trigger point was on the outside kinda above the achilles and bellow the ankle area. 15 min of self massage sorted it out pretty much.

I'd just have a feel around and see if you can find some painful/tender areas then try to gently massage them. Good luck!

4. SMMA

SMMA Mind-Body-Sprit

The best thing to do is rest. The body is very quick at healing if you help it out a bit. Also like others have said ice is a great way to ease some of the pain. Oh and good luck with your training! hope that foot heals soon.

5. brotherinarms

brotherinarms Valued Member

resting it is the best option if you bath your feet try massaging them gently in warm salt water and dry them thoroughly after rest them when you can raised up slightly.

6. Thomas

Thomas Combat Hapkido/Taekwondo

If it still bothers, perhaps you should go to a doctor.

7. inthespirit

inthespirit ignant

8. CosmicFish

CosmicFish Aleprechaunist

Another possibility - could be plantar fasciitis. Sometimes you can get this if you're on your feet all day (when you're not used to being so) or if you put a sudden jarring force on the foot. I had it a few years ago and the only thing I could do was rest up for a week or so and wait for it to heal itself.

I'd personally go with Doug's advice on how to treat it.

9. Thank you to everyone who has replied.

I followed most of your advice
    Took pain killers, slept with my feet up in the air and didn't wear flip flops at all.
    It still hurts now but I think it is on the mend. Someone had a look at it for me and suspects tendonitis (although apparently it is more common near the arch).

I managed to get through all the training bar an hour one evening, where I just watched. Unfortunately I couldn't go full out and give it my all, but just so happy managed to train.

Hopefully it heals up and I can get back to my normal training routine at home soon.

Thanks again guys.

10. adouglasmhor

adouglasmhor Not an Objectivist

Well done getting some training in and glad it's on the mend.