Flexibility training London

Discussion in 'Health and Fitness' started by ChiDan, Aug 29, 2013.

1. ChiDan

ChiDan New Member

Does anyone know of recommend any classes or clubs in London with strong focus on flexibility training?

2. holyheadjch

holyheadjch Valued Member

3. Simon

Simon Administrator Admin Supporter MAP 2017 Koyo Award

ChiDan, welcome to MAP.

Please let us know a little more. Are you currently training in a martial art, or is this something that's going to be new to you?

Which side of London is accessible to you?

4. Van Zandt

Van Zandt Mr. High Kick

Your nearest Olympic weight lifting gym.

5. ChiDan

ChiDan New Member

I've tried a lot of Yoga over the last year and my experience is that you need to be flexible for yoga, but yoga is not very effective for developing flexibility.

I haven't done any martial arts for over 5 years, but used to train in Yang taiji and shaolin temple tufnel park. I am looking to get back into it for fitness, conditioning and flexibility.

Preferable locations would be central london or north london (camden town).

Van Zandt: can you elaborate a bit on your suggestion on Olympic lifting gym? These are surprisingly hard to find in London, although there are a few around, but is that something you need a personal trainer for?

6. Van Zandt

Van Zandt Mr. High Kick

This link will help you locate a facility near you:

http://www.britishweightlifting.org/membership/club-listing

But really any gym with a decent set up and people who know what they're doing will suffice. You don't even need a trainer. Other gym users with experience and good technique can make for excellent training partners.

I recommend Olympic weight lifting because it will increase your flexibility faster and safer than any yoga class. Olympic weight lifters are the most flexible of any athletes after gymnasts. The strength gains you make will only benefit your martial arts training.

7. HarryF

HarryF Malued Vember

Erm, I have found almost exactly the opposite, as I started with average/below average flexibility, and mine is now 'good' and still improving....

I guess from your experience, not all yoga is the same? What style of yoga was it? Who was the teacher? How often did you do it? How much individual attention did you get from the teacher? Was there much focus on 'breathing' while in each posture, with the aim of gradually increasing your range of motion? (i.e. increasing your flexibility...) IMO this is a core pillar of good yoga.

Is there any reason you can't go back to the old MA classes you used to go to? Otherwise a good kickboxing or Muay Thai gym should help you improve fitness, flexibility and conditioning, plus you also get to hit people :D

Anyway, listen to whatever Van Zandt has to say

8. shootodog

shootodog restless native

No one is flexible when they start yoga. No one, believe you me. Not flexible enough, no one ever is. Like anything, flexibility is developed over time. Yoga. Or BJJ. But most BJJers I know do yoga to get more flexible.

9. Van Zandt

Van Zandt Mr. High Kick

Olympic weight lifting will be even more beneficial to BJJers because of the flexibility and strength O-lifts develop in the hips and T-spine.

10. ChiDan

ChiDan New Member

Van Zandt, is the flexibility developed purely as a result of practicing the snatch and clean and jerk?

11. Van Zandt

Van Zandt Mr. High Kick

Yes. Look at the position of the shoulders and hips in both movements. The position of the shoulders gives you mobility to do back ("wrestler") bridges. The position of the hips in the snatch is a precursor to side splits. The position of the hips in the clean and jerk is a precursor to front splits.

12. Simon

Simon Administrator Admin Supporter MAP 2017 Koyo Award

What is your opinion on the likes of Tai Chi practitioners who build incredible flexibility without the weight training?

13. Van Zandt

Van Zandt Mr. High Kick

There are only two ways to build flexibility without strength:

1. Relaxed stretching before age 12, when you can take advantage of increased pliability of muscles and ligaments. Results are long-lasting but lack of strength leads to severe joint instability and some deformities.
    2. Relaxed stretching after age 16, which relies on elasticity of muscles and connective tissues. As stated in the mawashi geri thread this decreases with age due to changes in the elastin-collagen ratio. Results take a lot of time and effort to develop and maintain.

Neither is preferable in my opinion. That is not to say that Tai Chin practitioners build some strength with their flexibility due to their deep stances. Strength (gained by whatever method) makes flexibility easier to gain and keep.

My motto is: "Flexibility without strength isn't."