Fast vs. Slow Squats?

Discussion in 'Health and Fitness' started by 2ku, Oct 13, 2010.

1. Kuma

Kuma Lurking about

Watch Andy Bolton at about 0:30. The first guy to deadlift 1000 pounds doing speed pulls with 500 pounds. Crazy.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CkF_tHlJa_A"]YouTube - Andy Bolton Training DVD preview[/ame]

2. Bigmikey

Bigmikey Internet Pacifist.

Mentzer was another advocate of extreme HIT. Rumors abound that in PRACTICE, however, he trained in a completely opposite fashion. I can't say cause I was like 2 years old and not really into the lifting scene yet, but based on what I've read and my own experiences, HIT is a useful plateau buster and to some, with the recovery ability necessary, a tool that can be employed often, but on the whole I think its something that doesn't live up to its reputation in ways and therefore should be taken with a grain of salt

3. Cuong Nhu

Cuong Nhu Valued Member

My point was it seemed like you were criticizing me personally, as if I came up with the idea that there is a difference between strength and power.

I actually don't. I squat with 60lbs doing about 4 secs negative phase, pause for 1 sec, and then spend 3secs going back up for 30 reps. Then jump squats for 20 and 10 reps. I just went and squated with 60lbs 12 times and it took my about 10 seconds.

In my last post I admitted that I was mistaken.

Does experience in Crossfit, Superslow, and the Daily 14 work? I have more familiarity then with that one system, it's just the only book I have. Most of the rest comes from various websites.

4. Kuma

Kuma Lurking about

So, you do realize if someone squats just 120 pounds 12 times in about 10 seconds, then they are basically twice as powerful as you then, right? Comparing a heavy one rep max to a set of 12 with a very light weight, it's easy to see why you would be much faster than the fellow who was squatting almost 1140 pounds. I'm pretty sure Brent Mikesell may even be able to squat 600 pounds 12 times in about 10 seconds, making him ten times more powerful than you.

I would suggest you start learning the basics first before lecturing on resistance training.

5. SpikeD

SpikeD At the Frankenstein Place

Sorry if a bit OT. The vid in post #13. That was a squat with 517 and not 5170 KG right? I just can't imagine some one squating a transit van with a landrover in the back.

6. Master Betty

Master Betty Banned Banned

I take it the purpose in these exercises is directly to benefit the actual physical act of fighting... this being a martial arts website after all?

If so, then there's one word I'm NOT seeing which I should be seeing and every single person here should be aware of it. If you're not aware of it and consider yourself some font of martial arts knowledge thne you should be ashamed of yourself.

When it comes to exercise realting to fighting the word you should know is: PLYOMETRICS!

Go look it up. Largest portion of your circuit training etc. should be plyometrics.

To answer the original question in a simple way for those cant be bothered to look up plyometrics or understand it: do the squats fast. In fact, add in a tuck jump after the squat. Squat down as low as you can, then explode into a tuck jump. Repeat.

7. SpikeD

Try that with 100lb's.

This was posted in the weight traing section.

8. Master Betty

And your point is caller? We usually do this with weighted vests, or a medicine ball or a kettle bell.

How about you stop trying to be smart. It doesn't suit you.

9. SpikeD

But i'm exceptionally clever. :rolleyes:

My point is, oh touchy one, a medicine ball does not a weight make. Unless you just count anything with mass as a weight, in which case perhaps you could bench your ego. :evil:

Seriously though, why the attitude? :confused: Your first post was a bit snobby, and the second was a teensy bit insulting.

10. Master Betty

A medicine ball weighing 10kg is most definately a weight. So are weighted vests, kettlebells and even the occasional dumbell.

My original post was in such tone precisely because of people like you. I didn't have to post ina nicey nicey fashion to receive a message from someone like you, who thinks he knows what he's talking about, before i could reply in a scathing manner. There's always folks like you kickin around.

I suppose theres not much call for plyometrics in kung fu though...

11. Master Betty

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MFy2FpLKQQ8"]YouTube - Plyometric Exercises[/ame]

Example.

12. Bigmikey

Wow... did I accidentally log onto bizzarro MAP??

Master Betty I've never had a run-in with you or even really spoken to you directly and yet somehow you feel that you know me well enough to make the generalization that I'm somehow "less" because I didn't toss plyometrics into the mix?

Wow, that is hugely uncool.

13. Master Betty

Nah I don't have an attitude towards you at all and I never said anything of the sort about you. I stand by the point that anyone who's serious about training for a martial art/sport should know what plyometrics is.

14. Bigmikey

Agreed, actually, plyometrics are a tremendous tool to have in your toolbox.

Lets start over, Hi, I'm Mike :D

15. Master Betty

Hi, I'm Iain, a 25 year old with aggression and anger management issues.

I'm really a nice guy though. :)

16. Bigmikey

LOL, whats funny about that is you could almost say the same thing about me... well, except for the 25 year old part :D

17. SpikeD

So you predict that someone (me) who is an idiot with no clue and eyes that focus in different directions will post something stupid in response to something amazing that you post (with me so far) so you make your first post a scathing attack on all and sundry just to cover your bases? Is this correct? If so, that's not anger management issues. It may be total **** syndrome though.

18. Master Betty

tut tut. swearing. I wasn't the one who had to resort to that.

Oh and to answere your question: yes. You just proved me right. way to go.

19. SpikeD

If the filter doesn't catch it it's not swearing. I hope.

Something has been proven for sure.

20. SpikeD

Just seen this bit. Where did anyone say that plyo was not worth it or that they don't understand what plyo is? This is the sort of post i'm referring to. You pipe in half way through a discussion and tell us all we don't know our explosive training from our strength training from our teachers training with no cause or reason other than for you to 'educate' us.