Dynamic Stretching: Side Raises

Discussion in 'Health and Fitness' started by Fhil, Dec 13, 2008.

1. Van Zandt

Van Zandt Mr. High Kick

Yes. You need just one exercise per muscle group. The front split will target both the quadriceps and the hamstrings; the side split will target the adductors. You can do more if you think it will benefit you, but I believe it will be a waste of time.

If you can squat 10 times comfortably with your own bodyweight on the barbell, then you are more-or-less strong enough to isometric stretches for the splits. The "double your body weight" comes from your body weight on the barbell, plus your own bodyweight you're holding up when you squat anyway. Even you need further explanation let me know.

The strain you are feeling is common. It is because your medial collateral ligament is not strong enough, yet. Continue with your strength training to remedy this problem. Also do Hindu squats, lunges and deadlifts.

I have highlighted the portion of your sentence which is wrong. NEVER point your toes and knees up when you slide into the splits from a standing position. If you decide to do the toes-up version of the side split, do it from a seated position.

The toes-up version is just as effective [at stretching the adductors] as the toes-forward version. However, the toes-up version offers several benefits that the toes-forward version does not: 1) the toes-up version reduces the likelihood of wear and tear to the cartilage inside your acetabulum (hip socket), 2) the toes-up version makes it easier to relax the adductors, and 3) the toes-up version places minimal stress on the knee joint. However, you cannot do the toes-up side split for isometric stretches. Also, some report slightly better gains using the toes-forward version; this could because of the weight pressing down on the adductors and suppressing the stretch reflex somewhat.

Always start in a seated position as the video shows.

2. KonGato

KonGato Valued Member

Thank you so very much for the super-great help!!! :cool::star:

I will carry on stretching with toes up, starting from seated position :topic:

Thanks yet again!

3. Van Zandt

Van Zandt Mr. High Kick

No problems :cool:

Post again if you have any further questions.

By the way, how are you finding the routine so far?

4. KonGato

KonGato Valued Member

I'm finding the routine very good, not so time-demanding. Although, 1 day I only did the morning routine because I were away from home all evening... My ambition is to do 2x every day, but on occasion I fear it could be 1x on some days.

I am having trouble with the side-raises still though... But I don't think I'm doing them wrong; I stand with feet together, then grab a chair with both hands, leaning forward a bit over the chair for support, then (with supporting foot forward) I raise my leg with knife-foot. I am above 90-degrees I think, so that's a good sign :)

In the beginning I tended to slightly pivot my supporting leg, thus being able to raise my leg higher, but I'm trying not to by grabbing the chair.
    My torso has the reflex of wanting to shift to the opposite side of the kicking leg, leaning over. But I'm working on that one - the torso should point forwards right? And slightly pointed towards the kick?

Last edited: Jan 10, 2009
  5. Van Zandt

Van Zandt Mr. High Kick

Try to keep your torso as upright as possible, but do not worry about this point so much. You will eventually "feel" the correct position for your torso once you become used to the movement. In the beginning, the most important thing is to keep up with your training! Good luck :cool:

Do you need instructions on how to do the toes-up side split, as in the video?

6. KonGato

KonGato Valued Member

Ok, yeah I'll keep it up :)

My idea of the stretch is this: Sit down, straight back and then I slowly spread my legs as far as it is comfortable. Then I should maybe spread them wider until I feel stretch? :)

Antoher idea I have is to push my hip forward with my hands on the ground behind me. By doing that, my legs also spread wider.

Is any of these methods something you would do? I will look into some videos at youtube as well. I saw that Superfoot Wallace had quite a few of those.

Would gladly recieve some tips if you have the time :)

7. Van Zandt

Van Zandt Mr. High Kick

Here is the method prescribed by Bill Wallace and Pavel Tsatsouline* when performing the toes-up side split:

1. From a seated position, start with your legs approximately 90 degrees apart and your hands behind your back for support.

2. Pretend one ankle is pinned to the floor and push forward with the opposite leg until your legs spread further apart. Hold this position for 20 to 30 seconds.

3. Repeat the above procedure until your legs are spread as far as you can go.

* Pavel uses this method for his seated groin stretch in "Relax into Stretch".

Hope this helps.

Last edited: Jan 10, 2009
  8. KonGato

KonGato Valued Member

Got it! I'm doing the routine just now and that stretch seemed so right, don't know how I managed without it.

Regarding the front-split, should my back legs be straight behind or to the side? I have seen both variations... Some have the back-legs foots instep towards the floor, and some have it to the side...

9. Van Zandt

Van Zandt Mr. High Kick

Front split positioning all depends on which (rear knee facing down, or rear knee facing to the side) you feel more comfortable with. I do mine "knee down" with a cushion underneath to minimise pressure on the patella.

10. KonGato

KonGato Valued Member

Thanks again.

I think I have it all figured out now regarding stretching :cool:

I was gonna ask if 30-6+ seconds of stretch really is enough, but I did some research and found various sites that states the same.

Last edited: Jan 11, 2009
  11. Van Zandt

Van Zandt Mr. High Kick

On a side note, the surface you stretch on makes a big difference. On laminated flooring, it is easier to make bigger gains if you wear socks, or have folded-up wash clothes beneath your feet. Similarly, placing glossy magazine covers beneath your feet is very effective if you stretch on carpet.

12. KonGato

KonGato Valued Member

Yes, the surface makes a big difference.
    I have limited space in my apartment, with carpets everywhere and I find it quite difficult do stretch my legs in the seated side-split;

I try to hold one ankle nailed to the floor and then move forward with the other leg, and well it works OK but the foot slides easily somewhat which makes holding it "nialed" difficult. I will try using indoor-shoes! :D

The best would be if I had indoor-shoes and training with my club - they have good floor there.

Last edited: Jan 11, 2009
  13. Van Zandt

Van Zandt Mr. High Kick

Try keeping the "nailed" foot bare, as skin doesn't slide easily on carpet. There are lots of little "tricks" to this stretch, and you will create many yourself.

14. KonGato

KonGato Valued Member

When I complete the relaxed stretching of the side-split, I have to slooooowly bring my legs together because it aches quite a bit - in a good way (feels stretched!) :D

I feel quite stiff in the stretched area for up to 10 minutes after the stretch, so I am wondering:

Should I do something immediately after the stretch, like maybe jog for a while, roll my hips, kick loose my legs... ?

15. Van Zandt

Van Zandt Mr. High Kick

Hip circles and walking on the spot for 5 or 10 minutes should suffice.

16. KonGato

KonGato Valued Member

OK!

Would you say that this is just for comfort-reasons or is there some benefits regarding the flexibility of hips/gains of stretching session.. .?

17. Van Zandt

Van Zandt Mr. High Kick

Walking on the spot for a couple minutes after stretching helps the nervous tension in your muscles return to a normal level (otherwise you may suffer painful muscle spasms in the middle of the night). Hip circles encourage blood flow to the pelvic region, helping to prevent degeneration of connective tissues.

18. KonGato

KonGato Valued Member

Thanks for replying.

Excuse this follow-up question, I guess it's about interpretation :)

But, with hip-rolls, do you mean

A: Stand with both feet on the ground, rotating the mid-section/hip

or...

B: Lifting one bent leg and doing circles inwards and outwards to the side?

Thanks yet again.

By the way, your routine is great. I have noticed a higher ROM both in the dynamic side-stretches as well as the forward/side-split :cool:

19. Van Zandt

Van Zandt Mr. High Kick

This one :cool:

20. KonGato

KonGato Valued Member

Hi again,

I just thought of something.

When I was training old-style Wushu a year ago, we did the following dynamic stretches before the real training:

1. Front raises such as in the routine you posted
    2. Side-raises with pivoting supporting foot
    3. Side-raises with straight supporting foot, but with rising foot pointing up and with knee slightly bent.
    4. Back raises

What exactly does stretch #3 do different than the "normal" side-raise, i.e. with toes pointing forward? It sure feels more comfortable but I think that maybe it gives less of a stretch to important areas... ?

Is this stretch good also or is it like 1/10 as good as the "normal" side-raise?

Thanks!

Last edited: Jan 25, 2009