does 15 years of imaginary training really pay off?

Discussion in 'Health and Fitness' started by kensouKOF99, Oct 16, 2010.

1. Moi

Moi Warriors live forever x

How's that going to help in the imaginary battle against the imaginary foe lurking around every hypothetical corner. It's no good having an imaginary girlfriend if your quixotic skills aren't going to defend her honour.I imagine

2. John Titchen

John Titchen Still Learning Supporter

No point in imagining anything if you haven't got the physical experience to make those visualisations give accurate neural feedback. In short - visualisation is only a useful tool for those who put in lots of hard physical training.

Sweat saves blood, blood saves lives and brains saves both. Use your brain, train smart - do what every good martial artist/fighter has done to get good - train hard regularly and study what you're training for.

3. Simon

Simon Administrator Admin Supporter MAP 2017 Koyo Award

HaHa, I see Slip is back.

4. holyheadjch

holyheadjch Valued Member

People who 'create styles' don't normally pick them out of thin air. They normally take styles they have been training in (with a teacher) and make adjustments/additions/omissions and give it a new name. There is nothing imaginary in what they did and in most cases it is evolution rather than revolution.

5. Simon

Further to me saying earlier that I've always avoided kata, I think those who enjoy kata have even more reason to get an instructor.

It is nearly impossible to understand the subtle changes required in body alignment, balance, positioning etc without good coaching and unless the OP is reading this I really think we are preaching to the converted.

6. kuntaoer

kuntaoer Valued Member

I don't know about the effectiveness of 15 yrs of self teaching.. I have known people who studied their whole life in a specific korean art and when it came to fighting, they were about as effective as a screen door on a submarine.. Kicking air and bouncing around like a jumping bean leaves too much to the imagination..

But then again, there have been times when I was kicked out of a bujinkan class because I showed up with a flash light (torch for nonamerican citizens) and scared the devil out of the students.. Kept ruining their disappearing into the shadows when I would flash it on the area

7. kensouKOF99

kensouKOF99 Valued Member

remember 3 is like the average fighter you would encounter say at school or something.i believe 1 would win ive done pretty good by just mimicing what i use to see on bruce lee movies lol and ive done ok. not say thats how i wanna go into a fight lol.but i still think it would be more beneficial in the long run of things if somewhere down the line you train yourself.

8. kensouKOF99

SORRY FOR NOT USING THE SHIFT KEY.

imaginary training is trying to train yourself so they say but i believe its the way to go.

9. kensouKOF99

nuff said.

10. Simon

The problem I have with this sort of statement is one I have heard many times over the years, probably becuase I do martial arts people always feel the neccesity to tell me of their latest fight or altercation. It is always "I would do this, that or the other".

What everyone forgets and something I always tell my students is 'what do you do when he hits you? It is alright copying Bruce Lee films. You may have a half decent punch or kick, but the first time you get hit properly it is like the world had ended and the attacker is still coming, then what do you do?

This is somethng you cannot train at home on your own or even sparring a mate because he is no better than you.

I have asked this question of people and had the reply "I would just open up a couple of gears", well where do those extra gears come from, have you trained to find those extra gears in class? If not then you will be in trouble thinking you can adapt home training to the real world.

11. kensouKOF99

come on now i started this thread to get opinion =] but im thinking about making a journal of self training now. anyone wanna help me get this together lol

12. holyheadjch

I don't think it would be unfair to assert that 20 years of self-training is worth less than 2 years of training under a good instructor.

13. Southpaw535

Southpaw535 Well-Known Member Moderator Supporter

You kinda just proved you need an instructor if you truly think you could beat 3 people intent on kicking an imprint of your face into a curb and thats with some proper instruction.

14. Hatamoto

Hatamoto Beardy Man Kenobi Supporter

I remember the first time I ever got punched and the first time I ever got kicked. Both times I ended up on the floor laughing. But it wasn't a "omg that was funny" laugh, it was a terrified "omg I'm gonna die" kind of laugh :p Just to confirm Simon's point, nothing gets you used to getting smacked like getting smacked.

15. bassai

bassai onwards and upwards ! Moderator Supporter

Without an instructor how on earth do you know if you're training correctly ?

I've read a couple of anatomy books and have a reasonable idea how the body works , only problem is i've never had someone to practice on.
    Fancy letting me operate on you ?

16. Yohan

Yohan In the Spirit of Yohan Supporter

Joe Calzaghe was almost self trained - his dad taught him out of boxing manuals. Pat Militech was self trained - he learned from Jiu Jutsu videos on the floor of his basement.

The idea that you can't become great without a competent coach is incorrect in my opinion, but you still have to put in the grind. You still have to train hard, train right, and have partners who challenge you on a regular basis.

17. bassai

bassai onwards and upwards ! Moderator Supporter

And we've all had people walk into the dojo/gym who just seemed to "get it".
    The point is 99.9% of people haven't got the drive or talent to self teach themselves to any degree of proficiency.

18. holyheadjch

Uhm, no.

Both Enzo and Joe were initially trained by Paul Williams for nine years in Newport. Enzo took over Newbridge Boxing Club when Williams retired. So neither Joe or Enzo taught themselves.

And Pat Militech trained wrestling in high school, was trained in boxing by his retired professional and olympic boxer uncle, so he didn't train himself either.

And another thing, how can you train yourself and have partners? I don't think imaginary friends would make particularly good sparring partners.

19. Wolf3001

Wolf3001 Valued Member

I agree that at some point people didn't know anything. That being said they got into fights and seen what worked and how people reacted. They probably then tried to figure this all out by going through set motions and thinking why did this work and can it be improved on. I do not believe you can become much good without a partner to help you. Do I think one can create their own system yeah sure but why. Chances are everything you think up has already been done and probably much better than your ideas. I know from my training that we have come up with variations of techniques during practice. You learn as you train but to learn to fight another person you need another person. If you don't have access to a teacher than getting a friend and learning thigs I guess is the best option but to do it alone wont do you much good.

20. Gripfighter

Gripfighter Sub Seeker

stop feeding the troll