Diet

Discussion in 'Health and Fitness' started by M Lambert, Mar 22, 2006.

1. M Lambert

M Lambert Fitness Consultant

Further to my previous Supplements thread (Cell-Tech), I thought I'd get some advice on my diet.

My aim is to lose weight, build muscle, and ultimately join the Army next year.

I changed my diet 2 weeks ago, this is what it is now:

Breakfast:
    Fruit Smoothie - 2 or 3 glasses of Pureed Fresh Fruit.

Meal 1:
    Sandwhich (Ham or Tuna) or a Sausage roll (small) plus Orange Juice

Meal 2:
    Sandwhich (Ham, Tuna, Sausage, whatevers there), or a Chicken Wrap thing, plus Apple plus Fruit Juice or Water.

Meal 3:
    Main Evening meal, usually Chicken, pork or lean beef, with Potatoes or Pasta plus vegetables (maybe in home made sauce, depends).

If I snack it is on tangerines (them little oranges... incase I got the wrong name), Pineapple etc.

This is accompanied by 100 Sit ups in the morning, Upper Body Weights and usually squats but Ive hurt my butt-muscle so cant do them :p I would be doing the same in the evening but this week coursework decided to surprise me.

Ideas?

2. kitsune

kitsune New Member

Don't overtrain, don't train the same muscle group twice the same day. Don't do the same weights routine everyday, muscles need time to recover in order to gain mass. And from looking at your profile, stop drinking.

3. M Lambert

Dont drink... stopped that about a month or so ago. Didnt drink loads beforehand either...

4. flaming

flaming Valued Member

People usually bulk or cut. This seams more like an american idea to me due to bodybuilders. Art Devany (extremly fit 60 yr old), says bulking and cutting is unhealthy, and unbeneficial to gaining strength, but he does have some controversial ideas.

The diet looks good you could decrease your carbohydrate and increase your fat intake, either flax seeds or wallnuts. Aim for about 25-30% fat.

Include fish oil pills they offer too many benefits.

If the ham and tuna is "bernard mathews" or something similiar try to get some real meat or protein powder because they contain too much salt.

5. flaming

flaming Valued Member

6. neb

neb Banned Banned

Avoid red meats like ham and especcially sausage. They are your enemies if you're looking to bulk up.

Hefty supplies of protein before and after workouts always good: tuna and eggs your best bet - and lots of milk.

Nuts are good, in fact they're your saviours! No kidding - high in calories, no doubt, but a couple handfuls a day won't increase fat stores at all and gives you a serious helping of healthy vitamins, nutrients and A HELLUVA LOT OF PROTEIN!

If you do get nuts - Almonds are the kings! Ney they are the Gods!

Plus, a handful followed by a pint of water can keep you full and keep your appetite at bay for hours, no joke.

When it comes to some taste in your life - spinach, chicken, turkey, other lean meats, olive oil (excellent to increase fat burning chemistry of body), and peanut butter.

peanut butter is excellent - so long as you limit yourself to 3 table spoons a day you wont gain weight in fat - protein and full of monounsaturated fats.

avoid the 3 meals a day routine and increase it to 5 or 6 if you can of small consistent meals to really boost your metabolism and heighten the speed of gaining results.

so long as its infrequent - dont chain yourself down and avoid the pleasure foods too often. you can still eat pizza, burgers, chocolate and what not so long as you know what is going into your body.

go for natural sugar instead of HFCS's (they'll be labelled) and definitely avoid foods labelled with hydrogenated vegetable oils as much as possible.

have ice cream too - just be sensible about it though - go for a fruit flavour or simple chocolate instead of that double fudge sunday. you know what i mean? when you eat pleasure foods, always rationalise.

and every week - have at least 1 meal that is whatever the hell you want just to keep you going. so long as you plan it and keep everything consistent - it's not really a diet but just a new eating habit that leaves you just as satisfied.

and i would honestly reccomend leaving at least 1 day between workouts to avoid getting the opposite effect of what you want.

7. Pobeli

Pobeli Valued Member

Walnuts are an excellent nut as well. And if you eat peanut butter, get natural peanut butter. It's a whole lot better for you than the other stuff.

8. M Lambert

OK guy cheers for the advice :) My daytime diet is limited healthwise to mainly what i mentioned (can do pasta salads though... but im thinking pasta = carb = lots = could be bad?) because its college and its a "This or Pizza" attitude! lol

Regards leaving a day between workouts, is this just weights? Or should I do day on/day off regarding Sit ups, Press ups and the rest of it too?

9. iamraisen

iamraisen Valued Member

instead of your normal situps and press ups, try press ups with one arm on a basketball. when you can do 10 or so of those do it on one leg too. that way you will be working your core and your chest in a more effective way than just doing conventional press ups and sit ups.

also think about investing in a chin up bar at home. £7 for one that goes in your door frame.

as for food, lots of protein and good fats and carbs only at breakfast and after workouts.

10. inteq9

inteq9 165lb of TROUBLE!

Ham isn't red meat. Pork is an excellent lean meat. I eat tons of pig.

[​IMG]

If you ask me, there is nothing wrong with lean red meat. If you exercise regularly and have a balanced diet there is nothing wrong with eating beef. Beef is really good for you.

[​IMG]