Dextrose question

Discussion in 'Health and Fitness' started by harhar, Mar 14, 2005.

1. harhar

harhar I hate semaphores

I recently decided to try dextrose and see if it makes much of a difference in recovery time.

I bought about a kg of dextrose (corn sugar) from a bulk food store and was wondering how much in volume I must take (dont have anything to weigh the dextrose with).

Im guessing a table spoon of dextrose would be 30grams of glucose?

I am thinking of taking about 60grams of dextrose along with 30-40 grams of whey. Or even 30 grams of dextrose with some raisins and whey.

One more thing, has anyone had any problems with pure dextrose postworkout? I've heard some people saying that maltodextrin is better (or 50/50 combo of malto/dextro).

2. Ad McG

Ad McG Troll-killer Supporter

I use a 50/50 combo, but this should be fine. Go for about 2:1 carbs to protein, so 30g protein = 60g dextrose.

3. calleo14

calleo14 Banned Banned

Ight imma tell u what

Buy a powder drink called cell-tech and nitro-tech you mix those babys together and youre recovery should increase alot thats wat i use packed with alot of protien

4. Ad McG

Cell tech is one of the worst supplements around. Do a search on www.t-nation.com for the well-known crapness of it.

5. harhar

harhar I hate semaphores

Am I supposed to see a difference in a few days? I still feel sore the same. My hams are crazy sore from ME day yesterday.

6. Ad McG

I definitely notice the difference with my formula. I take about 60g of dextrose/maltodextrin with 30g protein, 10g glutamine, and 3-5g creatine, all together in water, unadulterated by flavours or sweeteners!

Obviously you're going to be sore, but do you get proper nutrition at other times too? You can't just take in a single PWO shake and expect recovery to be awesome, but PWO is especially important compared to other times. I would definitely recommend getting a proper meal within 1-2 hours after your PWO. If you aren't getting enough sleep or aren't eating right the rest of the time, then a PWO shake can only do so much.

7. harhar

harhar I hate semaphores

I eat 5-6 meals a day. 3000+kcals at 5 foot 8 160lbs. I make sure I always eat a big meal within 1-2 hours after my shake. I sleep 7-8 hours a night. I also stretch 3-4 times a day to get the blood flowing.

I dunno, I guess my training sessions are pretty rough for my body. Oh well, I'll have to take the pain like a man :D.

8. Ad McG

Exactly. It probably would have been worse without the PWO shake!

9. JKD_forever

JKD_forever DEADLIFT!!!!!!!!!!!!

You know 3000+ Cal for 160lb person is very very good, if you want to add weight, because with so much calories you sohuld gain weight in no time,
    for 200lb person to keep his weight 2400 is optimum.
    But yeah as Adam said single thing is not enough for recovery, its combo of sleep/food/rest/workout itself.