Design me a routine!!

Discussion in 'Health and Fitness' started by Ghost Frog, Jun 28, 2007.

1. Ghost Frog

Ghost Frog New Member

Hi folks, following on from suggestions in the my last routine thread, I thought I'd ask you to flex your think muscles and come up with some suggestions for lunchtime workouts.

Here are the parameters:
    1) I have a access to a company gym for my workouts. It contains the following: Pull-up bar, exercise bike, treadmill, stepper, rower, a complete dumbell rack, a stability ball, a mat, a punchbag (not suitable for kicks). There is just enough room to swing a cat.
    2) I have bad knees. I need to be wary of jumping squats and the like. I can't do pull-ups anymore, but I'd like to.
    3) I have 30 minutes and not a second more!!
    4) I can fit in three workouts a week.
    5) I want my workouts to be beneficial for grappling.

Any takers? :D

2. flaming

flaming Valued Member

3. Ghost Frog

Ghost Frog New Member

Cool stuff, cheers. :)

4. flaming

flaming Valued Member

I didnt say any treadmill or other cardio as a single leg romanian deadlift should highlight any weakness in you legs which may be causing the knee pain. Get the trigger point book if you can.

5. Ghost Frog

Ghost Frog New Member

Very true. Since I started doing squats and lunges more regularly my knees have improved drastically.

My knee problems come from damage done during kneecap dislocations, muscle weakness from resulting inactivity and basically being too heavy, I think.

I've tried out one legged-squats since you posted and have found that they are ok. I think its dynamic stuff like jumping squats and burpees that give me trouble.

Questions
    -On the squats, I have trouble going much below 90 degrees. What are the advantages of going further?
    -Do you know any videos on YouTube, etc showing what Mike on T-Nation is talking about? I'm not sure if I'm doing his exercises correctly.

Cheers.

6. Verx

Verx "Darkness Approaches"

I can only speak from experience but when I go lower the more mulcles are used and the squat becomes a lot harder. It's hard to explan but the musles that surround your butt and back of the leg area are stretched a lot more. Also, your thigh area works harder when getting up because of the greater range of motion.

But stick with what you're comfortable with. Don't push yourself too much as you might injure yourself. That being said, do a good stretch and try going lower if you still have problems, my advice, don't attempt it.

7. flaming

flaming Valued Member

Its similiar to squating atg but its alot harder the glutes are recruited more and the hamstrings and adductors. http://www.powerathletesmag.com/pages/pistols.htm

For the core exercise lie on your back with your legs up and press your low back into the ground using you core I think its the obliques mainly. Then lower your legs as far as you can until your low back lifts up the ground. tense your glutes aswell which helps keep the back flat ive found. PM a mod if your not sure. Keep that back flat position (neutral spine) while your doing your side plank.. well when you do anything.

8. NaughtyKnight

NaughtyKnight Has yellow fever!

There are no advantages of going ass to grass if it is going to damage your knees. Do what you can. 90 degrees is better than what 90% of gym junkies do, thats if they are even doing Squats.

9. Socrastein

Socrastein The Boxing Philosopher

Work on your hip and ankle mobility, and strengthen your posterior chain to work toward full range of motion with the squat.

Squatting with a full ROM is beneficial because it recruits your posterior chain more effectively toward the bottom (which is why a weak posterior chain can inhibit your depth), it teaches your body to stabalize the soft tissue around your knee at a greater degree of knee flexion, which translates into stronger knees that are less vulnerable to injury, and it challenges your balance and flexibility more, making it a more dynamic exercise. Always go as deep as you can without pain and with good form, and always strive to get deeper until you can hit rock bottom.