Deadlifts?

Discussion in 'Health and Fitness' started by BigRed389, Apr 20, 2007.

1. BigRed389

BigRed389 Valued Member

I noticed a lot of lifters here were advocating the deadlift.

Just out of curiosity...what the heck is a "proper" deadlift.

The one I've been shown is one where the weight is lifted using and under/under grip, then you explosively bring it up to your chin to the standing military press position, where you complete the upward phase by extending it up and out, then you let it back down to the start.

On the other hand...I've seen in references that the "standard" deadlift is simply one where you essentially just pick the weight up, stand up, then immediately set it back down.
    Like so: http://www.exrx.net/WeightExercises/ErectorSpinae/BBDeadlift.html

So when you guys advise people to do deadlifts...which ones do you mean?

2. ItalianStallion

ItalianStallion Valued Member

The second one is a deadlift. The first one you described is a clean and press/jerk.

3. BigRed389

BigRed389 Valued Member

Ah thank you.

At least now I know what to call what I'm doing.

The whole compound lifts thing is fairly new to me, and I'm really enjoying them a lot more than the isolation exercises which turned me off of weights in the first place. :D

4. ItalianStallion

ItalianStallion Valued Member

Glad you've seen the light :p

Since you said your still new to deadlifts, heres a nice little guide on how to perform them correctly:

http://www.t-nation.com/readTopic.do?id=459964

5. wazzabi

wazzabi sushi eater

deadlifts are awesome. maybe my second favorite exercise, 2nd to ATG squats.

6. Incredible Bulk

Incredible Bulk Eat-Lift-Eat-Sleep-Grow

all hail to the dead lol

deadlift...not corpses....

7. narcsarge

narcsarge Masticated Whey

Hee hee! Well stated TKD Guy!

Deads are the best! Since incorporating them into my routine I have noticed nice gains in all areas! Best lift in my book!

8. Fishbone.

Fishbone. Banned Banned

If this is a deadlift, What is it when they pull it up over their heads, and hold it in the air for 3 seconds then slam it down? Like they do on the olympics. :confused:

9. TheCount

TheCount Happiness is a mindset

Snatch or Jerk.. the Jerk being part of a Clean and Jerk.

The over and under grip is handy, allows you a steadier grip. Just remember to Alternate it