Crystal Healing

Discussion in 'Health and Fitness' started by cheesypeas, Apr 19, 2007.

1. cheesypeas

cheesypeas Moved on

Traditional healing that works

or

Mumbo Jumbo??

Any thoughts Mappers?

2. Smitfire

Smitfire Cactus Schlong

UTTER mumbo jumbo in my opinion.
    Richard Dawkins does a great job of refutting crystal healing in the Devil's Chaplain. He also makes a good point that claiming such things about crystals actually hides the true beauty of crystals when understood scientifically.

Additionally my girlfriend has a friend into all that cack.
    She kept going on about how the crystal chooses you not the other way round...as my girlfriend pointed out to me...it's funny how really ugly misshapen crytsals don't "choose" people! :eek:

3. CKava

CKava Just one more thing... Supporter

Mumbo Jumbo all over... they look pretty though.

4. inthespirit

inthespirit ignant

Some crystals have certain properties that can be used for certain things. For example, pyrite absorbs heat exceptionally well, quartz regulates rhythm, hence we have quartz watches. Can they be used for healing? Probably by someone who knows what they are doing. Does the crystal hippy guy in Camden market know what he's doing? Probably not, but his eyes are all bloodshot and he smells funny. :D

5. CKava

Can you give any example of a crystal with a property that would it make capable of healing someone? If not why do you think they 'probably' can be used for healing?

6. inthespirit

inthespirit ignant

Beats me mate... better ask someone who knows this stuff... I don’t know if its true and I don’t know its false, I guess maybe I should have used "possibly" instead of "probably". But theoretically, if someone has a swelling, like a swollen ankle or something, perhaps applying some pyrite crystals will take away some of the swelling, much like alcohol would.

7. Su lin

Su lin Gone away

Utter mumbo jumbo! Was watching something on tv the other night where the woman was claiming to a client that crystals can help cure cancer! I am all for alternative therapies but they need to have some kind of proof that it works imo to be able to make such false claims!

Hippies!GRRRRR!

8. Taoquan

Taoquan Valued Member

This would be the first thing I would think of, using a crystals physical properties in this way might make sense??? However, it would have to be putting off some heat I would guess and find out at what temp pyrite absorbs heat etc.
    I know of people that are crystal healers, never seen it work well enough to put my own faith in it. Though for some people it does apparently work, though as with most medicines most of us can agree a certain amount of belief in the medicine or "placebo effect" can also be effective.
    One quote I remember hearing is something along the lines of: "Remember to always at least comfort your patient's spirit. Give them hope, this alone can effect great cures." Though, claiming to cure cancer may be a bit much :D

9. Smitfire

Smitfire Cactus Schlong

"I am all for alternative therapies but they need to have some kind of proof that it works imo to be able to make such false claims!"

That's the point.
    If there was any proof for this stuff it'd stop being "alternative" and start to be "mainstream". Accupuncture seems to be going that way.
    People always claim alternative status believeing that it in some confers legitimacy.
    It doesn't.
    For "alternative medicine" read "no one can prove this works using existing double blind scientific trials and therefore has no proof that it does actually work medicine".
    Do you think that for one minute if crystals showed any proof of efficacy that crystal healers wouldn't be crowing about it from the roof tops?
    To right they would.
    Instead they keep quiet and "alternative" all the while fleecing people of cash.
    The first person to prove crystals have healing "energy" will be world famous, very rich and a nobel prize winner as the founder of a new branch of physics.
    Odd that they don't want to achieve that isn't it?
    And bring crystals to the masses?

It's a scam.

10. slipthejab

slipthejab Hark, a vagrant! Supporter

mumbo jumbo.

my old roommate wrote several 'best selling' books on it.
    He was an Amiga geek who was always late on the rent. He made a small monthly check from writing the pap he did. He had no more interest in crystals and healing than I have in being a 9 year old girl. But he knew where the money was and his publisher was more than happy to get his percentage.

The guy was a bum and so is crystal healing.

11. Thelistmaker

Thelistmaker bats!

Hay! I'm an ubber hippy and even I think it's mumbo jumbo :D

Cautionary tale:

There was some crazy guy in America who was claming to be the reincarnation of all sorts of things and sold healing crystals. He promised some money to a Tibetan monastery if they’d come and tour the US.
    When they where in the US he said he’d give them the money if they’d help him sell these crystals. So he said his crystal whatnots where endorsed by a Tibetan monastery although the monks didn't believe in the crystals themselves.

Unfortunately the crazy guy then said I'll only give you them money if you declare me the head of your monetary :eek: . So the monks refused and he tried to have them deported. I think they are back in Tibet now.

12. thecycle

thecycle Banned Banned

Sure crystals have a power of their own. The bad PR comes from the people claiming to use them.

If you get a huckster or a crook selling anything, he will tarnish the entire industry. There are people who sell bad mortgages, but everyone still knows that a mortgage is a good way to get a house. Nobody completely dismisses all mortgages as bad because of the bad guys selling bad mortgages.

As for your question, I don't know about healing, but I can provide you the name of a gemstone that has power. Jade. Chinese people believe that Jade will help stop possession. As in one person possessing the others body.

Don't believe me? Are you around Asian people? Real Asians, not assimilated Asians. You ever notice the women? All the older Asian women wear jade.

It is not for beauty alone.

13. CKava

No you didn't provide the name of a gemstone with 'power' you provided the name of a gemstone that people 'believe' to have power.

People saying something has magical powers is not the same thing as it actually having magical powers.

Also your stereotype that older asian women wear Jade to ward off possesion is in my experience a load of nonsense. Have you ever been to anywhere in Asia? Also please tell me how you define a 'real' asian?

And even if your stereotype was correct... that still wouldn't prove jade has magical powers it would just prove that some people think it does.

14. NewLearner

NewLearner Valued Member

Yes! Salt crystals help to cure those with an imbalance that are lacking salt. Crystal based deordorants help to "cure" body odor. But I don't think those were the cures you were looking for.

Pretty much the crystals are a bunch of hogwash in terms of healing.

15. Kwajman

Kwajman Penguin in paradise....

They do vibrate at certain frequencies which could help to stimulate certain organs or tissues. But over all I think the only way they could heal would be through the placebo effect kicking in. I suppose if you believe in something enough it can help a medical condition.

16. CosmicFish

CosmicFish Aleprechaunist

Oh come on CKava, how many possessed older asian women do you know of? None! So there must be some truth in it, right?

17. CKava

I hate to be pedantic on this (well actually I don't! :D) but though that 'could' be true it simply isn't. What crystals do you know of that vibrate at specific frequencies that stimulate organs and tissues? For that matter what crystals vibrate particularly well? Wouldn't you be better using something like various sized bells if vibration was the goal?

And COsmicFish your right! How could I have been so blind... Im going out to get some Jade right now Ive been possesed far too much lately!

18. CosmicFish

CosmicFish Aleprechaunist

:D

19. Thelistmaker

Thelistmaker bats!

I'm woundering whether to sig this :cool:

Edit: I read bells as balls

Last edited: Apr 21, 2007
  20. aikiMac

aikiMac aikido + boxing = very good Moderator Supporter

Yes they are pretty, but about the mumbo jumbo -- I have a thought. Let's rework the question from "do they heal of their own inherent properties" to "do they aid in healing" ?

With that as the question, I think we should say, "Yes, crystals can and sometimes even do aid in healing" on account of for some people the crystals stimulate the body's mysterious healing capability. Think "placebo effect." People sometimes get better just because they think that they are getting better. And in those situations -- well, I'm not going to snub my nose at that which works.

Last edited: Apr 21, 2007