Crossfit and Martial Arts?

Discussion in 'Health and Fitness' started by Pompeythegreat, Oct 8, 2012.

1. Pompeythegreat

Pompeythegreat Im Very White Aparently

Already doing Starting Strength, even after two weeks my Seoi Nage has improved drastically. No more drop for me :p

2. Mangosteen

Mangosteen Hold strong not

I wouldn't even say the best at exercise. Many crossfit people train for crossfit while the many ma people train GPP with the benefits of exercise coming second to actual training ma.

3. Mangosteen

Btw the best thing from crossfit persons is mobility wod. The episodes are great to start doing

4. righty

righty Valued Member

How long have you been training MA (I think you mentioned grappling)?

5. Pompeythegreat

I have been doing Karate for 8 years, but i'm stopping soon, so I can focus on Judo which I have done for two years.

6. Bozza Bostik

Bozza Bostik Antichrist on Button Moon

What everyone else said.

I did crossfit for a while. You have to remember crossfit originally was all about being "non-specific", if you want to get fitter/stronger for MAs, then that's a specific goal. So your aims are different.

There is a bit of an odd attitude with crossfit which I don't like. If I wanted to get involved with an elitist cult, I'd join the Hare Krishnas...Free food on Sundays and as much carbs as you want! :D

Last edited: Oct 9, 2012
  7. icefield

icefield Valued Member

Have to comment as I feel this is misinformed.
    I agree with you that Martins Rooney is that very rare thing: an internet presence who has actually trained hundreds of athletes personally, developed a programme that is tried and tested and has personal experience about what he talks about.
    His TWF programme is designed for those who wish to get in shape for MMA and grappling: its logical, progressive, detailed and above all has a proven track record.
    you can start it at any time and any level of fitness.
    He wrote a free 12 week hurricane programme and put in on the web, if you can find it and follow it you will have no problem developing the endurance and stamina to succeed in grappling, although personally I would recommend his training for warriors book and dvd simply because its mouch more detailed and covers the warm up in great detail.
    Its designed so that anyone of any fitness level can take part, don’t be put off by the youtube clips of pros doing the hardest programmes, research and you will see its logical and progressive and anyone can do it

As for crossfit, its many cons for grapplers has already been covered so I wont go there lol

8. Bozza Bostik

Is there routines in the Training for Warriors book? Is it suitable for weaklings?

It's quite cheap, so I might pick it up.

9. icefield

icefield Valued Member

Depends on what kind of routine you are looking for? Strength conditioning or both?
    It has the aforementioned 12 week hurricane template, as well as a sample 8 week workout for a fighter combining strength and conditioning.
    It includes 1 upper body day, one lower body day and two hurricane days. All the days include a detailed warm up, sets and reps and exercise selection. As a strength template its aimed at fighters not lifters so only a few big lifts (ie only chins and bench on upper body day, and only deadlift lower body day), lots of grip work neck work and core work. more core work and groin exercises.
    The book has a lot of exercise descriptions so after 1 8 week block you can simply change the lifts and do another block. It also has his detailed warm up and lots of conditioning exercises
    When Rooney used to write over on dave Tates site the powerlifters questioned his rep range and only lifting twice a week, and he responded saying the hurricane days also include upper body and full body lifts, having more than 1 lower body day when you are also conditioning and doing sports is counterproductive, , and the core and neck are very important to combat athletes and should be worked hard, as is the grip and the groin

Overall it’s a good book if you follow it you will get stronger and fitter

10. Pompeythegreat

Fair enough, my main issue is that he has you doing Clean And Press from the very beginning, and i can see that inuring quite a few people.

11. icefield

icefield Valued Member

Not sure what routine this is from but his training for warriors book only has cleans as part of his complexes, really light weight as in you start with only the bar. He includes the power curl as part of his hurricane days but that’s at week 5 or 6 and again its low weight as its conditioning work not power work? Which book is this example you are using from, I admit I don’t have all his work

12. Pompeythegreat

I am using the one from Ultimate Warrior Workouts. It doesn't have any weights listed in it as well and people can just go wild, that is my main exposure to his work.

13. Bozza Bostik

Cheers Icefield...I'll order that later....and pester you with questions.

We have a nice gym a few kms away for such stuff...full of tyres, sleds etc etc. So I guess I can do the stuff there.

14. icefield

icefield Valued Member

For MMA id go with the TFW book, its aimed at MMA fighters and grapplers not just people looking to get fit, and the weights on the cleans are so low injuries are not that likely

On a side notei have always found it strange that people worry about getting injured doing a clean or snatch, but are happy to bench and shoulder press away ( i have seen more injuries from those to that the OL lifts). Or somehow feel you need a coach for the clean but you can learn the deadlift or squat on your own.

All lifts are technical and require common sense

15. Mangosteen

The only reason you'd need a o lift coach is to get good for lifting comps or make faster progress

flaming - you don't need weights listed, be sensible, don't go wild.
    Also front squatting, power cleans and pressing are much easier for beginners with bad flexibility to do than back squats.

16. Mangosteen

actually Flamming, i'm a little confused about this statement because crossfit does the same thing but to horrendous results without giving beginners time to learn the form or have the necessary flexibility, many coaches actually push beginners. Theres a MASSIVE quality control problem and many of the coaches have no idea how to teach many of the lifts.
    [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M8up6A4QesU"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M8up6A4QesU[/ame]

RANT:
    really look how stupid it is: they've got people doing 50 box jumps and 25 overhead squats on the official WOD for the 9th of october (not everyone can do 24 inch box jumps or overhead squats due to flexibility and general lack of power).
    But it gets better, they put it in a timed workout (making you want to rest very little to complete under short time) after 230 reps of other exercises. at the point where you've reached exhaustion and neuromuscular capabilities are diminishing, it makes NO sense to have someone do incredibly high rep explosive work followed by high rep complex motor skills like the overhead squat.

from the cross fit page WOD for the 27th of september:
    [​IMG]

WHY? when they constantly talk about functional fitness - when will i ever have to do this stupid skill?

Seriously though
    Training by yourself with a bit of common sense is better than anything crossfit or martin rooney can give you.

Strength days are easy to structure:
    medium rep technical movements/skill learning
    Low rep explosive movements
    squatting/pressing movements
    pulling/deadlifting (hip hinge) movements
    some volume work for squat/press/pull/deadlift movements
    high rep/time simple movement (complementing squat/press/pull/deadlift movements) e.g. push ups, pull ups, farmers walks, prowler push, sled drag
    "Core" movements - planches, hanging leg raises ETC.

Conditioning:
    vary between slow cardio and HIIT.
    few technical movements, not pushed to exhaustion.
    bodyweight is usually best for HIIT.
    most your conditioning should come from MA class.

Mobility work - do mobility work daily.

17. Giovanni

Giovanni Well-Known Member Supporter

unfortunately zaad, common sense is sometimes sorely lacking in the nutrition, fitness and martial arts worlds.

cross-fit takes a double hit for its workout and promotion of the paleo diet.

18. Mangosteen

The paleo bit I like. The mixed methodology of cross fit I like.

Thw practice of cross fit is terrible

19. Dead_pool

Dead_pool Spes mea in nihil Deus MAP 2017 Moi Award

Ive just spent the best part of an hour watching 'crossfit fails' on youtube, freakin awesome, one minute im laughing, the next im cringing at people having weights dropping on them.

20. Mangosteen

best videos on the inernet