Creatine and Side-Effects

Discussion in 'Health and Fitness' started by Gray, Jan 5, 2006.

1. Gray

Gray New Member

A week ago, I started taking Creatine to help with my exercise routines. During this past week, I think I have noticed a rather strange coincidence: facial acne. Now I was not aware of any side-effects Creatine causes, but I did find it odd that acne was flaring up at the same time as I was drinking this substance. On a hunch, I searched the web for any information. I found a web page detailing possible side-effects of taking Creatine, here. I experienced only the acne problems mentioned, but as it says, the side-effects vary from person to person. Anyway, this post is not a rant against Creatine, moreso just an observation. I've decided to stop taking this supplement and see how my skin fares. I'll leave a post if anything changes once I've cut Creatine out of my diet.

2. Colin Linz

Colin Linz Valued Member

For info on Creatine try this link to a an AIS document on its use.

3. Gray

Gray New Member

It says, 'page not found'.

4. Incredible Bulk

Incredible Bulk Eat-Lift-Eat-Sleep-Grow

not exactly a proffessional article to read...

have you got anything to link acne to creatine thats made in any nutritional/sports science journal?

5. Incredible Bulk

this kid is a fool, his 2 week opinions, why you have selected this link to post is beyond me :confused:

i took creatine for 3 years, cycling on and off and drinking plenty of water.
    I am yet to see these "long term" side effects this fool mentions.

no doubt people with minimal knowledge and experiance of bodybuilding supplements will jump on the bandwagon and start telling stories how their best friends brother developed roid rage on creatine etc

maybe your acne is linked to your young age/teenager (you were born in 1989!!!) and probable bad diet?

6. iamraisen

iamraisen Valued Member

If i were you Gray, this is what i'd do.

1>Stop taking creatine for the moment.
    2>Get you everyday diet spot on. Dont get too caught up with supplements as they are just that.
    3>Get your primary supplemets integrated into your diet - whey, fish oil and multi vitamins
    4>Leave it six months or so after which evaluate your gains. Are you advancing the way your want? if so great- keep it up. If not then start to look at other supplements such as creatine.

My personal opinion is that creatine is overly expensive and a secondary supplement. I prefer to spend my cash on a good quality protein and multi vits etc (but then money is tight for me).

7. Ero-Sennin

Ero-Sennin Well-Known Member Supporter

Quote:
    I only took creatine for about 2 weeks, and this is what I saw happening to me. Yes, it worked, but I did not like the cost it took to get that muscle. If 5-10 lbs of muscle mass in a month costs $40 and there is a high risk of long term side effects, it's not worth it...at least not to me. I made a mistake and the half a jug of creatine I have left is going in the trash. Nothing can beat hard work in the gym and weight room.

Dude . . . . if 5 - 10 pounds of muscle only cost 40$ a month . . .

Just think, if you just gained 5lbs a month from using a supplement you would gain 60 lbs of muscle a year! I sure as hell would pay for a supplement like that, well worth the cost! But . . . creatine doesn't do that though, and this guy . . . doesn't know what in the world he's talking about. : P.

8. Ad McG

Ad McG Troll-killer Supporter

There are zero side effects of creatine unless you are massively over-dosing or poorly hydrated. Do you get spots from eating steak? I don't think so. Don't link the 2.

9. Gray

Gray New Member

Maybe, maybe not. I'm not saying one way or the other, nor am I claiming to be a health/supplement knowledge source. I'm just pointing out a coincidence, and I'm going to go off it and see the effect on my newly-formed acne.

EDIT: Oh, and Taekwondo Guy... apparently creatine has varying effects on different people, so just becuase it's fine for you doesn't mean someone else might not have problems.

Last edited: Jan 5, 2006
  10. pgm316

pgm316 lifting metal

Good advice!

Even though I've washed down my pie dinner with a cup of coffee with creatine in. My diets spot on! :D

11. Ad McG

Ad McG Troll-killer Supporter

Can I just give a quick warning here - although you didn't call any user here a fool, it's not exactly the done thing to call people retards. Please try to be a bit more polite and objective next time. Thanks.

Gray - You're 16, you're likely to get acne for no reason. There is absolutely no link or possible cause for creatine to cause acne, unless eating steak gives you acne. It's not some crazy drug like many people seem to treat it, it's just a substance that is naturally occuring in normal foodstuffs. It does not have any drug like effects.

12. Incredible Bulk

full apologies, i get rather passionate about people making conclusions from personal opinion into medical fact (the guy from the other site i referred to as a fool) :p

i did bodybuilding for a few years and i'm a mod on a bodybuilding website forum. I answer many questions to noobs young and old about the same topics/myths.

Grey's post was a fair one and i was trying to warn him that the link he posted contained info that was as close to medical fact as pain killers being made from the blood of virgins

in response to grey:

yes, everyone is unique and side effects vary from person to person but acne is not one that is listed in test reports or reviews.
    your acne is more likely to be from your testosterone level being sky high as you are still growing up.

13. bburns1066

bburns1066 Valued Member

I have used the 2 different types of creatine, the mono and the HCL CEE, on the mono i experienced head aches and a bit of an upset stomach but nothing major. On the other hand with the CEE I don't get any of the bloated ness but i do notice that after i take one of the caps (had to cap it as it tasted rank) i would get a burning sensation that is quite nasty.

I noticed great strength gains and my recovery was a lot better,

Just my experience on the 2 creatines, :D

14. Maverick

Maverick New Member

Dude, creatine won't give you acne. There's no mechanism I can think of which would lead to acne from creatine.

15. Colin Linz

Colin Linz Valued Member

16. mai tai

mai tai Valued Member

well one side effect...you may become alittle more "regular" :)

17. mai tai

mai tai Valued Member

i got this info from a doctor i trained under

he claims he read a study.....i believe him as he is a very reputable guy in my opinion

creatine gives you about 5 to 10 lbs increase in a month but tends to stop after 2 or 3 months.....gains stay after you stop....

and of all the sports tested baseball players tend to have the best performance increase....i wouldnt have guessed that...and he seemed suprised as well.

18. Maverick

Maverick New Member

nope, that's way too much.

19. Colin Linz

Colin Linz Valued Member

How much of this weight gain is muscle mass and how much is water retention? The AIS don’t recommend it for sports requiring high strength to body weight ratios or sports competing in weight divisions for this reason.

20. Incredible Bulk

wow, i'm convinced...