Comparison of Stretching Devices

Discussion in 'Health and Fitness' started by Van Zandt, Oct 4, 2008.

1. Van Zandt

Van Zandt Mr. High Kick

Hi,

I have noticed a recent increase in the number of enquiries related to stretching machines and their effect in regard to flexibility development. A lot of different devices are available on the market, each with its own price tag (ranging from £10 to £200) and its own set of claims. I've tried and tested pretty much every machine available and today I would like to share my findings with the greater MAP public. I hope in some way this thread will help you come to your own conclusions about deciding on which device you should (or should not) buy.

Before I get down to the actual comparisons of these machines, I should probably explain my own viewpoint on this subject. Many experts in the field of flexibility development (who obviously have far more knowledge than I) state that machines are a waste of time, and each gives his or her own reasons. Examples are Kurz and Tsatsouline, who advocate that their methods of stretching (which are strikingly similar) are the best and machines are not needed. Whether or not this is because buying a machine that proved effective would prevent you from buying their products... well, I'll leave it up to you to draw your own conclusions. I have some degree of knowledge in this subject, and I will advise you of my opinions based purely on my own experience. I will not push anyone towards one particular stretching method or model. However, I do personally advocate the use of stretching machines to supplement other stretching methods. I do not believe using a stretching machine alone will accomplish the goals you seek. But when used in conjunction with other methods of stretching (such as dynamic, active and isometric stretching), I think stretching machines are very effective.

Anyhoo, enough of that. On to the comparisons!

Product # 1

Name: Ry-Ko Leg Stretcher
    Price: £24.99
    Type: Manual pulley system
    Manufacturer Details:

- Adjustable, improves the height and power of martial artist kicks.
    - Size (H)7cm, (W)175cm, (D)97cm.

Image:

[​IMG]

Review:

I found this to be an uncomfortable and somewhat ineffective stretching device. The pads (that place against your ankles) rub against your skin and are very uncomfortable. The cord that attaches the pulling handle to the frame of the machine snapped after less than a week of moderate use. There is no indicator to gauge your progress, and you have to keep the handle taught in order to hold the stretch (which keeps your body tense and unable to relax into the stretch). Good at isolating the adductors but no way to lock the mechanism in place in order to work the hamstrings and lumbar muscles.

Verdict: 2/5

Product # 2

Name: SplitFlex
    Price: £99 + £15 delivery
    Type: Manual pulley system
    Manufacturer Details:

- 1 year limited warranty
    - Made in the USA
    - Made of 6061-T6 aircraft aluminium
    - Weighs only 3.5 lbs
    - 100% washable
    - High quality foam grip material

Image:

[​IMG]

Review:

Very comfortable to use and rather effective. Speedy delivery. Lightweight and portable so it's easy to take to the gym/dojo. The rope pulley system locks in place, which makes it easy to effectively stretch the adductors, hamstrings and lumbar muscles. Easy-to-use quick release mechanism. Ropes are high quality and don't tether easily. If the thread on the foot loops hadn't ripped apart (effectively ending my use with this device), I would have given it 4 out of 5. Note: I did contact the manufacturer and request a replacement, which they sent out almost immediately. However, the same problem with the thread of the foot loop occurred so I decided not to bother with it again. Otherwise a pretty decent device.

Verdict: 3/5

Product # 3

Name: ML1 Leg Stretching Machine
    Price: £149
    Type: Manual ratchet system
    Manufacturer Details:

- No leaky hydraulics or cables
    - Comes fully assembled
    - Stretch out to 190°
    - Padded back support with decline setting

Image:

[​IMG]

Review:

Delivery took 2 weeks, even though I was promised it would take 7 days or less. Item came fully assembled as advertised, but the leather seat had a five inch tear and the ratchet system wasn't working. A replacement arrived five days later. I found the leather padding too hard and uncomfortable to work with when stretching. Again the ratchet system malfunctioned, this time after about two weeks of use. The wheels also became rather wobbly and I decided to throw it out and cut my losses rather than end up injuring myself with a piece of dodgy kit. A nice idea and I would award it 2 out of 5, but the poor workmanship and bad delivery times are enough to knock it down to a 1.

Verdict: 1/5

Product # 4

Name: Versaflex by Century Martial Arts
    Price: £210
    Type: Manual ratchet system
    Manufacturer Details:

- Stretches to 190° with degree indicator
    - Quick release lever
    - Two position stretching arm
    - Stretching handles on each thigh deck
    - Rugged steel construction
    - Durable 2 colour powder coat finish
    - New Deluxe upholstery
    - Multi position Thigh Pads
    - degree indicator to chart stretching progress
    - Operating Mechanism
    - Quick Release Lever
    - Free instructional DVD by Bill "Superfoot" Wallace

Image:

[​IMG]

Review:

One word comes to mind when talking about the Versaflex: Professional. It is by far one of the most expensive stretching machines available, but in my opinion it is also the best. You are paying for quality workmanship and a machine that truly works. And I'm not just saying this because I'm a fan of Bill Wallace, who endorsed this device :) Some online reviewers complained about the time required to assemble this machine; sorry, but I found this exceedingly easy and quick to put together. The ratchet system is easy to use and a brilliant idea (by far an improvement on the ML1), and the degree indicator gives you a clear indication of your progress. It is comfortable to use, and the adjustable knee pads account for different size legs. It is the only product on the market to come with an instructional DVD, which is also a quality item lasting 45 minutes and gives some great ideas on routines. Best of all, it lasts (9 months and counting of daily use and not a single fault!). An amazing piece of machinery and well worth the investment if full splits (and beyond!) are your goal.

Verdict: 5/5

Please note: all prices and details were correct at time of submitting this thread.

I hope this helps. Please post any questions/comments.

Regards,

Dan

Last edited: Oct 4, 2008
  2. Rajveer

Rajveer Valued Member

I found this post really useful, however I've had some unfortunate bad luck with my Versaflex (or should I say my 2). Both have had the problem where the rachet which grips the gear wears down and ends up not being able to hold the gear at greater stretches. Now with any pressure from my legs, the rachet simply pops out from the gear, so I can't get any stretching done :mad: Anyone had this problem before?

P.S. Mods, feel free to move this post if you want to keep this thread clean.

Last edited: Nov 22, 2008
  3. Van Zandt

Van Zandt Mr. High Kick

Who was your supplier? I bought mine through Bytomic as did my friend, and both of ours have lasted over 10 months without problems.

4. Rajveer

Rajveer Valued Member

I got it from a shop called Playwell, they've got quite a large store and I chose them as they're located not far from me. I'll return this one aswell and give Bytomic a shot. Just to make sure, which model do you have? Apparently mine is the latest 1557, maybe they changed the ratchet system for the worse?

5. Van Zandt

Van Zandt Mr. High Kick

I have the 1557 series as well, as does my friend. Interestingly another colleague of mine bought their Versaflex from Bytomic over a year ago, and although they haven't used it all that often, it is still in great condition. Not sure why yours keep wearing down though.

6. AndyT

AndyT Valued Member

Rajveer,

I have exactly the same issue, after 2 months :mad: however Playwell are being very helpful and I hope to have a repalcement part shortly...

I also found that my Versaflex won't go past 175 degrees! Not good!

Did you ge a working Versaflex in the end?

Superfoot: does yours go past 175 degrees? If so, what does it go up to?

All the best,

Andy

7. Van Zandt

Van Zandt Mr. High Kick

Andy,

First time I assembled it, I could only get to 175-180. After a bit of jigging about it now goes to 190 easily.

8. AndyT

AndyT Valued Member

Superfoot,

Ah excellent, there is hope :) I should get the replacement part in the next few days and then I'll look and see what's restricting it to 175 as stopping there is no good :(

Can you remember off hand what you needed to change? No biggie if you can't as now I know you had the same issue I can look into why.

All the best,

Andy

9. Van Zandt

Van Zandt Mr. High Kick

I had to mess about with inserting the two wires and make sure the counter was at a certain angle when fastening them in.

10. Rajveer

Rajveer Valued Member

Hi Andy, I haven't had time to exchange it for a 3rd one yet (months of exams, this n that). Playwell exchanged mine when I took it into the store, but honestly I'm not sure if a 3rd one won't have the problem, think they must have received a dodgy batch or maybe Century are cheaping out on the gear and latch trying to cut costs (only an assumption, don't read into it)? I can still get a really good stretch by holding it in position, but not sure if they'll give me a refund now. If I were you, and the second one isn't any better, I'd get a refund and try Bytomic where Superfoot got it from. Good luck!

P.S. Mine only stretches out to 180 degrees, think it was mean't to go to 190?

11. Van Zandt

Van Zandt Mr. High Kick

Hmm... *checks angle with a protractor* Yup, that's 190 alright :)

Of course, that's 190 without my fat butt on there! ;)

Interestingly on the DVD with Bill Wallace he cranks it out to 190 too.

12. AndyT

AndyT Valued Member

Grrrr.... need that 190 working on mine now ;) If I can keep it at 180 it will mean I can long stretch, but will take this up with Playwell once I get the replacement parts....

Thanks for the info, much apprecaited.

All the best,

Andy

13. AndyT

AndyT Valued Member

Rajveer,

Ah ha... I found that with an additional washer by the counter that clicks into the teeth of the main cog corrects the dodgy angle that causes the problem.... I'll be testing it this weekend ;)

All the best,

Andy

14. Van Zandt

Van Zandt Mr. High Kick

No worries :cool:

15. AndyT

AndyT Valued Member

Arrgghhh..... so..... instead of a replacement part, I got enough parts to replace half the machine. Playwell have been very helpful, BUT after putting the new parts on, it's worse than before. Now the counter doesn't grip the cog AT ALL! :bang:

Playwell have been most helpful and now looking into this latest issue.

Century quality control springs to mind:mad:

16. Van Zandt

Van Zandt Mr. High Kick

Andy,

Man, you sure are having bad luck with the Versaflex! Seems to be an inherent problem with the design, although I think it may just be the batch from Playwell (Rajveer got his from there too). I vaguely remember the folks at Bytomic saying that Century made them buy a batch in bulk, and ended up sending the whole lot back because they were faulty. Never had a dodgy batch since. Maybe Playwell needs to do the same?

Maybe I should re-word my original post to "The Versaflex is great... when it isn't falling to pieces!" :)

I would offer to give you mine, but I handed it over to a friend just this weekend! Sorry!

17. AndyT

AndyT Valued Member

That's very kind. Playwell are doing a good job trying to work this out. To be honest if the next one is no good it's all going back. I enjoy stretching without the Verseflex, but have wanted one for years which prompted the purchase. It takes up quite a bit of space, so a working unit or none at all is good with me :)

I can see the design fault in the two I've had, it's the counter and how loose it is on the spindle, and the spring pulling it.

I hope to get an answer from Playwell on Monday with a resolution from Century....

All the best,

Andy

18. jazzysingh

jazzysingh Valued Member

i broke my versaflex. ##i actually got it from ebay and was practicallyin BRAND new condition when i got it.

it used to go to 190 no probs. and i felt the benefits. now it goes to 175 max. plus the rachet bit broke. maybe overuse? not sure.

its useless to me right now cos its broke, plus isnt doing much. (thats when i stick a nut n bolt thru to try get sum use out of it)

my question is.... where can i get a replacement part??

any tel numbers? email addys? or website to help me?? thanks

19. AndyT

AndyT Valued Member

You may be best of calling Century (http://www.centurymartialarts.com/Fitness_Stretching/Stretching/Versaflex.aspx) - after 3 of mine broke with a very similar issue, I got the 4th but it's still in it's box under my bed, I just can't bring myslef to build it and for it to break again!!!

I've lost all confidence in the product and would certainly not recommend it to anybody based on my experience.

Playwell were extreamly helpful, and I would have no hesitation recommending them.

I hope Century can help you out. Let us know...

20. jazzysingh

jazzysingh Valued Member

thank u so much for this helpful reply. i wil contact them today and report back with the reply i get.