Chronic Overtraining Syndrome?

Discussion in 'Injuries and Prevention' started by Combat Sports, Sep 2, 2023.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. icefield

icefield Valued Member

I meant your not alone in pushing your kids too hard and leading to injury or burnout in them.

let's look at some more the titles of threads you have started shall we to see why I might think this?
    "My daughter needs help" In hat thread you talked about something pops whilst she is doing crossfit, she also boxes and does wrestling and wants to be an MMA fighter, at 12 years of age?
    This threads called "chronic over training"
    There's another thread called "persistent pain in both ankles"
    And another called "shoulder issue"
    Yet another called "sore for a week"

Simon likes this.
  2. Combat Sports

Combat Sports Formerly What Works Banned

But I am not the one who "pushed them too hard".

Yeah, lets read titles of threads and not discuss the content in them. That's all the proof we need right? lol. Maybe in a witch hunt.

Yep, I just referenced that thread as you all behaved absurdly and it did finally end positively but it was only after several posts of me fending off your fictional versions that you assumed took place. The doctors were having problems diagnosing an issue. I had hoped perhaps someone else had a similar issue and could help diagnose it. Instead what I got was people writing fiction stories of me overtraining my daughter. Telling me that unless I ignored her doctor's orders of taking her to physical therapy I was an evil parent for not letting her rest. (Despite the fact that she had rested for over a month before going to physical therapy. But most of you just invented lies that I was just not letting her rest anyway. With zero evidence to that effect.) I had to spend a great deal of effort sifting through all the male bovine excrement you were flinging into the conversation to get to the few useful insights I was looking for because you were all engaged in an Inquisition with about as much evidence is I knew how to swim so therefore I must be a witch. One person even suggested I was making her do all of those activities at the same time! And again, ZERO evidence to that effect. Just stuff made up by people looking to feel like they did something good in the world by attacking someone on the internet.

Yeah...wherein I describe his high school coaches demanding he take on an insane work regiment, and me as the parent finally having to intervene and get him out of that program. That's clear evidence that I must be the one overtraining him huh? Yeah, lets just look at the name of the threads and then we have everything we need on this witch. And in this thread, you all went on making ridiculous statements about what I must be doing, when the situation was not in my control at all. And that I had to take control over it to PREVENT HIM FROM FURTHER OVERTRAINING. And instead of any insight any of you might have on overtraining and how best to recover from it, I get further fictional stories about what I must have been doing. I remember in some of the other threads people would just demand that I shut up and let the coaches direct my kid's training. Well, that is how this worked out. My son has now been in pain for months and it wasn't from anything I told him to do. It was literally from things his COACHES MADE HIM DO. And I had to literally uproot my entire family to get him away from them.

Yes. And in that story I took him out of all activity for months until we could find out what was wrong. It turned out to be a growing pain issue. And had nothing to do with any training he had. And vanished entirely.

....and? Athletes get shoulder issues all the time. Nothing in that proves I overpushed anyone. The doctors eventually figured out that his right shoulder is structured in a way that will be an issue for him, we got him a device specifically to address it and it went away.

Yes. Because he went to a camp/clinic he has been to many times and for some reason was unusually sore. I inquired to ask if this had happened to anyone else, again trying to ascertain what is wrong. And he ceased all training until I could try to get some answers.

Despite all the fiction stories you guys wrote looking to have your virtue signal moment to show how virtuous you are for attacking evil sports parents, the reason I look into these things is MY KIDS wished they could get back to it. But can't. And the medical system particularly for people who are poor is apt to try to get you out of their office as fast as they can. My daughter is still haunted by not being able to wrestle. She still wears her gear every day as her wardrobe and has all her medals and trophies up on her wall. She was a national champion and even her therapist defended her right to participate in court because her mother didn't want her mother didn't want to be bothered to go to tournaments anymore as her therapist identifed wrestling as being a big part of her coping over abuse that happened to her. (And no...not in my house.)

My son has been severely depressed. He was undefeated and ranked in the top 5 in the state before this situation made him stop. Sometimes when he is coaching he can't help himself and tries to wrestle again but it's too painful and he will pay for it for days. The doctors have been utterly useless.

Maybe rather then spending so much energy going through the NAMES of past threads to find some ammunition to justify your absurd accusations you could take just a moment and assume that maybe, just maybe my kids wish they could continue and they can't. And I am just trying to help them.

Or Maybe, just leave me alone. I am in a very painful situation and fending off asinine accusations from people is not what I came here for.

Have any insight on overtraining syndrome? Know anyone with it? How did they recover? Did they recover? That's what I came here for.

3. Simon

Simon Administrator Admin Supporter MAP 2017 Koyo Award

Maybe stop posting the same thing time and again.

With everyone giving you the same opinion maybe it's time to look inside.

Everyone you ever meet is fighting a battle of some sort.

Not all of us blame everyone else.

Answers are aften to be found within the question, so maybe it's time to read your own posts with new eyes.

4. icefield

icefield Valued Member

Can't see the woods for the trees and all that. I didn't even have a go at you just pointed out your not the only parent who does the below, and it isn't unique to the states was my point originally to another poster, I never specifically singled you out.

Putting kids through multiple disciplines which puts stress on their young growing bodies leads to injuries and stress, as does putting pressure on them to succeed and be the best, additional camps, extra practise and so on. You are the one putting them into these programs, these schools no?

But to answer your question yes I have seen and been part of chronic over training or chronic stress on the central nervous system, recovery from this takes a long time you need rest and recovery and to switch training from forms of training that effect and stimulates the Sympathetic Nervous System (SNS) to training that is more in line with stimulating your Parasympathetic Nervous System (PSNS)
    So light easy cardio, breath work, avoiding all stress as much as possible

It takes months to undo and recover from

5. Combat Sports

You guys are not "everyone". I am not at fault for something that took place when I was not even present. That's not even remotely rational. You are gaslighting me. I don't need new eyes, people need to actually just react to what I actually said instead of writing fiction stories about what was taking place and then trying to hold me accountable for the fiction stories they wrote. When a group of people engage in toxic behavior it doesn't make the person they are targeting wrong automatically.

I just won't bother anymore.

Last edited: Oct 10, 2023
  6. Combat Sports

UH NO. That is not what happened. That is a lie.

I describe to you a situation wherein I had to basically rescue my son from coaches who were insanely overtraining him, and somehow the story became about how the whole thing was my fault. How? Because over the past TEN YEARS I have come here sometimes to ask for anecdotes to hopefully help diagnose issues.

Did you actually READ what I posted? It's like now you are trying to piece it back together from your fictional version of it. Over the years they want to camps. Taking kids to sports camps for the sports they want to be good at, does not make one a bad parent. Nor does it mean I was pressuring them. My son actually turned down going to an amusement park once because he enjoys one of the camps in particular. I let my kids set the goals. Exactly as I said at the previous thread after the previous witch hunt, if my kids told me tomorrow that they wanted to take up stamp collecting, I would sell their gear and go buy stamps. My son took interest in guitar and I spent more on that and continue to do so then I ever did on wrestling. As I pointed out earlier, I took him to high school as he wanted to be an elite wrestler we went to an elite high school. His coaches assigned an absurd training regiment to him. When your kids are in scholastic sports you basically have no control over the situation at all save to simply leave, and in so doing generally lose up to a year or more of your eligibility to participate. He wanted to wrestle in college so getting recruited to one is generally only going to happen if you do well in high school.

Your "evidence" was to look at the titles of threads and leave out ANY CONTEXT and then judge me based on that. We resolved all of this the last time. It's like all of you have simply forgotten.

It honestly feels like your entire argument is "Putting your kids in sports and giving them opportunities they ask for to achieve the goals they set makes you a bad parent." Yes there are some bad sports parents out there. You basically engaged in profiling because I even dared to have a kid in sports at all.

FANTASTIC. Why did it take THAT LONG to finally answer the actual question?

As of now he has been in full rest since March. Very little activity. Sometimes just demonstrates moves for the team. I will look into the light easy cardio. I was paranoid to even have him do something like that.

One of the things that bothers me the most about fending off everyone's fictional version of events, is that while I would like him to be able to continue as HE does not like ending something he has been working on for so long this way, it's entirely possible he will never be able to return. He has made it clear to me he just wants me to coach him and if not he just doesn't trust other coaches to take care of him anymore. We have a great working relationship as in the past couple of years we designed his training regiment together. When I had to put him in scholastic sports you are subject to the whims, and/or possible incompetence of coaches. And the politics of the teams. We are not talking about whether or not he will ever return to wrestling at this point. We are talking about his quality of life. If he decides he just wants to play guitar only that is what he will do.

I ask for advice about that, and all you guys have for me is inventing lies about what took place and then gaslighting me that maybe I should act as though the nonsense you guys made up is real.

If anyone has any more information about CHRONIC OVERTRAINING SYNDROME and how best to help my son even just be able to mow the lawn if he wants to, I would love to hear it.

7. Simon

Simon Administrator Admin Supporter MAP 2017 Koyo Award

I'll not have people called liars.

Thread closed, as we are just going round in circles.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.