Can't sleep

Discussion in 'Health and Fitness' started by Hapuka, Jul 26, 2007.

1. DaveSlater

DaveSlater Valued Member

i suffer from occaisional bouts myself more often than not i find it very difficult to get to sleep but once i'm there i don't wake up for anything!

every 6-8weeks i'll miss a whole night of sleep it's like my body needs to reset the clock or something

anyways here's my tips

1) no caffiene or large amounts of carbohydrates after 5pm - all that energy you've eaten just keeps you awake (better still cut all caffiene out)

you should be aiming to have a predominently carb intake in the morning fading into a predominently protein intake at night (when your body repairs itself) having said that a couple of oatmeal type biscuits 10-15mins before bed can do wonders

2)if you're lying in bed unable to sleep get up and walk around for 5 mins make yourself a herbal tea and let the frustration leave before trying to sleep again

3) pick a time to wake up and stick to it rain or shine

come hangover or sleepless night the only way is to say i'm getting up at 7am regardless and after a few mornings of this you will want to go to bed earlier

and the golden rule is when that urge to go to bed occurs ACT ON IT! don't sit there thinking "oh i've only got another 30mins left of this film, i'll go to bed then"

all that happens is that your body and mind switch into endurance mode and turning that off is really reallly hard

Last edited: Jul 28, 2007
  2. Shadow_of_Evil

Shadow_of_Evil wants to go climbing...

It's very basic. I'll just echo what's already been said to help reinforce it.
    You need to be more active.

You wont feel tired if your body isn't doing anything tiring.

3. NaughtyKnight

NaughtyKnight Has yellow fever!

Thanks to waiting around to start work, I have developed insomnia. Just goes to show that if you dont have a set routine to keep you busy, your sleeping patterns are affected.