can't sleep after training

Discussion in 'Health and Fitness' started by konfused, Aug 18, 2011.

1. konfused

konfused New Member

Hi guys, im training twice a week (BJJ) and at the end of the class we spar for about 15-25 minutes . As this is about 9.pm I find i'm unable to sleep as i have too much adrenaline in my system and knock off at about 3 am.

Does any one have any ideas to get some kip?, i'm tired of counting sheep.

2. Master Betty

Master Betty Banned Banned

train harder. I sleep like a baby after training.

3. righty

righty Valued Member

Adrenaline shouldn't really last you that long.

Firstly, take a look at what you are consuming that entire day and make sure there are no stimulants in there e.g. caffeine.

Make sure you have a regular sleep pattern. Aim to go to bed and sleep the same time each night.

When you get home after training make sure to wind down and relax. Don't start giving yourself blow by blow replays and analysing your sparring so much. Have some dinner, a nice hot shower and relax. Read a book or something then go to sleep.

4. ScottUK

ScottUK More human than human...

I get back from training at 11 and can't sleep until at least 12. It's terrible.

5 hours of adrenaline? That sounds like a record. You need to tap that off and sell it.

5. Master Betty

Now we know where sex panther comes from.

6. Simon

Simon Administrator Admin Supporter MAP 2017 Koyo Award

7. robertmap

robertmap Valued Member

Hi 'konfused',

Take a pillow to training with you, ask your last sparring partner to choke you out, nap in the corner of the dojo...

Failing that, look at Autogenics.

Also develop a routine 'counting sheep' or whatever that you do EVERY night, then on training nights do the same routine...

Also, don't beat yourself up, worrying about not sleeping will act to keep you awake... just relax...

8. C Denny Run*

C Denny Run* Valued Member

It happens to me all the time. I have my fiancee give me a back massage, and I'm out like a light! That, and a glass of wine never hurts:whistle:

9. jumpfor joy

jumpfor joy Valued Member

Me too!

OMG I train 1 hour in the am and 1 1/2 hours at night from 5:30-7:00 sometimes Im up until 4:00 am, I just hate it ! If I don't train I sleep like a baby. I never had sleep problems ever!

10. Yohan

Yohan In the Spirit of Yohan Supporter

I used to have the problem too. I recommend you eat a large meal, take some melatonin and lie down to read a book.

11. Simon

Interesting Yohan. Can you buy a melatonin suppliment?

12. Frodocious

Frodocious She who MUST be obeyed! Moderator Supporter

I think you can get them over the counter in the USA, but may need a prescription in the UK.

13. Master Betty

i wouldn't recommend anyone eats a large meal before going to bed. That's a good way to put weight on.

14. Simon

This is an interesting area for debate, although I don't want to derail the thread.

Paul McKenna in his book I can help you lose weight says you should eat when you are hungry, even if that is late at night.

I can't see how you put on weight if you are eating the correct amount for the energy expended throughout the day. It is only extra calories that makes you gain weight, unless you guys know otherwise.

15. Master Betty

Because you burn off calories that you've already ingested, you can't use a whole bunch of energy then eat. Doesn't work like that.

If I've consumed 1500 calories and used 1900 during the day then go home starving and eat another 300, the body doesn't tally it all up and say "well, today we're 100 calories in deficit, that's weight loss!" What the body does is consume the 300 calories then go to sleep. During that sleep you store the calories as fat since you don't use them at all, then first thing in the morning you get up and have breakfast - adding more calories.

16. Simon

Excellent post MB. :cool:

17. Microlamia

Microlamia Banned Banned

Odd. I regularly eat late at night because that's a time I naturally get hungry. I still have a horrible time gaining weight.

18. Master Betty

You probably just don't eat enough full stop. It's also not how much you eat but WHAT you eat. If you're eating a healthy diet you're actually MORE likely to put the weight on correctly quicker because your body will have all the necessary minerals and vitamins required to function properly.

19. Microlamia

Microlamia Banned Banned

Oh I do, and I have managed to gain some muscle mass, just really really slowly, lol...

20. Rebel Wado

Rebel Wado Valued Member

As for sleeping, I think having a lot on your mind can keep people up. I know if I work out and have something cool to think about, it can keep me up late, so I learned to write things down (have a note pad by your bed). Just write the ideas down and then you can forget them until later instead of having the thoughts in your mind all night.

Another thing about the mind racing, things like television can seem like it calms down the mind, but really the mind can go into a sort of vegetable state but the heart is still racing. So I remember some parenting advice to not watch anything on television within an hour of going to bed, spend the hour before bed reading a book or just relaxing.

----------

As for gaining weight, I believe there is a difference between weight gain and healthy weight gain.

One of the best times to eat healthy foods is after working out because of a few reasons. (1) One is that the body is at a higher metabolate rate sometimes for several hours after working out. What this means is that the body is still burning calories at a faster rate for a few hours after working out. This is why just walking 20 minutes a day twice a day can mean losing weight, it is more than the 40 minutes of walking that burns the calories but an overall higher metabolism for most of the day. (2) Also after a workout, the body needs to replensish itself and so it is more likely to absorb the nutrients from the food rather than store it as fat.

Now not all food is created equal. Most of the vegetables and foods today aren't nearly as nutrious as the same amount a hundred years ago. A friend of mine told me to get the same nutritional value from a bowl of spinach from 1950, today you would have to fill up a bath tub full of spinach. So you end up eating a lot more calories just to get the nutrition your body needs. You may think you are eating a lot, but your body isn't getting the nutrition it needs so it is still starving.

So if you want to lose weight, eat organic or more nutrious foods, your body will then not be as hungry all the time. After a small nutrious meal, you will feel full...

Now if you are trying to gain weight, you can do the opposite, eat a bunch of empty calories or fatty foods with little other nutritional value. Even though you are eating a lot, your body isn't getting what it needs and you will still be hungry. This is unhealthy weight and probably is really bad for your heart.

Gaining healthy weight is very close to what MB said, eat a lot of healthy foods and I would add, drink a lot when you eat so as not to get dehydrated. And work out a lot too for power training.

For you Corona, if you want to gain weight, looking at statistics in my observations, all the slimmer people I know that moved to fighting full contact kickboxing or Muay Thai bulked up very quickly (within 6 months) they gained a lot of weight. Something about the training, the eating, and hitting and getting hit makes the body want to bulk up for power. IMHO.

Last edited: Aug 19, 2011