Can exercise cause women harm?

Discussion in 'Health and Fitness' started by Kunoichi, Feb 20, 2005.

1. Kunoichi

Kunoichi Valued Member

Sorry to any guys who read this, I know you probably hear enough complaining from your wifes/girlfriends about their periods but I have a question.

On Thursday at training we were pushing ourselves a bit harder than usual with the cardio. By the time we finished I had a stong pain in my pelvis area. It faded after about 20 minutes but it really hurt! Today my period started (sorry guys for the gory details) and its been heavier than ever plus I have EXCRUTIATING cramp! If it wasn't for painkillers I'd be curled up in a ball lying on the floor right now! The thing is, I've not had cramps with my period in about 6 years and even then it wasnt this bad!

Is this because I exercised too much (although I didn't think I pushed myself THAT much, I'm not too out of shape), is this just a coincidence and I'd probably have gotten cramps even if I didnt exercise hard or am I a medical marvel and this is the first anyone has heard of something like this happening??? :cry: I don't want cramps forever :cry:

Laura :cry:

2. Kwajman

Kwajman Penguin in paradise....

Oh Kickchick???

3. MarioBro

MarioBro Banned Banned

Call your doctor right away if:

• You have a fever.
    • Vaginal discharge is increased in amount or foul-smelling.
    • Your pain is significant, your period is over one week late, and you have been sexually active.
    Also call your doctor if:

• Your pain is severe or sudden.
    • Self-care measures don't relieve your pain after 3 months.
    • You pass blood clots or have other symptoms with the pain.
    • Your pain occurs at times other than menstruation, begins more than 5 days prior to your period, or continues after your period is over.
    • You have an IUD that was placed more than 3 months ago.
    Above is from: http://www.nlm.nih.gov/medlineplus/ency/article/003150.htm

4. kitana_tkd

kitana_tkd New Member

I have had this experience too. Whenever I use to do loads of heavy training like sparring or really physical stuff it use to bring on my period early (with extra pain). I ended up having a period every two weeks and went to the doctor. The doctor said this is common with female martial artists and athletes and sugguested going to The Pill. That's what I did and now I have no problems.

5. Sgt_Major

Sgt_Major Ex Global Mod Supporter

Yeah, my sister got told to go on the pill. Its helped her a lot. She runs, not MA, but dont know if that makes any difference....

6. seikido

seikido New Member

It's probably unrelated, so see if it happens again. If the pain is extreme, it could be that you have a cyst on an ovary, or even endometriosis. Exercise should help, not hurt you. If it happens again, see your doctor.

7. dragon_bunny

dragon_bunny Valued Member

thats kinda bizarre.. i used to get really bad cramps (before i went on the pill) and was always told that excerise was ment to help them which it did when i could bring myself to uncurl from around a hot water bottle and do some!

i think seikido has the best advice - if it happens again go to a doctor

8. Kunoichi

Kunoichi Valued Member

Thanks for the advice everyone. I'm gonna go on the pill (I'm not planning on any kids right now anyway) and hope it doesn't happen again. And if it does I'll pay my doc a visit. I'm glad to know I'm not the only one who's experienced this. I'd always believed exercise helped but I guess you can have too much :(

Thanks again

Laura

9. KickChick

KickChick Valued Member

... don't be so quick as to say that.

Regular exercise actually reduces the chance of menstrual cramps (dysmenorrhea.) .... and also improves blood flow, hence the heavy flow.

But remember.... "everything in moderation". The key is not to overdo.

Try these Abdominal Stretching Exercises ... they help me after training workouts.... nothing stops me :D

... hey Kwaj, I seem to know a bit more about PMS :D ;) :eek:

10. Kunoichi

Kunoichi Valued Member

Don't worry, I haven't been discouraged ;)
    I'm feeling mucho better today and its back to training tonight :D

11. dragon_bunny

dragon_bunny Valued Member

oh this is a bit of a random side note but if you do have an unusually heavy period it might be an idea to take an iron pill or eat more red meat - helps prevent anemia which i got now and again..

ok end of randomness :)

12. Ghost Frog

Ghost Frog New Member

I used to get bad abdominal pains during heavy training sessions when I was a beginner. In my case, it turned into 'runners trots' brought on by exercising harder than I was used to, dehydration and eating too much sugary stuff too close to training:
    http://www.ehow.com/how_8932_prevent-runners-trots.html

If you've got very dehydrated the day before your period, or have suffered diarrhea then you might suffer from worse cramps. Although, like kickchick says most people find that you get reduced cramps with exercise. I'd suggest speaking to your doctor if it happens again.