Calf Muscle

Discussion in 'Injuries and Prevention' started by SteelyPhil, Jul 10, 2007.

1. SteelyPhil

SteelyPhil Messiah of Lovelamb

Wasn't entirely sure where to put this, but figured that this was a good a place as any (as i'm a newbie and have a question, if it's wrong feel free to hurl abuse/ move it).
    During stance work for WC I've found that my leg has difficultly supporting my weight, I think this is my calf muscle as my leg is slightly bent during the stance (correct if i'm wrong).
    So my question is, what exercise can i do to make my calf muscle stronger? I'd rather have something that isn't too knee intensive (I come from a long line of Arthetric Knees by the time we are 30)
    Cheers for any help.

2. TheCount

TheCount Happiness is a mindset

The calf muscle deals with the ankle and foot rotation/movement. If your leg is bent while doing stances and straining this is a deficiency in Hamstring, Gluteal and Quad strength (in order of severity). The hamstring and quad is what will keep you leg rigid, the gluteal is what stops the entire lot moving.

You can solve this with pistols, support yourself with 1 finger and let your glutes/legs take the straing. Simple things like standing on one leg can improve the muscular control you need too.

3. medical 2933

medical 2933 Banned Banned

A calf strain (torn calf muscle) occurs when part of the muscle of the lower leg (gastrocnemius or soleus) is pulled from the Achilles tendon. It is similar to an Achilles tendon tear or rupture, but occurs higher up in the back of the leg.