Bulking up

Discussion in 'Health and Fitness' started by Vimtoforblood, May 12, 2005.

1. JinkokMike

JinkokMike New Member

good solution knightcommander.

2. NaughtyKnight

NaughtyKnight Has yellow fever!

Damn straight, to the victor goes a case of the losers beer. :D

3. Ad McG

Ad McG Troll-killer Supporter

Or maybe a better solution is see what the experts say, THEN try it out and see what works for you. Don't make the mistake of saying "but I worked out fine", it's whether you worked out, good better or as best you can is what we're talking about. Nobody knows for SURE what would have happened had you done something else in a routine, but we can have a good idea.

4. NaughtyKnight

You just dont wanna lose your beer. :Angel:

5. JinkokMike

JinkokMike New Member

Well you can have some good old british beer anyway knightcommander.
    and Adam why do you still want to argue it's best we keep our thoughts and opinoins to our selfs on this matter as no one's going to change there mind on this subject.

6. blessed_samurai

blessed_samurai Valued Member

Oh yes, the old HIIT vs steady state cardio. Alright, somethings Danny, me, and a few others were discussing awhile back that's relevant to this discussion, an article by Dr. Len Kravitz, and an study done in the Journal Sports Med Phys Fitness. 1997 Mar;37(1):18-23. (taken from pubmed.com) NinjaMonkey, I'll get to my short view of fat gaining during bulking at the end of this post in case you get bored with reading the exercise phys stuff.

While HIIT won't burn as many calories durning exercise the total amount of burn will be higher due to the EPOC (this is basically your increased metabolic rate post-exercise). This will lead to more calories burned overall and thus more fat. With steady state the calorie burn during is a bit higher but the EPOC is way low. Actually if you keep the intensity down the overall percentage of calories used from fat will be higher than in a HIIT workout but the total amount of fat and calories will be lower.

on EPOC:

http://www.drlenkravitz.com/Articles/epoc.html

important part of article:

"The evidence suggests that a high-intensity, intermittent-type of training (interval training) has a more pronounced effect on EPOC (Haltom et al. 1999). Also, it appears that resistance training produces greater EPOC responses than aerobic exercise (Burleson et al. 1998). The research suggests that high-intensity resistance exercise disturbs the body’s homeostasis to a greater degree than aerobic exercise. The result is a larger energy requirement after exercise to restore the body’s systems to normal (Burleson et al. 1998), and thus an explanation for the higher EPOC. The underlying mechanisms that cause the higher EPOC observed in resistance exercise include elevated blood lactate, and an increase in circulating catecholamines (epinephrine and norepinephrine) and anabolic hormones."

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/entrez/query.fcgi?cmd=Retrieve&db=pubmed&dopt=Abstract&list_uids=9190121
    Interpreting energy expenditure for anaerobic exercise and recovery: an anaerobic hypothesis.

Scott CB.

Heart and Lung Group of Savannah, Georgia 31405, USA.

Energy expenditure during and after exercise is composed of aerobic and anaerobic bioenergetics and the energy demands of aerobic recovery. Current attempts to measure energy expenditure include an exercise oxygen uptake + oxygen debt (EPOC) measurement or, an oxygen deficit + exercise oxygen uptake measurement. This investigation illustrates how oxygen debt and oxygen deficit interpretation can effect a total energy expenditure measurement. It was hypothesized that the total energy expenditure for several intermittent bouts of exercise and recovery would be greater than for one bout of continuous exercise and recovery when equivalent work was compared. Exercise was performed under low-intensity and high-intensity conditions. Both oxygen debt and oxygen deficit methodology resulted in similar energy expenditure measurements for both intermittent and continuous exercise. This implies little to no recovery energy demand or considerable methodology errors. Differences in total energy expenditure were found when the oxygen deficit and parts of the oxygen debt (EPOC) were considered separate and independent (p < 0.05). These differences can be accounted for when the data are interpreted utilizing thermodynamic (2nd law) and engineering (in-series efficiency) concepts rather than the heat equivalent of carbohydrate oxidation (20.9 kJ equals one liter of O2). It is suggested that while oxygen uptake provides an excellent representation of aerobic metabolism during exercise and recovery, oxygen uptake may be an inadequate measure of the energetics of lactate production (fermentation). In application, energy expenditure differences appear realistic only for high-intensity, intermittent exercise rather than lower intensity exercise.

Okay, so what does this say? High intensity will burn more fat and improve your energy systems.

NinjaMonkey, I think through food choices, it's very easy to minimize the fat gains while "bulking." I'm not saying anyone is doing it wrong but I think gaining 2 pounds of fat a week is excessive and I think only gaining 1/6th of a pound in muscle and 5/6 of it in fat is to much. While with a true hardcore bulking cycle, the main goal is just to gain as much weight as possible, I think a slower bulk is preferred so close to summer time (when the shirt comes off). While I don't have any numbers based off any studies (I'm sure there are some), a 2 pound gain a week with a 1/4 of that being fat is very possible and realistic. From my own personal experience I've been as high as 198 and as low as 168 and have never lost the visible signs of my abs (how defined they've been is another story). I've posted before how to get your calorie count and shoot for about 500 calories over maintenece level daily. This should give you a 1 pound increase weekly and through healthy food choices very much minimize fat gaining.

7. NaughtyKnight

Wow, nice article, if only a wee bit too hi tech for the likes of me. :D

8. NaughtyKnight

500 Calories? Thats like one of my meals! In fact, thats 1 protein shake!

9. JinkokMike

JinkokMike New Member

Yes well done blessed samurai nice article sure does go in deep on info but I think I just about understood it.

10. nForce

nForce Banned Banned

40kg in 3 months? wow that guy really needs some guidance, sounds like he lost every drop of muscle he ever owned.

11. wynnema

wynnema Valued Member

I don't agree that saying "it worked for my mate" is proof of anything.

12. Ad McG

Ad McG Troll-killer Supporter

Exactly.

13. Maverick

Maverick New Member

Fat loss is one thing, what about cardiovascular health? We know that long-distance runners have the lowest resting heart rates, correct me if i'm wrong but isn't this ideal? Fat loss for me as a MA is a very low priority, as I don't have to make weight classes, who cares about a bit of subcutaneous fat. What I see as paramount importance is the ability of the heart to keep up with intense exercise and varying pace and also to be healthier in general. The HIIT studies I've seen haven't documented this.

14. blessed_samurai

You're right, Maverick but the thread had turned into which style of cardio was best suited for fat loss. I don't think anyone is saying that cardio done for long distances isn't helpful but that's an entirely different animal of its own. Extended periods of cardio help with important physiological benefits-namely dealing with the vessels and blood.

I am however willing to bet that HIIT type cardio will lower a resting heart rate.

15. IRONMAN

IRONMAN Valued Member

forget a gym member ship buy an adjustable bench and a set of adjustable dumbells u can do a million exercises and free weights are the best way in my opinion to bulk up and build strength. plus there easy to store and dont take up alot of room and u wont have to worry about dragging yourself out of the house to get to the gym.

16. Thanks for all the advice guys.
    Would like to see your info on getting more calories.

I find it really difficult to know WHAT and WHEN to eat:

Lunch is at 1.00pm
    I usually have a sandwich or jacket potato, juice, crisps and an apple.

I finish work at 5.30pm
    -When I don't have Tae Kwon Do I usually eat at about 7.00pm. Rice or potatoes, meat and veg.
    - When I have training I have some rice, a banana and a protein shake at 5.30-6.30pm. Training starts at 7.00-8.15ish. I eat a normal meal around 8.45pm and sleep around 10.30-11.00pm.

I don't know when to eat when I have MA. Too soon before and I'm bloated and have the stitch. Too little before and I'm lightheaded. Too late after and surely its not geed sleeping on a full stomach.

What do you guys do?

17. Nick K

Nick K Sometimes a Valued Member

Ooooh - looks a bit light on the protein - and maybe carbs too.

Tin of tuna or tub cottage cheese twice a day as well, with a banana or two to follow?

18. I don't really like tuna. Don't mind bit of cottage cheese with a potato.
    I've heard of some people drinking egg whites?
    Someone suggested creatine?
    Is that good advice?

19. blessed_samurai

For your breakfast, I would do 2-3 fruits, oatmeal, and a cup or two of fat free milk.

During the time that you have little time to eat at 11, hit a protein shake and a piece of fruit.

For lunch, I would tuperware up a serving of each--carrots, broccoli, and (one more vegetable of your choice). You could throw in about 3 boiled eggs and your sandwich.

A good snack between lunch and dinner would be a cup of raw almonds.

Throw in some cottage cheese before bed.

20. NaughtyKnight

He wasnt a weight lifter, lost no strength.