Bruce Lee's school when he first came to the states. And a couple other questions

Discussion in 'Jeet Kune Do' started by JKDan, Dec 7, 2011.

1. JKDan

JKDan New Member

I saw in a documentary that Bruce opened up a school when he first came to the states. I forget which state it was but all I remember is that it starts with a P. Anybody know where it was? Im asking, b/c im just curious to know if it is still around. I believe it was called Jun Fan's Gung Fu.

And my other question is where is there a good school in Chicago, IL that teaches Jeet Kune Do? And also, where on earth (literally) is there a top notch school (if there is one or if there are multiple) that teaches this?

Now i know JKD is not a martial art itself but i dont know what else to call it. I know that jeet kune do is our own preferred combination, if you will, of different types of martial arts. But now I think I've confused myself. If JKD is not a martial art, then are the schools that claim they teach it, legitimate about it and do they know exactly what it is? If they are and they do, wouldn't it and shouldn't it be called Mixed Martial Arts then? I'm confused now. If anybody can help me clear this up, I'd really appreciate. And I'd also be grateful to those answering my other questions.

2. slickoneuk

slickoneuk Member Supporter

I believe JKD is a concept, a way of blending many techniques to make them work for you.

No idea where any good schools are though

3. Hannibal

Hannibal Cry HAVOC and let slip the Dogs of War!!! Supporter

Seattle was his first school.

JKD is a process as much as an art. Think of it as a personal journey toward a specified goal and the most efficient means to get there

I am off to bed now, but will expand on this further tomorrow.

4. American MMA

American MMA Banned Banned

I already answered this question... JKD is not a concept, and Hannibal is correct. JKD is an art as well as a process.

To quote what I said before:

"Bruce Lee opened the very first Jun Fan Gung Fu institute in Seattle, at 4750 University Way, in 1963 to be exact. His assistant instructor at the Seattle school was Taky Kimura, but prior to this time Bruce Lee had also met Linda Emery, James Lee, Allen Joe, Wally Jay, Ed Parker and Ralph Castro, who all had a huge influence on Bruce Lee as time progressed. Bruce Lee published the book, 'Chinese Gung Fu: The Philosophical Art of Self Defense' in 1963, and it is the only book which was ever published during Bruce Lee's lifetime. If you read that book, you will have a very good idea of what Jun Fan Gung Fu consisted of in 1963, when Bruce Lee opened his first school. 'Tao of Jeet Kune Do' actually wasn't published by Bruce Lee, it was published after he died."

"Now i know JKD is not a martial art itself but i dont know what else to call it. I know that jeet kune do is our own preferred combination, if you will, of different types of martial arts" -- JKDan

WRONG!!! :bang:

And that just goes to prove my point about this JKD forum, and what I said earlier in another thread, which everyone wanted to argue with me about... JKD is a martial art. It is not your own preferred combination, or whatever you want to make of it... I'm very upset with the MAP community for allowing people to think that way.

Check these threads for a better understanding:

I say again, MMA is not JKD
    http://www.martialartsplanet.com/forums/showthread.php?t=106242

JKD's structure & JKD's philosophy - What JKD is and isn't
    http://www.martialartsplanet.com/forums/showthread.php?t=106341

Last edited: Dec 19, 2011
  5. ap Oweyn

ap Oweyn Ret. Supporter

You're very upset with the MAP community for allowing people to think that way?

This vibe is precisely why you draw static, AmericanMMA. I, personally, am not in the business of allowing or disallowing anyone else's thought process. I'll make the case for what I believe. If I do a good job, I might even convince a soul or two.

6. Hannibal

Hannibal Cry HAVOC and let slip the Dogs of War!!! Supporter

You cannot control a person's thought process and the only way that one can progress in ANYTHING, let alone JKD is by discovering the "cause of ones own Ignorance"

(edit: Nijered by Ap!!)

My favourite quote by Sijo was an still is

Now breaking that down to it's basic level, it is apparent that he is about PROCESS not PRODUCT

This is why when you are "doing" JKD you are seeking out efficiency. Efficicency in your movement, your attacks, your thoughts and so forth. Taking an example of a Jab

The jab is a front hand shot that can be quick and nippy, driven hard, used to find range, used to assist retreat, used for any number of things. It seen at it's best in boxing. Many JKD stylists insist "Ah, but a jab is not we we do. We use a straight lead and it is not the same as a jab..."

And then demo a power jab

Doh!

JKD is NOT a martial art per se - that is the Jun Fan Gung fu side. At best, the Jun Fan JKD side, because arguably what Bruce did was HIS JKD, in the same way what I do is MY JKD.

And this is again where we have so many problems, because JKD truly is different for each person. Bruce wrote to a Judoka friend of his once describing how to "JKD-ify" Judo. Clearly Bruce felt making what you do realistic, efficient and natural was far more important than doing it according to rote.

Lee also taught different people different things - Bremer was big bruiser type so Bruce emphasised that aspect in him. Wong was small and elusive so Bruce brought that out - Wong was probably easier for him to work with as they were physically similar.

So at it's heart JKD is more about ATTRIBUTES than specifics