Bodyweight training

Discussion in 'Health and Fitness' started by JKD83, May 30, 2012.

1. JKD83

JKD83 Valued Member

Hi folks,

ive started to do bodyweight training instead of weights, namely as i can do this at home and i was bored of going the gym and doing weights.

also heard that you can still gain strength and muscle from bodyweight alone.

ive read through convict conditioning by paul wade and am starting to work through the sets he talks about, starting at step 1 of each exercise and hopefully building up to the elusive step 10.

just wondered if any else had tried the convict conditioning stuff or what their views on it are?

also are there any routines or books i should look at to supplement the exercises im doing - as im starting at step 1 on the exercises they are pretty easy but i dont wanna rush through to steps i think i can do and get stuck?

Any help or opinions would be greatly appreciated

Cheers

2. dormindo

dormindo Active Member Supporter

I know nothing of the convict conditioning book you're talking about, but gymnasticbodies.com is a good site to visit. They also have videos on youtube.

3. holyheadjch

holyheadjch Valued Member

Convict conditioning is alright. The progressions are pretty good and everything is well explained. I think Ross Enamait's books are better, mind.

4. dormindo

Yes, I'll have to second Ross Enamait.

5. Hannibal

Hannibal Cry HAVOC and let slip the Dogs of War!!! Supporter

Third for Ross - undisputed champ!

6. JKD83

JKD83 Valued Member

think I have some of Ross's stuff some where so I will have a look at that, just thought I'd use the convict conditioning as a starting point.

can bodyweight be as effective as weight training?

7. Hannibal

8. holyheadjch

To a point. Eventually you've need to start adding weight to the exercises in order to make further gains.

9. Hannibal

Not necessarily - you just make them harder (one limb, elevate, close grip etc)

10. dormindo

Gymnasticbodies has some advice on progressions, though I will say that I have used some small amount of makeshift weights (ankle weights, backpack full of books, etc.) in order to aid progress on exercises where the next shift was just too much for me to get more than a rep or maybe two poorly done reps out. But overall, progressions themselves are quite ample and challenging in themselves, it's true.

11. Gripfighter

Gripfighter Sub Seeker

depends what your goals are, in most cases it can but its often the harder root.

12. StripedPickles

StripedPickles Valued Member

Just ordered Ross's Never Gymless book after lurking around and reading this thread.
    Thanks guys. :cool:

13. slipthejab

slipthejab Hark, a vagrant! Supporter

Yep Ross's stuff is quality! :)

14. holyheadjch

There still comes a point where you are going to need to add weight. Once you can do 15 bodyweight dips, you're going to need to add a weight belt to get stronger using that exercise.

15. JKD83

JKD83 Valued Member

i knew id have to make the exercises progressively harder which is why i liked the convict conditioning stuff as at the moment there is no way i could do a one arm push up or one leg squat at the moment so give me something aim for.

my main aim is to be stronger and have better overall conditioning to aid my martial arts, looking a bit more ripped would be a bonus but not the main aim.

been looking at some kettlebell stuff as well by Pavel T so might do a mixture of bodyweight and kettlebell if i can design a decent routine

16. Knight_Errant

Knight_Errant Banned Banned

Another +1 for Ross Enamait here. Not only is his stuff the absolute best, he's also a nice guy.

17. Bozza Bostik

Bozza Bostik Antichrist on Button Moon

Maybe not what you are looking for but there is a huge PDF from crossfit with a ton of BW WODs already made and ready to go....I used it a few years ago and lost a stack of weight in a pretty short time and got in pretty good shape. Obviously as it's crossfit a lot of the progression is based on time not reps / sets. IIRC the guy who compiled it was looking to enter the SEALS and didn't have access to weights.

Just type 'crossfit body weight PDF' in google.

18. Knight_Errant

Knight_Errant Banned Banned

Oh hells yes. I've got that PDF and it rocks.
    Just remember to get a good mix of stuff. Usually on crossfit, they do 1 big lift, 1 metcon and then something different. So incorporate a day of pure strength work (handstand pushups, single leg squats, pullups, whatever), along with some milder stuff like cindy (AMRAP in 20 mins 5 pullups, 10 pushups, 15 squats)

19. icefield

icefield Valued Member

depends on how toy measure effectiveness? max strength, body composition, endurance? But generally for building strength not really, its also easy to manage progression with weights

all depends on what your goals are

20. Adwerd

Adwerd New Member

Hi guys, I think that it is not the right place to ask something but can you tell me that what kind of training i should do for my back bone. Once upon a time i have an accident and in that my back bone hurt badly. Now if i do weight lifting its start pain. Any idea or tip???? Please post here.