Bodyweight Training Books

Discussion in 'Health and Fitness' started by madknight, Jan 19, 2009.

1. madknight

madknight Valued Member

I was wondering what are some of the better bodyweight training books out there?

I've heard that Ross Enamait has some good stuff. I looked around and only saw one book Never Gymless so how is this book and does he have any others? If so, how do they rank up with each other and against other bodyweight training writers?

I've heard that Pavel wasn't bad either and have started reading his book The Naked Warrior. So how does this book (or any other books Pavel wrote to do with bodyweight training) stack up to books written by Ross or any other good bodyweight training writers you know of?

2. furn

furn Valued Member

Ross enamait book's really complete on bodyweight exercice. Never Gymless focus really on bodyweight exercice, but Infinite Intensity and Full Throtle conditionning also talk about this. But in my opinion, if it's only bodyweight exercice you look for, Never Gymless is enough.

I don't really others authors, I hear a lot on Matt Furey, but I can't comment on him, never read about him. Same thing for Pavel

3. Cowardly Clyde

Cowardly Clyde Valued Member

I've ordered all 3 books from Ross Enamait, can't comment on them as they havent actually turned up yet! hmmm probably time to send him an email!

4. SteffenBerg

SteffenBerg Valued Member

5. Frodocious

Frodocious She who MUST be obeyed! Moderator Supporter

Ross Enamait's stuff is great. Never Gymless is the bodyweight book and Full Throttle can be used for bodyweight only stuff - both of them make use of equipment such as sand bags though. Infinite Intensity uses weights.

Coach Sommer's book 'Building the Gymnastic Body' (http://gymnasticbodies.com/) is an excellent book for bodyweight strength training, but to use it, at the very least, you need a set of gymnastic rings.

I've never read any of Matt Furey's stuff, but from what I heard I wouldn't bother with his books. Pavel does some good stuff.

I like Scapper's routines too.

6. madknight

madknight Valued Member

Thanks for the links. I looked at his stuff and I don't think I'd buy any of his products but I like the workouts and stuff that he posts on his site. It'll be a good resource to have :)

7. madknight

madknight Valued Member

Whoops, forgot about the multi-quote :p

I don't have access to any gymnastics rings so I probably wont bother with Coach Sommer's book, but it will be something to keep in mind in the future. Thanks for the suggestion. I had heard of this book before and was interested in what people thought about it.

Hmm is this normal for them? Do they take long to get stuff to you?

I've been thinking of looking into Infinite Intensity too as I've heard it's a great book to go along with Never Gymless. I don't think I'll get it right away but I can see it being a purchase I make in the future.

8. Frodocious

Frodocious She who MUST be obeyed! Moderator Supporter

Every time I've ordered things from Ross they've arrived within a week. His service is great and he always answers emails you send him if you have questions about the stuff he covers in his books.

9. madknight

madknight Valued Member

K, it seems the other members case is just an odd thing that happened. Thanks, it's nice to know he's a reliable person to do business with and that he is even willing to help you out with questions.

10. TheAngle

TheAngle Valued Member

11. Cowardly Clyde

Cowardly Clyde Valued Member

Yeah I'd say Ross Enamait is super reliable from what I've read across the breadth of the internet .

I think it's just a freak thing with my stuff, anyway I'm not sweating it, it'll turn up sooner or later.

12. madknight

madknight Valued Member

Looks pretty good, thanks.

Yeah

13. madknight

madknight Valued Member

So what are you guys opinion on these two books I've been told about?

1) Beyond Bodybuilding by Pavel Tsatsouline
    and
    2) Body Weight Exercises for Extraordinary Strength by Brad Johnson

14. voidbiov

voidbiov Valued Member

When it comes to things like Hindu squats, handstand push ups, i recommend getting matt fureys books (Combat conditioning and the secrets to handstand training). Both books i have used and i currently only own the handstand manual. I gave the combat conditioning book to someone else, and yeah, never saw it again.

Other people i would recommend learning from are scooby1961 for youtube. He has a ton of good information regarding training in general. He talks alot about weights, but at the same time, you can take his principles and apply them to any exercise group.

15. dormindo

dormindo Active Member Supporter

1. Never had that Pavel book. I have had Naked Warrior, and though a good book, I like never Gymless so much more. Ross had so much more material and much more variety, not to mention integrated circuit training in addition to bodyweight exercises.

2. Never had that book.

paz,

dormindo