Bo Staff Demo - song suggestions / advice

Discussion in 'Kuk Sool' started by KSN_Princess, Oct 12, 2012.

1. KSN_Princess

KSN_Princess Kuk Sool Won Princess

Hi Everyone,
    we are having a wedding recap reception for my husbands dads side of his fam cause of something that happened before the wedding anyways im not going to get into it that much but say that. But i came up with the idea of doing a bo staff demo and it would be a surprise for my hubby. Little background on him he use to be in martial arts in his early days and still likes martial arts. so i need some good techno songs that can range from 1 min - almost 2 mins. thanks. Also do u think its ok to practice at a park or do u think that would look totally wired? right now im forced to take a break from Kuk Sool but thats not going to last long since i got a job now.
    what to ya'll think?
    Thanks
    Mz Lu

2. Grass hopper

Grass hopper Valued Member

As for practicing in the park, go for it! Parks are there for everyone to use, even if they look "odd". My dojo does a beach class every year, we get a lot of suprised onlookers, some pics, but never people annoyed with us.

Are you set on the music thing? Maybe consider a demonstration of Bo kumite, maybe some bi on nunchaku kumite, that would be sweet.

3. Bruce W Sims

Bruce W Sims Banned Banned

OK.... I know what yer asking....but just think about what you are doing and you will probably understand what I am talking about.

a.) First off, a BO------er----thats a JANG BONG for you folks that practice a Korean art------ is a visual event. Ergo I would be far more concerned with enhancing the Visual impact instead of distracting or enhancing by adding sound.

b.) If you absolutely, positively HAVE TO HAVE sound, I suggest either traditional Korean music, or perhaps simple drumming as in the case of Japanese TAIKO drums.

c.) Visual effect might include dimming the lights and having a strip of reflector tape along the length of the staff. Alternately you might want to have it only on the ends but of two different colors. You could use a strobe----sorta corny--- or maybe just a Black Light. If you use a Black Light you can also use short (3-5 inches) streamers on either end to enhance the movements including spins and thrusts.

d.) The other thing that comes to mind is the setting. A sunrise event, or one done outside in the moonlight, or by fire-light might be worth considering.

Then again, you can always just do some pop-corn and sit around the TV while you stream YOU TUBE videos. FWIW.

Best Wishes,

Bruce

4. KSN_Princess

as for the music Grass hopper i want something unique and different but techno tho. im not that great with the nunchakus plus its only me doing the demo.

5. Grass hopper

Grass hopper Valued Member

Ah, I see what your talking about now. How about some European house music, YouTube it :) might fit your need.

6. KSN_Princess

ok thanks Grass hopper and im open to other suggestions too

7. KSN_Princess

man im having a really hard time trying to find 1-2min techno music for my demo

8. KSN_Princess

man its hard i can't hardly find any songs and when i do its not even good enough omg what other search should i try?

9. 47MartialMan

47MartialMan Valued Member

10. Bruce W Sims

Based on what I have picked-up from other threads, don't you have certain rules about what you can and can't do? For instance, doesn't the execution of KUK SOOL material have to be within the precincts of a particular school and durin g the hours of operation for that particular teacher? Seems like performing KUK SOOL material would fall under the aegis of disclosing your material to a non-KUK SOOL member, right?

Afterwards you'd have to take yer husband out and shoot him, right? :)

Best Wishes,

Bruce

11. VegasMichelle

VegasMichelle Valued Member

And if per chance the dog was watching, you gotta shoot the dog too.

12. Bruce W Sims

Damn, V-M.....you gotta sense of humor!!!! I love it!!!

Best Wishes,

Bruce