BJJ and bodyweight training

Discussion in 'Health and Fitness' started by Mr_Roo, Oct 16, 2012.

1. Mr_Roo

Mr_Roo New Member

I am new to BJJ and after a few classes I can tell I need to gain some strength.

First off, my situation. I am taking classes 4x a week, have a full time job, and family.

1- When I exercise should I just do each exercise to failure or take short rest breaks to reach a specific number of reps?

2- Should I space my exercises far enough from my BJJ classes that I don't have to worry about one affecting the other?

3- Will any beginner exercise work or should I look for a "grappling" program?

4- Any advice I should have?

2. Dead_pool

Dead_pool Spes mea in nihil Deus MAP 2017 Moi Award

If your new to BJJ its not strength you need but more technique.
    However gymanastics natural, and or flowfit on youtube have some great ideas for bodyweight exercises that directly relate to bjj.

3. Mangosteen

Mangosteen Hold strong not

jason scully iis a good one to youtube.

he does videos like "33 drills in 7 minutes"

4. Omicron

Omicron is around.

It may well be that your strength is lacking, but it could also be that you lack technique and are compensating by using too much strength, thereby tiring more quickly. If you have a spare hour each day for exercise, consider spending it with additional BJJ, especially as a white belt. You'll develop the technique you need and build sport-specific stength.

5. Mr_Roo

Mr_Roo New Member

After a little more work I also realize that it is the more knowledgeable students using sneaky tricks to frustrate my attempts to do the techniques.

6. Omicron

Omicron is around.

Yeah. When sparring with new students I often don't even try to hunt for a submission. Rather, I just use positioning and body weight to control them and shut down their game, usually causing them to freak out and needlessly burn energy. Once they're good and tired, I go in for the kill.

That's why it's called the gentle art. Why should I fight their energy with my own, when I can let them do the work for me?

7. Legattacks

Legattacks New Member

I do not know if you are doing this already but it really helps me whenever I roll with someone more advanced. Ask them what they are doing to trick you and what would be the best way to defend? This way you actually get something out of the roll!!!:)

8. mattt

mattt Valued Member

The art of rolling itself is this conversation without words.

9. Legattacks

Legattacks New Member

True... but he may not understand the language!!!!

10. SoKKlab

SoKKlab The Cwtch of Death!

Use Hand Signals and Morse Code...