Bicep workout

Discussion in 'Health and Fitness' started by Boxer123, Jul 3, 2013.

1. seiken steve

seiken steve golden member

"I'm tryna get nineteeeenszz man"

May want to get 17 first chris.

I would never get bored of beating that guy with a broomstick.

2. Rand86

Rand86 likes to butt heads

Say whaaaa...? :confused:

3. Princess Haru

Princess Haru Valued Member

eh? you don't like Chris then? the whole US BB youtuber thing is a bit incestuous, first watched Ogus for a while then Jones. I take neither too seriously, both have high levels of douchery but just enjoy Chris's blogs more. Better upgrade if you want to get laid lol

4. seiken steve

Some his training is pretty good and informative, ie using CGBP and dips for tris weather than ruining his elbows with skulls etc, but every time he talks I find myself hoping a Komodo dragon will eat his leg.

5. Princess Haru

Princess Haru Valued Member

WHAT'S GOOD YOUTUBE.... YOU KNOW WHO IT IS :p

6. Kuma

Kuma Lurking about

To get things back on topic:

Several years back when I first began serious grip training, I was ending every workout with 1-2 grip exercises. Block weight tossing, heavy grippers, plate pinching, hub pinching, and farmers walks were my main exercises. After 2-3 months of this kind of training, I added a quarter inch to my upper arms without doing a single curl. So do your gripwork if you want bigger arms.

7. Mitchell35

Mitchell35 New Member

Have I come to the right forum I thought for a moment I was at bodybuilding.com with a thread titled Bicep Workout. I wouldn't have thought many martial art practitioners would spend their time doing bicep curls when they could be squatting, deadlifting and benching!

The only bicep exercises I do are chin ups and pull ups.

I doubt big biceps are going to help defend yourself in a fight or a tournament if you squat like a sissy :)

8. 19thlohan

19thlohan Beast and the Broadsword

Biceps and other pulling muscles are used a lot in grappling techniques, squats only help you train a fireman's carry but you have to PULL the guy over your shoulders first!;)

9. Mitchell35

Mitchell35 New Member

What you are saying is I should add a bicep day in my training week to get that pump going:)

Just joking but I would have thought that doing a simple routine such as SS or Wendler 5/3/1 (I do the second) which are both mainly compound lifting would be more than enough for biceps, grapplers and also like me wannabe boxers.

As you said pulling exercises deadlifts, pull ups/chin ups and db rows ie compound.

Personally I would prefer to be able to squat 160Kg than bicep curl 30Kg in the squat rack. More bang for my buck I think the saying is:)

Also I doubt most of the top grapplers do isolation work for the biceps to be honest.

Last edited: Aug 23, 2013
  10. seiken steve

I can still remember the DOMS in my biceps for a week after my first BJJ session so I'd guess it does have merit, additionally the bicep helps create stability of the elbow joint in things like benching and OHP.

@Kuma, sorry for the derail! I've heard you mention this before and it's very interesting, certainly something that grabs my attention as I want a stronger grip and hate doing curls. If anything I generally do a few sets of reverse curls, usually on a fat bar then some hammer/pinwheel curls if I'm going to train GUNZZ, which is rare because I tend not to enjoy it. Would you mind outlining a little of what you done? I'm seeing great gains from doing neck work after each session so I guess I could go full kubic style and do grip and neck.

Trying to make a living purely from PT these days and get out of cheffing, due to the unfortunate nature of the world my lack of GUNZZ probably loses me a few clients...

11. matveimediaarts

matveimediaarts Underappreciated genius

They're all good exercises for martial artists to do^^. It's not for everyone, but I like to supplement my routine with stuff more applicable to MA like sledgehammer swings (against a tire or something) and throwing big, heavy objects around. :D No exercise routine is a substitute for going to class and practicing though! :cool:

12. Wildlings

Wildlings Baguette Jouster

Matvei, I've just pictured you trying to smash the washing machine with a hammer and kicking it in anger. Possibly while shouting. :D

13. seiken steve

There was a power lifter who did something very similar to that on video recently between sets of deads.

14. Kuma

Kuma Lurking about

I'd have to check my old journal to be sure but I remember doing roughly two grip intense exercises at the end of each workout. We did grippers twice a week (once high reps with the COC #1, the other cheat closes and then later singles with the #2), one day doing plate pinch holds after (using thumb and last two fingers), the other day hub pinching (you need good plates for those though). The other day was farmers walks for several sets (one of the main lifts of that day) then do some block weight tossing with a hex head. Driving home, I would put a few thick rubber bands over the ends of my fingers and train the extensors coming home. We played around with some other stuff like the Rolling Thunder or finger pull-ups but those were our main ones.

15. matveimediaarts

matveimediaarts Underappreciated genius

LOL! :D Sounds fun. :) I do need to work on my kiyai. :cool: I keep an eye out if someone leaves a washer in the alley. :D

16. Kuma

Kuma Lurking about

As far as biceps for pulling power, I noticed once I added in heavy curls to my lifting a lot of the more awkward stuff I picked up was a lot easier to both pick up and hold tight.

17. SoKKlab

SoKKlab The Cwtch of Death!

Yes Hefty Grip work (Crush Gripping, Plate Wafting, Pinch Gripping etc) will work all of you really hard. I feel it in my hams etc when I crush grip something hefty.

Secondly yes efficient punching in boxing and 'kickboxing' type systems can be retarded by your upper arms being too big.

Generally your shoulders should be bigger than your upper arms for best 'most efficient' ellipitical shoulder roll and crisp 'thwack'.

My 'problem' is the other way. I spend a lot of time trying to stop my upper arms from blowing up like airships.

For most folks just doing rows and pull ups will be enough to work the biceps hard. Strengthen them...And put on some size (if you want that ad depending on your rep/ set range).

For some though, no. And they'll need to do specific 'arm' stuff.

Even when I was doing more 'bodybuilding' style training and rep ranges I didn't do much specific arm work. Mostly a few sets of curl type motions. And a few tricep presses (close grip bench press, skull crushers, tricep pressdowns with differing grips and widths).

Close grip chin ups will swell your arms right up. And with any 'biceps' exercise you can get double bang for your buck by doing the following:

A) Resist the Neg on any Curl (double your rep)

B) Squeeze your Triceps really hard when doing curls (on the pos and the neg)

I always like 'swiss army knife' type lifts. Those that get multiple effect at the same time.

And so you might like to try:

A) Curl and Press (Strict) - Curl the bar to face height and then press it straight up in a curl grip fashion.

And B) Curl Grip Power Cleans (sometimes known as Scoop Cleans) from the deck. Be careful you don't smash your teeth in at the top of the movement though - And start really light with these. So as not to wrench your biceps

Good Luck

Last edited: Aug 24, 2013