Bicep workout

Discussion in 'Health and Fitness' started by Boxer123, Jul 3, 2013.

1. Boxer123

Boxer123 New Member

Looking for a new bicep workout...
    Any ideas of a nice intense workout guys?

2. Nojon

Nojon Tha mo bhàta-foluaimein

weighted chin ups? done them before? Ouch. :)

3. Kuma

Kuma Lurking about

12oz curls in high quantities.

4. matveimediaarts

matveimediaarts Underappreciated genius

Just take the standard bicep exercises (curls, etc), and run the rack. (that is, start at your max weight and do each set progressively lighter) @Nojon-chinups work the back, shoulders, and lats, not biceps.

Weighted pushups help too. I just load up a pack and wear it while doing pushups myself.

Also, try holding dumbells out (your arms at a 45 degree angle with the weights directly in front of you) while walking or running.

I like to do variants on overhead press, btw. My favorite is to do a lunge and hold that position while pressing.

5. Kuma

Kuma Lurking about

I like how you tell Nojon that chin-ups don't work the biceps, then proceed to share a bunch of shoulder and triceps exercises right after.

You don't think the biceps would be used at all in a chin-up when one of the main uses of your biceps is to bend the elbow?

[​IMG]

6. Nojon

Nojon Tha mo bhàta-foluaimein

Without getting too much into it, youre wrong.

Last edited: Jul 3, 2013
  7. matveimediaarts

The exercises I listed work biceps as well. Only concentration curls target just biceps AFAIK. There is some bicep work in a pullup, but it's not a bicep exercise. You could use your biceps (and you naturally do to an extent), but it's best done when emphasizing the lats and back. You'd also get tired out after a few reps pulling with just biceps.

8. matveimediaarts

9. mattt

mattt Valued Member

Incorrect kuma, these work the calfs and quads.

Well, they do when I do them since I just hold the bar and jump up and down.

10. matveimediaarts

Pull-ups are usually regarded as an exercise for the back and are lauded for their effectiveness by people who can actually do them. The muscles of the middle back are in fact the primary movers in this well-known body-weight exercise. However, many more muscles play important roles in pull-ups, even if you "cheat" by doing assisted pull-ups with a machine that allows you to lift only a portion of your body weight.
    Latissimus Dorsi
    The latissimus dorsi muscle is the prime mover for a pull-up. The terms prime mover and agonist refer to the main muscle or muscles worked during a particular exercise. The latissimus dorsi, or lats, is the muscle group of the middle back. The lats extend and adduct the shoulder, according to "A Guide to Personal Fitness Training" by Mary Yoke, M.A. You may have seen this muscle on someone not wearing a shirt that contributes to a nice-looking "V" shape in the back. Shoulder adduction refers to moving your shoulder closer to the midline of your body. During a pull-up, this is accomplished when the upper arm is brought toward the side of the body as you pull your body upward. Shoulder extension in the case of a pull-up is what happens when the shoulders and arms are pulled back as you finish the exercise

WHAT MUSCLES DO PULL UPS WORK OUT?
    Assistor Muscles
    The assistor muscles help the lats in some way during a pull-up. The assistor muscles worked during pull-ups include the muscles of the forearms, upper back, shoulders and chest. Specifically, the muscles worked are the brachialis, brachioradialis, teres major, rear deltoid, rhomboids, levator scapulae, trapezius and the pectoralis major and minor. They provide stability by contracting as your body moves up and down during a pull-up.
    Upper Arm Muscles
    Both the bicep and triceps muscles of the upper arm are used to do a pull-up, though neither is going to be targeted like a prime mover. Biceps is short for biceps brachii, which refers to both the long and short bundles of the bicep muscles in the front of the upper arm. This is fitting since bi means two. The triceps, or tri for three, on the back of the arm are made up of three bundles, although only the long head bundle of the triceps is used in a pull-up. The stabilizers support the lats by activating when the lats do, even though they are not responsible for the movement of the shoulder joint. Although these muscles are worked during a pull-up, do not expect to see vast improvements in muscle tone as you would for the lats.

Read more: http://www.livestrong.com/article/96668-muscles-pull-ups-work-out/#ixzz2Y1Nt0QCU

11. matveimediaarts

btw, OP: When I do curls, I pull up fast and do the negative slow. It works for me in getting more out of the exercise, and may work for you as well

12. Kuma

Kuma Lurking about

Holding two dumbbells straight out in front of you as you walk is far from an ideal exercise for the biceps.

The easiest way to make a muscle grow is to put the most weight on it you can. That's why compound movements are the best, right? Heavy rows and weighted chin-ups are great for smaller muscles like the biceps in this regard as you can use a heck of a lot more for them than you can for curls. Doing overhead presses, push-ups, and front raise holds aren't going to do much at all for your biceps - heavy rows and weighted chin-ups will.

13. Kuma

Kuma Lurking about

14. matveimediaarts

True. I was multi-tasking and shouldn't have written that part. Disregard it.

Yes, that's why I like them.

I just listed the muscles pullups work. They are not "great" for biceps, though they do work the biceps a bit. In fact, in the quoted snippet above^, you got the muscle groups entirely backwards.

I get a sense of snark and hostility from you in this thread. It's really not necessary. It's just an exercise discussion and exchange of opinion.

15. Kuma

Kuma Lurking about

Where did I mention muscle groups backwards? Because it's not in what you quoted.

You sense correctly. I have a low tolerance for ignorance that refuses to recognize it.

16. matveimediaarts

Your link lists chin ups as both bicep and lat exercises. This is what I've been saying. :) I only see 3 bicep exercises there, so I wouldn't consider this a definitive list at all.

Your link is definitely not a good authority to appeal to if you're really trying to "counter" me.

17. Kuma

Kuma Lurking about

Did you make it to the bottom? He tests barbell curls, reverse curls, hammer curls, EZ-bar curls, preacher curls, concentration curls, and incline curls.

But your link is a good appeal to authority? For a guy that called his triceps his "posterior biceps" in his training log this is quite a stretch.

18. Fish Of Doom

Fish Of Doom Will : Mind : Motion Supporter

matveid, in your own workout log you've mentioned working "anterior and posterior biceps". kuma on the other hand has been lifting and learning about lifting probably since you were in diapers. it MIGHT be a good idea to listen to him, given that you seem to not know as much about anatomy and its relationship to exercise as you think you do.

the biceps is one of three elbow flexors (biceps brachii, brachioradialis, brachialis), all of which are activated with elbow flexion, although some to a greater degree than others depending on the position in which you flex the elbow. ANYTHING involving elbow flexion under load will work the biceps. anything not involving elbow flexion under load will not, unless they're actually weak (like mine T_T) and they get worked via stabilization (which is what happens in pressing exercises, and means your biceps are weak and you should actually make them stronger directly)

19. matveimediaarts

I would say so. Everyone and his brother has an opinion on the subject, but the link I posted is accurate to the best of my knowledge.

20. matveimediaarts

Note I supported what I wrote with a source. It's not just my opinion. If you read what I wrote a few posts above, this is just a friendly exchange for me. I'm not out to disprove kuma's opinion. There are likely plenty of experts in various fields who disagree with both of us. The bolded above I particularly agree with. You're saying what I was saying in a different way.

Citing an error in my blog isn't an impressive way to discredit my opinion, sir. Even the greatest writers and editorialists occasionally have to retract errors.

Good day to you. :)