bicep curls rep number

Discussion in 'Health and Fitness' started by enquea, Jul 23, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. GhostOfYourMind

GhostOfYourMind Bewaters lil Iron Monkey

Oh brother. I never said not to do isolation in the first place. If their arms are lagging, there's a possibility they're not capillary dense. In that case, sure, go do some high rep bicep curls. There's a time and place for everything, isolations included. The majority of mass is built with compound movements, you can't deny that. Look at powerlifters. My suggestion was merely a SUGGESTION to your IMAGINARY person.

2. fixationdarknes

fixationdarknes Valued Member

I had been doing only compounds then I decided to throw in some isolation instead of doing purely compounds. My gains came slow this way. There were some gains, but not much. Then I went back to purely compounds and started blasting the gains again.

And you just changed your statement from "It was kind of a rhetorical question, to prove a point, that when training for the perfect body, isolations are essential" to "Like said it doesnt work for everyone, but I think it's safe to say it works for most when done properly."

^ Those two statements contradict each other. Which one do you still hold to?

3. Prophet

Prophet ♥ H&F ♥

Ohhhh Nforce got:

[​IMG]

4. GhostOfYourMind

In more than one way.... (note, refer to "hehe") :D Mmmmk, I'm done with my shananigans (sp?). I think I'm gonna start a more useful thread....hmmm....what can it be about?:D

5. fixationdarknes

6. GhostOfYourMind

Least someone has a sense of humor...:D

7. fixationdarknes

Are you REALLY BeWater's lil Iron Monkey? ;)

8. GhostOfYourMind

K, so I'm 5'8", ya got me....geez...:p

9. blessed_samurai

blessed_samurai Valued Member

You mean I had to read through another 5 pages just to hear you guys argue about each other being right-compounds first and a majority of training and isolation for any lagging bodyparts or indescrepencies missed by compound movements.

And I didn't even get flamed by McG for mentioning superpump and burn technique :D. I will throw this out there, since re-adding a bit of isolation movements for my biceps, I have noticed that my resistance to arm bars as far as my opponent locking out my elbow has greatly decreased. So, in this case, even though the bicep curls are isolation movements they have (I tend to hit hammers and reverse curls) actually become a product of functional training. ;)

10. GhostOfYourMind

Yes.:)

11. NaughtyKnight

NaughtyKnight Has yellow fever!

I've got better things to do than look for a study on the internet.

Go buy Beyond Brawn www.hardgainer.com.

That will set you straight.

12. Maverick

Maverick New Member

Well, no it won't mate lol, because I will probably agree with most of the content of it. And I don't think Beyond Brawn will contain a study that shows how it is necessary to train the whole body to put inches on the arms.

Just remind me, what exactly are you disagreeing with me about? Because it's like you're replying to a completely different person.

13. nForce

nForce Banned Banned

Actually they don't when i said my first statement I previously said before it "but when we talk about anything we have to work with majorities", hence there will always be exceptions but we have to talk about the majority of people.

14. Colucci

Colucci My buddies call me Chris.

Yes, he is. Don't mess with him, or a medicine ball may "accidentally" find it's way in your direction when you least expect it. :p

I'll pretend that this question didn't actually become the most replied to post in over a month, and I'll just ignore the first 110 replies, and throw in my pair of copper pennies (that would be, my 2 cents ;) )

The biggest change for a martial artist is to think in terms of movements, not bodyparts. Rather than having a "chest and arms" day, and a "leg day" or a "back and shoulder" day" consider switching to a pulling day and a pushing day, or, easier still...stick with full body workouts. This will help to ensure full recovery between sessions, as well as helping to develop more total body, "functional" strength. That said, with your age, I'd be happy seeing you concentrate on 4x6 for the big moves (sqaut, dead, bench, pull-up, military press, row) If you want to hit smaller moves (curls and whatnot) after that, I'd stick with 3x8 or 2x12. But, you need to know that a steady diet of compound moves works everything that needs working. That's the concrete foundation (as Samurai said), smaller moves are just the aluminum siding.

For gaining mass, increase your calories...bottom line. Peanut butter, meat (anything that used to be an animal), nuts, grains, dairy, fruits, veggies.
    In terms of rest between sets, don't stress over it. When you're ready to go, go. Also, I see in the routine you posted, you listed what look like tempo, don't bother. Lift weight fast, lower weight with control. If you can concentrate on counting your tempo, you aren't focusing enough on your technique.

Well then, I can't be bothered giving you advice. :rolleyes: Seriously, what gives?

And it's not going to. Start working on Farmer's Walks. That one exercise alone will get you father down the road to badass-town than 90% of the guys you go to school with. :cool:

15. ocianain

ocianain Valued Member

A classic fromt he days of yore:

In Praise of the Squat
    Jeff "Maddog" Madden, the ISSA-certified strength coach for the University of North Carolina, recounted this poem from the work of Dale Clark in the March 1983 issue of IronMan:

Down the road, in a gym far away
    A young man was heard to say,
    "No matter what I do, my legs won't grow!"
    He tried leg extensions, leg curls, leg presses too.
    Trying to cheat, these sissy workouts he'd do!
    From the corner of the gym where the big guys train,
    Through a cloud of chalk and the midst of pain,
    Where the big iron rides high, and threatens lives,
    Where the noise is made with big forty-fives,
    A deep voice bellowed as he wrapped his knees,
    A very big man with legs like trees,
    Laughing as he snatched another plate from the stack,
    Chalked his hands and monstrous back,
    Said, "Boy, stop lying and don't say you've forgotten!
    Trouble with you is you ain't been SQUATTIN'!"

16. harhar

harhar I hate semaphores

Day1: Everything day
    Day2: Everything day
    Day3: Everything day

17. nForce

nForce Banned Banned

Why mention functional strength and give him advice on what a MA should do, when he doesn't show no indication of wanting that? He wants to build mass, with no talk of strength i.e. hypertrophy, so why do you give him advice on how to build functional strength?

18. nForce

nForce Banned Banned

Seriously this guy wants to build mass, and lots of it, and your telling him to do full body work outs?

19. harhar

harhar I hate semaphores

Yup. No one in their right mind would isolate for any significant increase in size overall. Unless you're on some drugs.

20. nForce

nForce Banned Banned

I really can't be bothered to start arguing with you, everyone on this forum is the same, same old crap.

I just hope this kid gets to a decent forum

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.