Best Martial Art For A Street Situation.

Discussion in 'Health and Fitness' started by mkultra, Jul 13, 2010.

1. John R. Gambit

John R. Gambit The 'Rona Wrangler

Both. It goes something like Ninjutsu from my preteens with randori training, I tend to innately think on my feet, I am prone to acting and not freezing to process, I was born curious and ferociously stubborn, and I was conditioned to be comfortable with violence from a very young age. I am however far from the largest, fastest, or strongest person and not innately athletically gifted in any way.

2. Mitch

Mitch Lord Mitch of MAP Admin

In which case we're in agreement. :)

However, the situation, verbal engagement and possible de-escalation, pre-engagement adrenaline cues, nature of attacks and techniques used, duration of the encounter, numbers involved, the environment and the conditions required for "victory" might all differ from what many commonly think of as "sparring."

Mitch

3. a3xloser

a3xloser New Member

Bobby is right I feel, if you try to back down, you increase the chance you will have to fight, its all about timing, yes if you bump into someone say "sorry" but if he is not happy with this and wants to push it, you really can't show any weakness, you have to then go for the, "I have said sorry, if you want to make more of it, do it" this is the least worst option in this situation,

4. John R. Gambit

So your advice, on this long dead thread which the OP will probably never read, is that people should operate as one-trick ponies for deescalation by bluffing being a tough guy and never socially expressing humility, empathy, or face saving techniques to discourage aggression?

What is your specific (in years/months) training in martial arts? What are your credentials in human behavioral training? What is your work history dealing with violence?

:)

Last edited: Oct 7, 2013
  5. 47MartialMan

47MartialMan Valued Member

.....if there is no conflict,there is no victory or defeat

.....the art of fighting without fighting

.....To win one hundred victories in one hundred battles is not the highest skill. To subdue the enemy with out fighting is the highest skill.

6. John R. Gambit

Ah yes. Darmok and Jalad... at Tanagra. Mmm.

7. Hannibal

Hannibal Cry HAVOC and let slip the Dogs of War!!! Supporter

Based on what undoubtedly vast experience exactly?

If you pull a gun be prepared to shoot; if you call someone's hand be prepared for the fact they may hold a better hand than you

Apologetics and feigned capitulation are far better options as they do not trigger visceral adrenal responses. You can "psych" people, but only do this if on the next half beat you are ready to "go" - otherwise you are not just bluffing, you are holding no cards

8. a3xloser

a3xloser New Member

I am saying, your more likely to get in fight if you show weakness, that's fine if your some amazing little Bruce Lee that can win easily, but I like not to fight, so take option that I have found avoids fighting, people who start fights are mostly bully's, bully's don't like people who fight back,
    as you your other questions I fail to see the relevance but 3 years Karate,3 years boking, then more recently got into Wing chun,,just because Kung Fu was all the rage wen I was young, and never got to do it, your other one "human behavioral training" is this a real thing, or are you just putting random words in a row?. lastly I work as a Trucker, I been out my cab and in peoples faces for 30 years lol

9. Count Duckula

Count Duckula Valued Member

If you try to bluff being a tough guy, there is a good chance that you'll get your ass kicked. I cannot express clearly what it is, but there is a quiet confidence about people who can really kick ass, that is lacking in people trying to bluff.

I've been scared of people just standing still being quiet. I know a guy who made a stranger run away in a panic just by looking. But you cannot fake that aura without a rock solid self confidence that you can deal with anything and come out on top.

Human nature is still nature. If you challenge the alpha male, you will be in for a fight. If you acknowledge the alpha male and admit defeat, the alpha male can let you go without a fight, without losing face.

10. Simon

Simon Administrator Admin Supporter MAP 2017 Koyo Award

Then you have an aggression problem. :)

11. Dead_pool

Dead_pool Spes mea in nihil Deus MAP 2017 Moi Award

Randori is sparring.

12. Dead_pool

Indeed, I agree wholeheartedly!
    But once you start the physical seatbelt and airbag side of SD, being capable in a functional striking or grappling delivery system can only aide your ability, and for that you definitly need some sparring/randori experience.

13. Mitch

Depending on what you mean by sparring/randoori. And so we go round :)

Mitch

14. Dead_pool

Any drill involving timing motion and energy.

If were going to say sparring isnt needed for SD training, then you will also need to define sparring.

15. Dean Winchester

Dean Winchester Valued Member

Ah kata-geiko then.

:evil:

16. Mitch

I'm happy with that definition, but I don't think it's what most people think of when they picture sparring/randoori.

Mitch

17. Dead_pool

If its done with decision making, then its a great example of isolation sparring.

18. Dead_pool

Even regular sparring without the SD element involved will help in SD.

If you want ability in any area, sparring is a must. And for SD, you want ability in all areas, layered ontop of using the correct tactics for the circumstance (This is the SD specific element)

19. a3xloser

a3xloser New Member

no I just fight fire with fire, if I have aggression problem, how come its been 15 years since i put anyone in hospital?

20. Simon

Simon Administrator Admin Supporter MAP 2017 Koyo Award

Haha, please read your own post.