Best Martial Art For A Street Situation.

Discussion in 'Health and Fitness' started by mkultra, Jul 13, 2010.

1. LemonSloth

LemonSloth Laugh and grow fat!

Lol, I made the same mistake when I commented :)

2. rob0107

rob0107 Valued Member

Sarcasm is a little hard to portray over the internet....must work on that :rolleyes:

:D

3. LemonSloth

LemonSloth Laugh and grow fat!

'Tis the internet, there is no intent without emoticons! :)

4. 47MartialMan

47MartialMan Valued Member

Did you get your blueberry pancakes?

5. Bobby Gee

Bobby Gee Valued Member

I haven't read all the pages but I would recommend learning to actually fight. Boxing, Muay Thai, mma... Places where u get punched in the face and punch people in the face etc stay on your feet in a street fight so you can run.
    Being able to take a punch is the only thing that will help you in a blindside situation.
    Also doing the sport fighting arts will help u control your adrenalin and stop you from dropping your nuts so much.

Ps- staying home and studying will also help

6. Simon

Simon Administrator Admin Supporter MAP 2017 Koyo Award

I disagree.

Boxing and Muay Thai, while great, both have a rules and a referee. Neither art prepares you for the type of aggressor you may face, the pre-fight interview and methods of de-escalation.

Self defence is a separate subject to be taught away from regular martial arts classes, or at least treated as a separate syllabus within the schools that do teach it.

Sparring can help, but it's generally accepted that sparring isn't necessary when it comes to learning self defence.

7. Bobby Gee

Bobby Gee Valued Member

Ok. Maybe he could spend 95% learning how to fight and the other five percent learning how to deesculate a situation?
    Self defence classes I've seen advertised look terrible to me. Especially if u have to deal with a bad a** on the street.

8. Simon

I would argue it's better to spend 75% learning how to de-escalate the fight and 25% training in reality based scenarios.

The problem with fighting is it is a case of who is the best?

Let's say that an aggressor approaches me and it looks like a fight is going to happen. As soon as I engage him it becomes a case of "who is the best fighter"?
    Now as he's the thug and the street fighter it's probably going to be him, so straight away we can see that this may not be the most preferred option.

Simply by saying, "I'm sorry. my fault I didn't see you there", may be enough to avoid confrontation, even if you've done nothing wrong.

It sounds simple but if it isn't trained under pressure then it won't work in a real situation.

You need to understand when to yield (verbally), when to enter with a pre-emptive strike, how to empathise with an aggressor and so on.

Fighting arts don't teach these skills.

9. Bobby Gee

Bobby Gee Valued Member

Wussy " it's my fault sorry bla bla" when someone want to fight you is probebly less effective than bluffing the tough guy

10. Simon

Your attitude will see you in more fights than me, so who is using effective self defence?

If you believe you're a "wuss" for apologising when it's not your fault, then you better be able to fight.
    Not only that you better have a good handle of the law.

Bluff only works if you are confident in your abilities and if you've practiced it.

It's harder than you may think to take on the role of the aggressor. I've seen in in my own self defence lessons and in the reality based self defence lessons I've taken.

Too many people have the attitude that they'll "go up a couple of gears" if the situation calls for it. the truth however is that if you haven't trained through those gears they'll not be there when you need them.

To quote JWT and Archilocus, "we do not rise to the level of our expectations. We fall to the level of our training".

That training includes the ability do de=escalate the situation and well as deal with it physically should we need to do so.

Fighting is not effective self defence.

11. Aegis

Aegis River Guardian Admin Supporter

Bear in mind that if you bluff aggressively and things still kick off, if you need witnesses afterwards to defend yourself against assault charges, they will have heard you getting aggressive and (presumably) threatening the other guy. It won't matter that he started it if you deliberately escalated the situation rather than taking the opportunity to walk away. If he claims pre-emptive self defence because of your own comments, you could end up being the one in legal trouble because your pride didn't let you act in a way that would stop the fight altogether.

Knowing about the pre-fight and the aftermath is just as important as the physical skill if you're learning self defence.

12. John R. Gambit

John R. Gambit The 'Rona Wrangler

You obviously have no idea what you're talking about here. Not even a little bit. I'm not making a dig at you or attempting to make you defensive here, just hoping to encourage you to be more mindful of how qualified you are to provide future advice about a "self-defense" subject.

13. Dead_pool

Dead_pool Spes mea in nihil Deus MAP 2017 Moi Award

Really? Who by?

14. John R. Gambit

John R. Gambit The 'Rona Wrangler

I personally applied my training long before I sparred in anything close to the popular MA use of the word. Quite effectively. Several times.

15. Mitch

Mitch Lord Mitch of MAP Admin

Depends what you mean by sparring :)

Mitch

16. Hannibal

Hannibal Cry HAVOC and let slip the Dogs of War!!! Supporter

Beat me to it Mitch!

17. Dead_pool

Any freeform training using timing energy and motion.

18. Dead_pool

But was your success because of your training, or because of your inate ability?

Theres a reason the samurai played gekken and sumai.

19. Dean Winchester

Dean Winchester Valued Member

To get away from their wives?

20. Dead_pool

Bingo!