Best High Intentesity exercise

Discussion in 'Health and Fitness' started by zombiekicker, Jan 28, 2013.

1. zombiekicker

zombiekicker bagpuss

im thinking more bodyweight stuff, funds and equipment are limited, dumbells, 16kg kettlebell, and 28lb weighted rucksack, theres a big hill near me maybe i should walk fast up that wearing the rucksack,

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 28, 2013
  2. holyheadjch

holyheadjch Valued Member

If the hill is reasonably steep, ditch the rucksack and sprint up it, then walk down, rinse and repeat until you want to kill yourself

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 28, 2013
  3. zombiekicker

zombiekicker bagpuss

which gym? I like fat women, so really i should get rid of the fasted early morning steady state and do kicking squats and do some bag work instead?

4. Frodocious

Frodocious She who MUST be obeyed! Moderator Supporter

Zombiekicker, please watch you language, profanity (masked or otherwise) is against the ToS. :)

5. zombiekicker

zombiekicker bagpuss

apologies MODS i didnt know about masked profanities, sounds like some superhero baddies

6. icefield

icefield Valued Member

As always people jump to the extreme on these things, were did anyone say light cardio meant jogging for three hours a day?

Having trained with several elite athletes getting ready for UFC fights they make extensive use of light cardio for helping weight loss and for setting a base before more intensive work is carried out as as you said using it to recovery between hard sessions, so they make use of it throughout there training periods

As do elite level sports athletes from other sports, i am lucky enought to powerlift at a gym populated by colts for a premiership rugby club, they make use of aerboic work extensivly too

the study you sighted used a total of 28 people i think, other studies have shown different results, it usually a case of using both in your training, both have pros and cons especially when managing a training workload that includes other aspects of training

7. holyheadjch

We're not talking about building a base, which required extended periods of moderate effort, we're talking about fat loss and I am yet to see a study that shows moderate cardio having a greater or equal effect on fat loss than high intensity interval training. If you have one, post it up (it's a bit cheeky to demand sources from me and then to not post your own)

8. Princess Haru

Princess Haru Valued Member

^ are you not just arguing about 'intensity'? for a non elite athlete something like a 5km run at over 12kph isn't going to be a walk in the park for a lot of people, greater resistance or intensity/pace intervals can be added to lots of cardio machine exercises from rowing, treadmill runs or spin cycle.

i would log your food intake for a week, see the levels of carbs, protein and fats. i was amazed how much carbs i would take in a day, even things like pure orange juice.

just limiting calories to a really low level isn't the answer (though there are programs like the Cambridge diet which claim to work). some years ago i found this out the hard way, after getting to my lightest at 8.5 stone with lots of cardio and limiting calories to sub 1000 per day some friends said i looked really underweight and i only barely had visible abs. cutting the wrong way and not sustainable

9. adouglasmhor

adouglasmhor Not an Objectivist

What do you think sourdough is made from?

10. zombiekicker

zombiekicker bagpuss

Im not sure what i did i meant to thank you and it disappeared

11. zombiekicker

zombiekicker bagpuss

no it didnt

12. zombiekicker

zombiekicker bagpuss

i may have registered a while ago but am new to posting etc bear with me

13. holyheadjch

High Intensity exercise is normally considered to be exercise that takes you beyond your aerobic threshold. If you can perform an exercise for more than a couple of minutes - you're not working above your aerobic threshold

14. Kuniku

Kuniku The Hairy Jujutsuka

HIIT is the way forward, does the job better and in a shorter time :running:

15. Ero-Sennin

Ero-Sennin Well-Known Member Supporter

You know, you could just save all the money you would use on a good diet, gym fees, supplements, and time and just go get Liposuction. Everybody always thinks you have to do things the hard way, sweating and breathing hard and getting all hot and tired. :cool:

16. El Medico

El Medico Valued Member

Yeah, I used to think that too.

After I attained enlightenment I just told her "No more push-ups tonight,dear."

17. Frodocious

Frodocious She who MUST be obeyed! Moderator Supporter

Get yourself a skipping rope and learn to use it. Also high intensity work doesn't need to involve dashing round at warp 9. It's all about getting your heart rate up. I find loaded carries work really well to get my heart rate going and are less impact heavy on the joints than sprints. Do make sure you pay attention to form though!

http://www.t-nation.com/free_online_article/most_recent/the_secret_of_loaded_carries

http://www.t-nation.com/free_online_article/most_recent/boy_you_gotta_carry_that_weight

http://www.t-nation.com/testosterone-magazine-630

18. Killa_Gorillas

Killa_Gorillas Banned Banned

19. icefield

icefield Valued Member

Yes we were talking about fat loss, until you mentioned athletes only use low intensity work for recovery and to supplement high intensity work, i simply pointed out that this was incorrect and that they also use it for building a base and for helping to make weight

actually you said low intensity was for losers and a waste of time, then posted a study which showed whilst it had an positive impact on energy expenditure it wasn't as great as that of HITT in certain respects, which isnt exactly the same thing im still waiting for you to post a study showing aerobic training is useless for weight loss

And without knowing the precise programmes followed by each group its hard to really take much from that study. Did both programmes last the same amount of time per session and have the same number of sessions a week?
    Did they do any other training?

The positive thing about using aerobics for weight loss is that it can be done daily without effecting your other training requirements, and can be done year round, useful for people doing other high energy activities like MMA , judo or other sports where intervals have to be planned in carefully to avoid a negative impact on the CNS and other training needs. A fighter getting ready for a competition who is already training daily in skill sessions will find it hard to programme in intervals at the rate needed to aid weight loss, for them using aerobic methods alongside intervals not only aids recovery and with fat loss, but also doesnt impact on the rest of their training

Also Your conclusion is similar to someone who sees a strength study showing working in the 3 rep range has a more positive impact on building 1 rep max strength than working in the 10 rep range, and then concluding that working in the ten rep range is useless for building max strength and for losers, just because something is shown to be not as efficent under certain conditions doesnt mean its useless, it depends on other factors as to if its the best way to train, such as other training requirements, where you are on your training programme and how advanced you are as a trainee.

20. zombiekicker

zombiekicker bagpuss

well yesterday afternoon i did 30 minutes fast jog on rebounder, which upped my heart rate( and i was sweating) then 2 minutes squats with the ruck sack on then straight into mid weight dumbell shoulder workout, in between sets i hit the bag , felt like id done a bit, i will check out those sources, i suppose i goota put the work in is the simple answer, and eat a bit more (decent food)