Belts.

Discussion in 'Health and Fitness' started by Jamo2, Aug 13, 2007.

1. Jamo2

Jamo2 The Louie Vitton Don

Yay.....or Nay?

My training partner wears a belt for pretty much ever fricking exercise, and then insists i should wear one. We argue over it by the squat rack, then we argue some more on the bench.
    Hes under the impression it stops injuries, im under the impression that your back is also a muscle so surely if its strong enough it can fend for itself, aslong as your forms ok.

Deadlifts for example, made to strengthen back up....why hinder it with a belt?

Anybody else see my point.

2. tom pain

tom pain I want Chewbacc for good

I think the purpose of a belt is to help your form by helping keep your back straight, or make you more aware of the position of your back. Belts only really need to be worn while squatting and deadlifting as far as I know as they are the two exercises where your back is under pressure.

Peronally I don't wear them. I exercise good form and have never really needed one.

3. Incredible Bulk

Incredible Bulk Eat-Lift-Eat-Sleep-Grow

i have deadlifted without a belt on 170kg, i have squatted without one with 140kg on the back.

Its down to form to save your back from injury.

Lol @ him wearing one for every exercise, i see a few wearing belts whilst benching :D

Prats :D

4. blessed_samurai

blessed_samurai Valued Member

I used to wear one when going for a 1RM attempt in the back squat to increase intra-thoracic pressure and give me a bit of boost. Maybe a belt on deadlift when at the 1-2RM area if unsure.

Other than that, it does nil to protect you on movements where you're lying on your back. Where in the world did he get his info from?

5. Jamo2

Jamo2 The Louie Vitton Don

He squats to parrallel too. ;)