Beginning with Flexibility

Discussion in 'Health and Fitness' started by Daikido, Oct 31, 2013.

1. Daikido

Daikido New Member

I am in the middle of walking across america at the moment and at the 200 day mark in my trip. In the early days of my trip I met a man at a Jinenkan dojo named Adam Mitchell. He helped me greatly in deciding what essentials I did and didn't need as well as deciding where the next leg of my trip should take me. I had the opportunity to watch a part of his class and stay in his dojo that night. I had done boxing and wrestling throughout my high school career, but I found Adam to be very enlightening and he inspired me to step into other martial arts.

So i figure that gaining my flexibility is a good first start as walking 20 miles a day has made my muscles extremely unflexible. I have read the stickies and many of Van Zandt's threads but am still stuck on a few things, specifically isometrics. I just have a few questions i'd be thankful if someone could assist me with.

I am confused as to what muscles i should be isometrically stretching. should I isometrically stretch all the muscles i do when relaxed stretching?

Where can i find examples of isometric stretches? Do i have to already be in the stretch when I do the muscle contraction or can i contract and then go into the stretch?

for side splits what is the form i should have? Are my legs being spread against a wall and then i contract my abductors? For regular splits how exactly do i perform the isometrically?

I spend most of my day walking and dont have much time for a workout. Are there any strength excersises you would recommend to me? I saw the videos of hindu pushups and hindu squats, maybe anything simple i can consistently do like that that engages lots of muscle groups

Sorry if a lot of my questions are ignorant, I tried to do research but came up emptyhanded. Thanks for taking the time to read.

2. robstr

robstr New Member

Hey ,

i think there are some ways of doing isometric stretches also called PNF.
    Ie. for the Sidesplit:

go into the side-split stretch and wait a few seconds, then build up tension (press you’re legs to the middle) and hold for 8-10 seconds very strong tension. then you release the tension and go deeper in the stretch.
    Then you wait a few seconds and tense again and go deeper , then tense and go deeper,

.. normally i do 3 tension parts and in the deepest position i tries to relax for 30seconds and then tense as hard as i can for about 30seconds. Then leave the position and after a small break ( 2-3 minutes or if you feel you are ready for it) repeat the cycle 3-5 times.

You can do http://www.flipyeahparkour.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/03/side_split.jpg

http://www.fightingarts.com/content00/graphics/lunge2.jpg

http://www.stretching-exercises-guide.com/images/hamstring_7.jpg

Van Zandt's and Mr. Kurz say: Strength is the key for flexibility
    They Recommend deadlifts, squats, abductor flys..

You should perform isometric stretches 2-3 times a week and the best time is after you’re weight training.

Hopefully i could help you with all the stuff i found on the internet :p