Back poppin'

Discussion in 'Injuries and Prevention' started by Moi, Mar 26, 2011.

1. Moi

Moi Warriors live forever x

Ok so by now you all know I'm stupid. So Friday night I'd just finished training so I thought (I really shouldn't do this), let see how much I can press on the machine. So I started with 5 reps on higher than usual and kept adding a plate, dropping a rep each set.
    Half way through something in or close to my spine just burst/popped/ give up. It's hard to describe but it went quite explosively. I stopped straight away.
    Now I've had no pain at all but there's a niggle there, tightness or something. Best way to describe it is it's like I've a big scab on my back that burns a bit.
    No swelling or redness but there's a tender spot between the bone I think
    I know the usual advice and if it sticks around I'll go and see my witch doctor in the hills but as there are plenty of lifters here someone must have experienced the same??
    Rest & what else? More importantly can I still work on bits of me that don't directly affect the middle portion of my back?

Last edited: Mar 26, 2011
  2. SpikeD

SpikeD At the Frankenstein Place

I'd suggest resting it completely until it stops niggling. Try a tennis ball or something similar and massage the area, i find any back issues clear up faster when i rub my ball on them :)

3. Fish Of Doom

Fish Of Doom Will : Mind : Motion Supporter

backs are stupidly complex, so it'll be impossible to tell you if anyone had the exact same thing. goto doctor, see exact nature of problem, fix :)

4. Moi

I'll give it a couple of days first, I'm just being impatient again

5. seiken steve

seiken steve golden member

I got a similar thing but that was caused by too much external rotation and not enough internal, a stopped benching and rubbed the knot with a tennis ball.
    This with a bit of power snatched did the the job.

Mine was gradual and farther from the spine so it sounds too different yet a bit similar.

6. Moi

Did it go with a bang?

7. seiken steve

seiken steve golden member

Was a gradual build up, it made some pretty fun noises if I ever tried horizontal pressing!

8. Jezzikial

Jezzikial Valued Member

Did you hear the pop or just feel it? Obviously I am not a doctor but I have had a few back injuries and now mine is stuffed so my advice is don't screw around with it.

If you heard a pop, then it could be a tear which would require some anti inflammatories and resting (but not over resting, this is a huge problem when people hurt their backs, they rest too much and it stiffens up, plus you lose muscle strength. I would rest the direct muscles and still keep moving). I wouldn't massage or touch it at all, unless it is done by a physio - a sports physio for a MA like you would probably be best.

Now if it doesn't hurt, then it shouldn't be too much of a worry (but you may also have a high pain tolerance since you are a martial artist). I would recommend seeing someone about it though if it hangs around or the pain increases. Try some ibuprofen or some other form of over the counter anti inflammatories as directed on the packet should also help. The only other thing I can think of is disc issues but if it doesn't cause pain then it is fine - lots of people can live with bad discs, especially fit athletes such as you :)

Now this advice is only from personal experience with back injuries, so please check out everything I have said before you try it and obviously my number 1 piece of advice is get your butt to a professional just to get some advice on your training regime and whether you need to alter anything. If you look after it now, you will be able to carry on with the things you love; if you don't then it could cause problems later that could see you missing out on the action for longer than if you had taken a few days to tend to it. Good luck ;)

9. Moi

Oh how little you know me:)

I don't think I heard anything when it went it was just a sensation of something giving way with considerable force. I'm pretty sure it a disc that's hurting.
    I'm keeping mobile as I can feel it if I sit down. First thing in the morning is fine and it gets progressively more noticeable during the day although still not hurting.
    I'm taking ibuprofen & glucodamine sulphate (it was cheap) as well as my omega 3 as usual & not putting it under any force and crossing my fingers.

I wouldn't be so concerned but it was the force of whatever giving way, hopefully it's just a small rip or tear

10. rivend

rivend Valued Member

Well be careful with this because pain is usually associated with some type of inflammation in the back even if you cannot obviously see it. And because it's localized I would think there is some type of strain on a sensitive already injured area going on.

And you need to try not to aggravate it more.Possibly a good heating pad on the spot plus the medications your taking.

If the pain spreads or get worse definitely go see a doctor so they can do a picture of the area.Between the bone as you say could be a muscle strain but also a possible disc acting up. Good luck with this I hope it is not serious.