Atkin's diet garbage

Discussion in 'Health and Fitness' started by TKD, Jan 30, 2004.

1. TKD

TKD New Member

What is up with people and this carbs are the enemy Atkin's diet. It's common knowledge that you must be in a calorie deficit in order to lose weight. Why do they think not eating carbs is going to magically make them lose weight? You need more carbs than fat and more fat than protein. As long as you stick to that and eat a reasonable amount of food you'll lose weight or stay about the same. If someone could explain to me what this carbs being bad thing is all about I'd really appreciate it.

2. hwardo

hwardo Drunken Monkey

I think that the Atkin's diet has gotten popular for two reasons:

1)It works fast (in spite of its unhealthiness).

2) People can eat a bacon cheeseburger on it as long as they hold the bun.

People love the idea of a quick fix, and it is all the better if they don't actually have to stop eating crap.

That said, we do eat way to many carbs with our meals. A good example of moderation in diet would be a Chinese diet-- you have a little of everything, and you mix it all together.

3. WhiteWizard

WhiteWizard Arctic Assasain

yeah it does work and works well for those without the time to live a more active lifestyle (otherwise known as the sensible way to loose weight) however studies on its effects are still ongoing i for one would like to see the research on them. Only problem being research seems to be bias one way or another due to the tremendous feeling about this diet

4. semphoon

semphoon walk idiot, walk.

The Atkin's diet is a sign of the times; all this fascination with celebrities and new ways to get fit (quick and easy) that last a few weeks-

"Great I look thin and beautiful"

"But it's very bad for you to eat all that junk. Plus your body needs carbs- it's the main source of energy!"

"Oh...but I look thin and beautiful on the outside, who cares about the inside?"

I doubt there is anyway that an active MAist (trains hard 3 or more times a week) could get by on the Atkins due to lack of carbs.

Oh and (during certain periods) the diet apparently gives you bad breath. Brilliant...

"But at least I look thin"
    :woo: :woo: :woo:

5. toothpaste100

toothpaste100 Banned In 60 Seconds

There is nothing wrong with Atkin's diet... as long as you don't actually participate in it. Its a great way to boost Mc.Donalds and other fast food restaurants' declining stock prices.

6. Shortfuse

Shortfuse King of Hearts

yea the atkins diet killed some weaker people, or so i heard

7. Tosh

Tosh Renegade of Funk

Before anyone start talking a load of nonsense they know nothing about.

Can someone please ensure that somone actually post what the Aktins diet is, instead of just plainly lambasting it.

To answer the initial posters question, it does not say carbs are evil and it does not say you should eliminate them (in the lon term anyway) is down to the fact that a large proportion of "overweight" people consume too many calories through carbohydrates. Remember it's a diet for weight loss, not a diet for life.

A recent documentary had Victoria Wood (of all people) uncover a shrewd fact.

"We've gone from being a society that was paid to lose calories and gaining excess calories were expensive, to one where we are paid to sit on our ass and extra calories are cheap and readily available."

Think your Grandparents had a weight problem while Grandad was busting his ass against the Nazi's and Granny was digging for victory on rations?

Excuse me, must go finish my microwave pizza and sit and watch the sport on TV................;)

8. Ad McG

Ad McG Troll-killer Supporter

There was a horizon episode on it the other week, very interesting. Not a lot I didn't already know about it though.

Basically it just avoids carbs, and lets you eat as much protein and fat as you want. People on it tend to eat less though because the protein is more filling. You do get bad breath and you can get pretty bad wind.

Anyone who says they are on it or even thinking of going on it instantly induces a barrage of abuse from me :D What is the point in losing weight too quickly and then putting it back on 5 times as fast as you lost it??? Ok you get to eat a lot of crappy food, but who cares?!? I eat awesome food and I have a pretty damn healthy diet. You also lose out on various vitamins and micronutrients etc.
    Everything in moderation boys and girls, apart from water, hehe.

People suck. Too many quick fixes believed by dumbasses.

9. Shortfuse

Shortfuse King of Hearts

Once you are able to stay off the bad food the good food is actually better. i am truly disgusted by mcdonalds and bugurking once i found out how it was made, what was in it, and what it can do for you negatively. some of those burgurs and meals ( mostly the meals) have enough fat to last you 2 or three days. i bet once other people find out thats it worse than junky food they could stop too.

And as for the atkins diet or any other easy way out diet, you would feel better if you lost that weight or fat in a harder way because then you know that you CAN do it and your body is fit enough and tough enough to stand it. whats the point of getting a six pack through surgery? it would probably break or something in a few years.

exuse me if i misstook the atkins diet for something worse than it might be. If so many people are doing it then something must be good about it. but in my opinion from what i know- it doesnt seem too good

10. Tosh

Tosh Renegade of Funk

This is the type of attitude that annoys me! "Do it the hard way, it's better for you".

Has it ever occured to you some people just can't do it "the hard way" or have time to?

I'm speaking of course about people who, due to thier working lifestyle find a sensible diet too difficult to manage. The Aktins diet gives people results and an idea about nutrition with the long term plan re-introducing carbs back to a normal level. What about people that are so obese they cannot exercise, or are unable in another way. Sometime a diet like this that can produce result give people the MENTAL encouragment to keep it up.

Case Study: My mum, on low fat for years never stuck to it, lost a stone in 4 weeks on atkins and now stays thier due to a balanced diet once she got down there. Now knows all about foods and is a more educated person about diet. Without Atkins giving her results she could stick to, she would be just as fat.

11. Grifter

Grifter Edited by White Wizard

Grrr Im so sick of the atkins diet. All these stupid commercial advertising low carb meals and this fast food place. Even friggin beer companies are advertising that 'their' beer has less carbs than this other beer. I hate it all. Dont care if it works or not all these ads are driving me crazy...end rant

Why do things the hard way if the easy way gets you the same results faster??Just because its harder doesnt it make it better. And atkins doesnt complete take out carbs. Your supossed to limit your carb intake. Let people use what works for them and stop complaining because "they are doing it the easy way". Them doing the atkins or any other diet doesnt effect you one bit so why let it bother you. And obviously it works for some people because Tosh's mom sounds like she had success with it.

12. Yukimushu

Yukimushu MMA addict

Because they're lazy human beings who want a quick route...

13. Shortfuse

Shortfuse King of Hearts

alternatives

i dont mean do it the hard way but rather dont do it the lazy way.
    And before you get angry, when i say lazy, isay for people who dont put in any much effort. There are many diets and plenty of ways lose weight and fat with out exersise. And it sohuldnt be an exersise that could make you better off on the outside then on the inside.

For those people who cant exersise shouldnt exersise much, or cant find the time, thats all good and well because you cant help it but if you are that determined to get better than you should choose wisely. I know about this becuase my mother also has to watch herself and the same goes for me. shes diabteic and i come from a long line of diabetes victums and i dont have it but even she doesnt suggest the atkins diet.

If you are in a position where you cant exersise (aside from the reason of a lack of time). Then you should try to use diet where you get all u need.

14. Shortfuse

Shortfuse King of Hearts

for the remark about the atkins not taking cabs out completely.

ok

for the stop complaining remark and leave them alone.

im a strong beiliever in leaving people to whatever they do, good or bad, if it doesnt affect me much. I dont care, but im just merely expressing my opinion. nothin g personal, sorry if i come off angry.

15. Tosh

Tosh Renegade of Funk

Re: alternatives

For a lot of people DIET has got nothing to do with tangible reasons like choice of foodstuffs.

IMO anything which gets people interested in what's actually contained in what people genrally stuff thier faces with is a good idea.

How many people now know the difference in what carbohydrates and protiens provide thanks to the Akins diet. This just stinks of berating something because it's popular.

If it bothers you that much ignore it, no one is asking you to go on the diet are they? With the obesity rate going nuts at the moment at least this is something in the right direction.....

Beats people starving themselves to get thin which is equally dangerous.

16. Shortfuse

Shortfuse King of Hearts

Re: Re: alternatives

it doesnt bother me at all. im just expressing my opinion. did u read my last post?

and yes it does beat the obesity rate but as you said , they dont bother me and i should leave them alone. it is something in the right direction but its not perfect and no matter what there are allways alternatives
    :)

17. TKD

TKD New Member

The Atkin's diet is bad for the public in general. People look at those ads on tv and think, hey, stop eating carbs and lose weight but still eat things like Mcdonalds! How can I lose? They don't give the public information like: Doing this for a long time can be bad for your health in several ways, including, sending your cholesterol through the roof because your main source of energy is fat. They also don't tell them that you still can't eat huge meals or lots of meals because you do have to eat less calories than you use. This nonchalant hype without giving pertinent information is not good, PERIOD.

18. Tosh

Tosh Renegade of Funk

Re: Re: Re: alternatives

He he, Of course I did, weight is pretty personal too me and some of my mates who get a hard time over it. It stems from my sis working with Kids who have emotional probs.

I'm not having a dig at you trust me :D. The remark about it bothering people wasn't directed at you it was at the tone of others. I was using your qoute for an example of for a lot of people choice is not as easy as it seems for you or me ;)

19. Ad McG

Ad McG Troll-killer Supporter

Re: Re: alternatives

First of all, congrats to your mum for losing the weight, and re-introducing herself to carbs and a better diet. That is what a diet should be like. This is part of the 1% of diet cases that actually work long-term.

The reason why I personally get annoyed with it is because I hear so many people going "yeah I'm gonna go on the atkins diet", and they don't actually know anything about nutrition, and don't care unless it's about making them skinnier. They aren't interested that staying on it long-term is very unhealthy (mark my words, this will be statistically proven in a few years time :) ), all they care about is that "5 stone lost in a day" that is written on the front of their diet books. Going on it for a short time is fine and will give good results, but anybody who doesn't start gradually re-introducing carbs is heading down a rocky road if you ask me. I think it's probably just me getting annoyed with the ridiculous apathy that people have towards food these days, and then so many people complain that they are fat and don't feel good. STOP GETTING SUCKED INTO EATING CRAPPY FOOD.

Personally, I couldn't cope without pasta or bread no matter how much meat I could eat, and that's just a start!

20. Shortfuse

Shortfuse King of Hearts