Are bag gloves necessary?

Discussion in 'Health and Fitness' started by Spinmaster, Oct 30, 2008.

1. Spinmaster

Spinmaster Valued Member

2. pauli

pauli mr guillotine

gloves are pretty much necessary, but bag gloves are not. bag gloves exist so that you don't wear out your hitting-people-suitable training gloves.

that... doesn't look like much of a bag glove, though. more of a mitten. i really don't like the looks of it.

3. Su lin

Su lin Gone away

I just use my rubbish old gloves on the bag or sometimes just use my wraps.I wouldn't go out and buy new ones just to get them knackered again. Not sure I like the look of those Everlast ones though.

4. *MiKe*

*MiKe* Ek = ½ m V2

Many martial artists hit the bag without gloves.
    They say it conditions the knuckles and wrist and feels more realistic?

5. pauli

pauli mr guillotine

i was brought up doing bareknuckle bag work. there are many problems with the practice. do a search, you should find some good discussion. some points:

a: very few people take the time to properly setup their bag for bareknuckle work, resuting in both poor technique and increased risk of injury.

b: breaking your hand/wrist because you were too freakin dumb to wear $2 wraps is directly in opposition to the usual goal of "street readiness and realism."

c: knuckle conditioning ain't all that, and there are less dangerous ways to go about it anyway.

Last edited: Oct 30, 2008
  6. Dillon

Dillon Valued Member

I will hit the bag bareknuckle from time to time, in short bursts, to work on kime and conditioning. For any longer or more serious bagwork, you're served very well by having wraps and gloves. I personally would prefer wraps and gloves, or if I had to choose, I would pick wraps with no gloves over gloves with no wraps.

7. Spinmaster

Spinmaster Valued Member

Okay, thanks everybody. Looks like I should just use an extra pair of regular gloves and look into some wraps, then.

8. Knight_Errant

Knight_Errant Banned Banned

If you don't have to wear gloves when hitting the heavy bag, this suggests that you're not hitting it hard enough.

9. Hiroji

Hiroji laugh often, love much

or the bag is too light!

10. Southpaw535

Southpaw535 Well-Known Member Moderator Supporter

the scars on my knuckles say otherwise. i know its an old thread but im going through everything to see what i find

Last edited: Dec 30, 2008
  11. DaeHanL

DaeHanL FortuneCracker

boxing gloves are good, but you'll eventually break them down. bag gloves are cheap and a good way to save your hands. women like a nice soft touch.

12. Southpaw535

could you use just wraps?

13. g-bells

g-bells Don't look up!

in my oppinion an experience wraps are the most important. a properly wrapped hand with any glove has done me well

14. Southpaw535

i need to but some. i got gloves with my bag but im still bruising my knuckles

15. g-bells

g-bells Don't look up!

it takes awhile but they will toughen up, just don't over do it. You can also use the bag to quick'in your punches by not fully hitting it, also you can change up the tempo and cadence ie 1,2,3........... 1,2...3.......1....2,3

16. Moi

Moi Warriors live forever x

Argos

17. Southpaw535

while stores last. they're next i tells ya!!!

18. Genkuro

Genkuro Valued Member

I've hurt a tendon in the area running from the wrist to first knuckle on the pinkie, about a month ago, and it still starts to hurt if i go full force so its really not worth damaging it even slightly because it interupts training. Don't be a knockoff nigel, get some proper gloves.

The injury is probabally a combo of,

a)I have a tendancy to strike little finger knuckle first, feels like a more natural, powerfull and better controlled strike for me

b)The bag gloves ive got have worn down on there padding on this finger region

c)Didn't wrap up

It really pee's me off that I still can't lay into things.

19. Doublejab

Doublejab formally Snoop

Personally I prefer using boxing gloves to bag gloves as I find they offer better protection and wraps fit under them better. As Martial Dad says, Argos is a good bet, I pay 15 quid a pair and they last me a long time.

To the guys advocating not using gloves or wraps, bare fist its alright for the odd very short session but for proper workouts on a firm bag its very bad for your hands and can precipitate the onset of arthritus.

20. Moi

Moi Warriors live forever x

Argos is the fastest/easiest solution, personally I'd use Ebay and get Twins wraps like I did a couple of months ago. It might just be brand name fetish ( a common disease in the UK) but in protection products it's good to buy the best.

Attached Files: