Anyone know how to circulate energy through meridians?

Discussion in 'Health and Fitness' started by red dub, Oct 23, 2021.

1. red dub

red dub New Member

I read about it in one of the last issues of T'ai Chi Magazine. A practitioner of Traditional Chinese Medicine and Taiji describes circulating energy around meridians while standing or practicing slow Taiji. It makes me want to learn TCM. I really have no interest in fighting. I know how to open my macro and microcosmic orbits. I picked that up reading Mantak Chia books and training Silat and Escrima, which opened me. I have had acupuncture and acupressure from a man schooled in China and it is amazing what he does. I am not impressed by American acupuncture so far but I had Cranial Sacral Therapy from this woman and it was extremely powerful...
    I am currently practicing mainly Qigong, Taiji and Bagua, although I still do it with a Silat flavor. I really have no interest in fighting and sometimes I wish I hadn't learned how to fight! AHHHAHA

2. Xue Sheng

Xue Sheng All weight is underside

lots and lots of training, there are no shortcuts

3. YouKnowWho

YouKnowWho Valued Member

Why?

4. red dub

red dub New Member

It's been a hell of a time. I make the funny signs with my hands and read five elements. I want to learn Traditional Chinese Medicine. I understand that five element theory comes into play in acupuncture and mixing herbal formulas. I am 45 YO. I want to live to be at least 90 YO!

5. Grond

Grond Valued Member

I don't know the first thing about this topic, but my Tai Chi teacher has never once mentioned meridians. To me that stuff is esoteric mysticism, I'm not sure of its value considering modern medical science doesn't have much evidence to say it is effective. If you need to rely on it conceptual, whatever floats your boat. I visualize the sea, other people visualize breathing in different colors. Some people talk to Jesus.

But CST, that's what a pseudoscience really looks like. According to the science it's not much better than a normal head massage for stress relief, and can even be harmful if chosen over a legitimate therapy for a cranial issue.

I hope you didn't pay her a lot, but respectfully, she's a quack.

Craniosacral therapy - Wikipedia

David Harrison likes this.
  6. David Harrison

David Harrison MAPper without portfolio

I'm sure this is something covered by Mantak Chia. If you want energy work without martial arts, I would see if there is a Universal Healing Tao teacher near you: Universal Healing Tao - Mantak Chia

7. David Harrison

You could call it "proto-medicine": Medical Classics: The Yellow Emperor’s Classic of Internal Medicine

As for visualising the sea or Jesus, I would suggest that visualising something actually happening in your body in relation to what you're doing might be more beneficial.

8. Grond

Grond Valued Member

The meridian stuff? I guess so. I have had accupuncture done and it's been effective for me, and I understand the idea of mapping out various anatomical points has its benefits. I just had a deep tissue CBD oil massage from a licensed therapist who has an immense knowledge of my connective tissue, and she uses her own system for working the tissue, lines points and all. And alot of that is balanced by monitoring my breathing cycles, subtle movements and so on. And my body definitely has to he prepared for certain stretches, so the idea of "circulations" and so on being in balance in a given moment makes sense.

Based on some quick reading I did, the TCM concept of meridians (which I think we can all agree is flawed from a medical standpoint) does do something useful to some degree, just that it is highly subjective (like accupuncture). But there is certainly too much anecdotal evidence to dismiss completely.

CST on comparison, is right out. If the medical community concensus was "Tai Chi does nothing, and might harm you", I wouldn't do it. Thankfully the medical science says the opposite.

So, rather than rely on mystical hand movement and treatments, treat yourself to a warm deep tissue massage by a licensed pro, and you might reach Nirvana, which is how great I'm feeling today. :)

9. David Harrison

I'm in complete agreement :)

10. David Harrison

...except I don't think there's any evidence for topological use of CBD, is there?

11. Grond

Grond Valued Member

A lot of oils have healthy skin properties, since dry, cracked, or inflamed skin is so common.

CBD oil in particular may have enhanced anti-inflammatory properties because of the class of plant it comes from, but studies are small and few so far because this stuff has only been legal for a short time over here and there is a lot of junk on the market, which is why I would only trust my certified and licensed therapist to offer it. Hemp seed oil is not the same, and CDB products are barely regulated.

Otherwise I'd use some other oil. I'm fond of eucalyptus and peppermint oil, both of which are definitely anti inflammatory. Anybody who beats up their body as much as I do, will appreciate these kinds of treatments for recovery. I personally believe they are life extending. Smells better than Bengay too.

I won't touch oral fad supplements like CBD pills until a few years down the road...some early studies show they may cause liver issues (again, unregulated as to dosage etc). I avoided those shark cartilage pills years ago using the same logic, never trust a commercial or a mall kiosk salesperson.

CBD for Skin: What to Know

12. jmf552

jmf552 Member

I studied Tai Chi for 14 years under a guy who really could use it to fight. He talked a lot about circulating energy, but never mentioned meridians. I always got the impression the meridian stuff is more for the medical aspects.

I'd be really skeptical about learning that stuff in Western countries. Sure, there must be some qualified teachers, but there are also a lot of charlatans. There are charlatans in lot of martial arts and folk medical arts, but the internal arts seem to attract them more often, because the "pressure testing" in internal arts is not as clear as it is in the external.

aaradia and David Harrison like this.
  13. Dead_pool

Dead_pool Spes mea in nihil Deus MAP 2017 Moi Award

Generally oil applied to the skin has to be diluted with carrier oils, so your getting a tiny dose of something applied topically (many substance's don't get absorbed well topically).

What's good about getting an oily massage, is the massage bit, anything extra on top is just the placebo effect, and extra seretonin from having human contact.

I bet CBD massages sell well though, humans love a trend!

In the US food supplements are barely regulated, over in EU countries things are a bit better, but its still worth being wary of taking substances that are implied to have a medical effect, but not stated as such because then they would have to be regulated.

You wouldn't take an unregulated medicine (actually that's not a given anymore!) so why would you take an unregulated pseuduo medicine!

axelb likes this.
  14. Dead_pool

Dead_pool Spes mea in nihil Deus MAP 2017 Moi Award

(Looks at YouTube channel)

So what 'cha gonna do with your other two wishes?

15. aaradia

aaradia Choy Li Fut and Yang Tai Chi Chuan Student Moderator Supporter

Mod note/ warning: Let's keep the commentary (and any critiques) constructive and friendly. Thanks!

Simon likes this.
  16. YouKnowWho

YouKnowWho Valued Member

You still have not explained what you have said, "I wish I hadn't learned how to fight!"

If you can't protect yourself in your next fight, how will you be able to live to your 90?

My long fist teacher is 94 years old today. He had learned how to fight. Learning how to fight doesn't prevent him from living a long healthy life.

Grandmaster Li, Mao-Ching (李茂清)

17. aaradia

aaradia Choy Li Fut and Yang Tai Chi Chuan Student Moderator Supporter

o_O:rolleyes: Most people go through life without learning martial arts and without ever getting in a fight. Learning to fight is NOT a prerequisite to living a long life. Let's not take ourselves too seriously as martial artists.

Shmook and Simon like this.
  18. Grond

Grond Valued Member

The skin health benefits of therapeutic oils are definitely not placebo effects. Oils help the skin maintain hydration which is the most important aspect of maintaining the body's largest organ. I mean, people have used oatmeal on their skin for thousands of years and it works exactly like medicine. Hard to argue against oatmeal oils, any allergist will tell you to use it for dry or damaged skin.

As far as CBD though, the medical effects of CBD are becoming more understand and they aren't "pseudomedicine" since they're already prescribed for specific maladies, especially childhood seizure disorders, by licensed doctors. Obviously though, the dosages and methods there are carefully controlled.

My CBD massage was an extra $20, my skin is nice and lubricated and soft. Worth every penny.

https://www.health.harvard.edu/blog/cannabidiol-cbd-what-we-know-and-what-we-dont-2018082414476

19. YouKnowWho

YouKnowWho Valued Member

Living a long healthy live has nothing to do with learning how to fight.

I use my long fist teacher as one example to prove that learn how to fight doesn't prevent one to live long life. I didn't say in order to live long life, one has to learn how to fight.

The OP states that he doesn't want to learn how to fight because he wants to live to his 90. I just want to understand his logic behind.

Last edited: Oct 24, 2021
    Grond likes this.
  20. Grond

Grond Valued Member

I gotta be honest, I don't agree with his logic.

I think you live to be 90 by fighting for every day, and chilling on Sundays, maybe watch a little football and treat yourself to wings and beer to prepare for Monday. Oily massages just give you something special to look forward to every other week. :D