Any decent Muay Thai Fighters gyms in London/East London UK ???

Discussion in 'Thai Boxing' started by DuvalS, May 24, 2015.

1. DuvalS

DuvalS New Member

Hi All

Need some help, I am trying to locate a a decent Muay thai gym that focuses on rearing and creating fighters and not just caught up on making money or too cardio and fitness concentrated but actually show you how to fight/self defence etc

Been to one or too and it feels they just rush you through the class moving from one exercise to the next and not really concentrating on what you are doing is correct or not.

I m sure im not the only one who is looking for these type of gyms.

Would be great to hear from any fighters or Muay Thai practitioners of gyms to which they would suggest to attend and why , with locations please.

Thanks in advance.

2. Pretty In Pink

Pretty In Pink Moved on MAP 2017 Gold Award

London has the best of everything man. Except JKD ;)

Self defence and martial arts are two different things. Obviously you want to learn to fight.

I have heard good things about Kings MMA. Check them out?

3. DuvalS

DuvalS New Member

Thanks bro i will do. Yup i wanna get the ole fighting skills up.

4. fire cobra

fire cobra Valued Member

KO Gym good to Greg Wooten awesome performance yesterday at Main Event:)

5. DuvalS

DuvalS New Member

Thanks bro will look them up too. Have heard KO is just too over crowded to get proper teaching attention, not sure how true that is.

6. Pretty In Pink

Depends man. I get a lot of instruction by raising my hand and asking questions. My class is quite full too.

7. DuvalS

DuvalS New Member

MMA vs Muay Thai ( London UK )

Hi all

Wanted some opinion and guidance from fighters or the well informed on MMA and Muay thai.

I want to take up a fighting form that aint just guided at just the fitness or sport, but something that is applicable on the street as well the cage/ring

Any one got an opinion or advice on which is better or to start learning? mma or MT ?

Also any recommended gyms that are fighters only gym would be great

Thanks in advance.

Peace

8. Simon

Simon Administrator Admin Supporter MAP 2017 Koyo Award

There are some big differences between fighting arts and self defence.

Even arts that claim to teach SD can be woefully lacking.

This thread will hopefully explain things a little better.

My suggestion is to train in something that you enjoy and don't worry about the self defence aspect.

Once you get some training under your belt there are some very good courses and sessions close to you.

Our very own jwt teaches in High Wycombe.

Come to the MAP Meet next month and I'll introduce you to him.

9. Simon

Simon Administrator Admin Supporter MAP 2017 Koyo Award

DuvalS, I've merged your threads as they're very similar and we don't permit cross posting.

I think both of your questions can be answered here.

10. DuvalS

DuvalS New Member

Thanks Simon, sorry, second post only came about as researching about.

Will stick a date in the diary and will make an effort to come up. thanks again.

11. Pretty In Pink

Well both of those are technically sport arts. Both will wreck most people in a street fight. I'd recommend MMA purely because you have the ability to stand up if you yet knocked down. At the end of the day, it all comes down to what you like doing more. Nothing stopping to from doing both though.....

12. Mushroom

Mushroom De-powered to come back better than before.

I would recommend KO as well, think they have a couple of branches. Main one in Bethnal Green.
    Urban Kings (Kings Cross) has a regular stable of fighters.

13. Unreal Combat

Unreal Combat Valued Member

Try a class out for yourself. It's the only true way to know if a gym is a good fit for you or not.

14. Unreal Combat

Unreal Combat Valued Member

Was a good fight against Rungravee.

Joe Hall had a good fight too.

15. Van Zandt

Van Zandt Mr. High Kick

To echo what others have already said (but in a sexier accent), whether you will prefer MMA or Muay Thai is a question that can only be answered by your trying them both for a significant amount of time (i.e. a few months rather than a few lessons). Only you can determine which suits your goals better.

With regard to which gym is best, perhaps for now you would get more out of finding a smaller gym. Those with big pro teams typically do not provide much contact between the "new guys" and the top coaches (you'll probably find yourself getting palmed off with some assistant coach).

16. DuvalS

DuvalS New Member

I think youre right Redcoat Ninja, id have to "prove" my self before meeting the top coaches lol, might just be a case of taking a class in each and see which i lean more towards...

Thanks guys

17. Dizzyj

Dizzyj Valued Member

If you are still looking, you might want to check out www.urbanwarriorsacademy.com

Disclaimer: I work there, am an instructor there, and also part owner, so maybe just a tad biased ;).

However bias aside our muay thai coach Winston Fraser is very good, he's won british, european and world title belts and in fact as I type this I can hear the sound of him hitting the pads as he demos a combo and it's clearly audible above music and two classes! Tuesdays is almost entirely sparring whereas Thursdays is mostly padwork with some sparring in there, and Saturdays are a little more free with student input (what they want to work on etc) guiding the classes. We're a relatively new gym so we don't have any muay thai fighters at the moment but a few people are heading in that direction, and he has a few pros that he trains who come into class fairly often.

In terms of MMA, we have a dedicated fight team and a couple of fights under our belt, with more coming in the next couple of months. Marcin Lazarz is our coach, and recently won the BAMMA Light Heavyweight belt. He's extremely skilled and sets high standards for his students, everyone in his classes has advanced in fighting and in conditioning very quickly. We have a couple of classes on the timetable for that, along with an extra training session for advanced students and those on the fight team when everything gets turned up a notch. We've also got very experienced coaches in Boxing and BJJ to compliment, particularly relevant is our once a week no-gi wrestling class with our BJJ blackbelt Martin Foot.

We're a new gym so you get lots of one-on-one time with all of the coaches, and I'm honestly proud of the hard work ethic which our students have developed. If you are interested in checking things out everyone gets a free trial of a session, drop me a PM if you want any more info.

(I hope this doesn't count as advertising, a mod can remove it if it's inappropriate but it seemed relevant to the question.)

18. fire cobra

fire cobra Valued Member

Thanks Unreal,Joe let the occasion get to him,didnt stick to the plan at all and I had to proper tell him off for it lol, we had a good opponent but if Joe had stuck to the plan we would of got the W,as it was 1 judge went for us anyway so close,Joe was training 2 days later ,his opponent could hardly walk or hold his arm up,several more well placed kicks would of gave us the win imho:)

19. Adsy

Adsy Valued Member