MAP Meet 2015

Discussion in 'General Martial Arts Discussion' started by Simon, Apr 6, 2015.

1. Simon

Simon Administrator Admin Supporter MAP 2017 Koyo Award

MAP Meet June 13th 2015

Where is it?

High Wycome Judo Centre
    http://www.wycombejudocentre.co.uk/

The venue has matted training areas large enough for 2 or 3 sessions at the same time, changing rooms and showers, on site parking and a social bar area overlooking the main Dojo.

What time is it?

Arrive by 10.00 to sign in and do your personal warm up.

Who is teaching and what arts can I try?

10.30 – 12.00 Session 1. Paralympic Champion Ian Rose (Judo), Southpaw (MMA) & Janno (FMA knife fundamentals)
    12.15 - 13.45 Session 2. Ian Rose (Judo) Lei Bridges (K1 Kickboxing & Muay Thai) & John Titchen (JWT) (Karate Kata Application)
    14.30 - 15.50 Session 3. Smurf (Mushin Bushikan Ju Jitsu) & Mushroom (wrestling basics)
    16.00 - 17.00 Session 4. Simon (Boxing footwork, slipping and body shots) & Lei Bridges (K1 Kickboxing & Muay Thai)

Getting there
    The location is just off one of two M40 junctions for the town and close to the M4 and M25 routes.
    http://www.wycombejudocentre.co.uk/page9.html

Buses or taxis
    You can get a taxi or blag a lift from the central bus station. The Booker/Lane End one (032A) is most likely to be the best choice.
    http://www.transportforbucks.net/Buses-and-trains/Bus-stations.aspx
    You either want the Turnpike Corner West stop or the Lansdell Avenue Stop. The Judo Centre is in Barry Close, High Wycombe, HP12 4UE

Rail
    The station (with trains roughly every 20 mins) is on the Birmingham to Marylebone line, so you can get intercity to one of those locations (or Banbury) and then switch.
    http://www.chilternrailways.co.uk/
    http://www.nationalrail.co.uk/default.aspx

How do I pay?
    Via the just giving page. Just Giving Page

What charity are we supporting?
    MAP has supported some very worthy charities over the years and the 2015 Meet will be in aid of the Childhood Eye Cancer Trust
    This is the charity that helped Ian Rose when he was a child, so with his continued support of the MAP Meet we thought it a nice partnership.

Can I bring a friend/partner/another member of my club?
    Yes. As long as they pay through the Just Giving page. Minimum age is 16.

Will it be fun?
    Oh yes, very much so.

Size, shape, sex, fitness and flexibility aren't a requirement. Come and meet the people you talk to online and see them in a different light.

We look forward to seeing you there.

Last edited: May 24, 2015
  2. Simon

Times have been set, although we always build in some flexibility to these timetables.

Mitch and I have made ourselves available to teach and we'll see how we do on the day.

We have left the afternoon slot open because there is often a session you couldn't take because of a clash and there is the opportunity for an instructor to take a second session.

I would just like to thank all who have offered to teach. All instructors are teaching for free and are paying their own travel.
    All proceeds go to the charity.

3. Southpaw535

Southpaw535 Well-Known Member Moderator Supporter

Double checking that there is a decent section of padded wall for me to play with?

4. Simon

Yes, that won't be a problem.

It's one of the reasons the Judo centre is such a good venue.

5. John Titchen

John Titchen Still Learning Supporter

Almost the width of the dojo. Should be pads between that and the main mat.

6. Alansmurf

Alansmurf Aspire to Inspire before you Expire Supporter

I'll shake hands on that !!!

7. Smitfire

Smitfire Cactus Schlong

Cool...now I just need to perfect cloning so I don't have to choose between people. :)

8. Mitch

Mitch Lord Mitch of MAP Admin

Just to add that these sessions are great fun as well as a learning experience.

I've also made some great friends in the people I've met from MAP, so nobody should worry about egos, experience or anything else. These are very friendly events run by enthusiasts who just want you to share in and enjoy the training they love.

You'd be daft not to :)

Mitch

9. LemonSloth

LemonSloth Laugh and grow fat!

Awesome sauce! I'll be down for this :)

10. Mushroom

Mushroom De-powered to come back better than before.

Sweeeeet.

Also just to add. It will be wrestling basics.

Arm drags, waistlock takedowns. So anyone expecting a suplex...sorry.

And I'll try to keep my childish humour down. :p

Last edited: Apr 6, 2015
  11. Southpaw535

But there will be a a suplex at mine! Or they set up for one at least :p

My session will mostly comprise of wall work.

In short summary:

- Getting to your feet against the wall (will practice a takedown and doing this in open space first as a warm up)
    - Stopping opponent getting up against the wall (couple basic principles)
    - A throw set up with strikes if they do stand up (I'm not expecting people to actually go for the throw if that's a concern. Course, I'm not going to stop you either :p)
    - And a reversal from having your back against the wall (Time allowing, with a rolling choke off the end of it that is deceptively easy and looks badass)

So a bit of attack and defence against the cage basically

Last edited: Apr 6, 2015
  12. Heraclius

Heraclius BASILEVS Supporter

I notice you say sex isn't required, but is it still optional? :p

13. Johnno

Johnno Valued Member

Yes - there's no pressure on anyone. It just makes the day more fun if you join in. ;)

14. Mangosteen

Mangosteen Hold strong not

A choice between southpaw and janno is just unfair!

15. Smitfire

Smitfire Cactus Schlong

I thought Slidey was doing BJJ not MMA?
    I'm not saying he couldn't teach MMA but I think cerebral BJJ is more his forte. :)

16. Mangosteen

Mangosteen Hold strong not

Actually Ian rose just makes this choice worse!

17. Southpaw535

Little old me or an olympic judoka. Tough choice indeed :p

18. Smitfire

Smitfire Cactus Schlong

Lucky for you I've done the last 3 sessions at MAP meets with Ian so you'll get me this time. :)

19. Mushroom

Mushroom De-powered to come back better than before.

Taking his class is one thing...try teaching a grappling class after him! =_="

20. Unreal Combat

Unreal Combat Valued Member

Is anyone able to drop by Nottingham on their way? If so do they have room for two plus about six pairs of Thai Pads? Train is £60 return each! And I just became unemployed. Willing to chip in toward petrol.

Last edited: May 15, 2015