Any advice for knee problems?

Discussion in 'Injuries and Prevention' started by fifthchamber, May 20, 2008.

1. fifthchamber

fifthchamber Valued Member

Recently my knee has been having a problem when I rise from kneeling to a standing position. I can sometimes do it without any problem at all, but occasionally, when I use the muscle more directly to stand up and place too much weight on the knee there is a shooting pain in the tendon (I believe) on the inner area where the muscles join the knee...

Generally it is fine, it doesn't hurt me to walk or run, or cycle or even get noticed except when training (I can squat without pain, but trying to do front squats made the leg hurt a touch)..I can bind it, and the pain is lessened, but not totally fixed, and I was hoping that someone here had any ideas about what to do?

I understand that one way or the other I shall probably have to visit an osteopath at the very least, but it's not inexpensive and I don't have a large surplus of cash lying about..Any ideas about what to do?

Perhaps leaving leg training well alone for a short time would do something?I'm loathe to leave it but I am aware that perhaps the best thing would be to stop training the area directly for a while..

Thanks in advance.

2. carlos

carlos MAP Hoo Flung Dung Expert Supporter

I found this website quite useful for taking advice about my knee problem.

HTH
    Carl

3. fifthchamber

fifthchamber Valued Member

Interesting site mate, thanks for that!

From that it seems most likely to be something along the lines of a Patellofemoral pain problem..The symptoms fit exactly, and it seems more than likely that that would fit what I have..

Well then, Ice packs and a physio when I can afford him it is then...

Once again, thanks for that site..I'm not usually hot on internet medicine, but that one does seem to fit the things I have exactly..

Regards.

4. DaeHanL

DaeHanL FortuneCracker

i'm paranoid about joint injury, so i take Glucosamine/Chondroitin/MSM three times daily. give your joints a helping hand!

5. carlos

Does that come in one tablet/form, or is it 3 separate products?

6. DaeHanL

DaeHanL FortuneCracker

all three come in one tablet. it costs me about $15 dollars a month, which is cheap compared to most supplements. it's been proven to be VERY effective. A pharmacist friend/fellow MAPper told me it received the highest rating.

7. carlos

Just had a quick look - £19.99 for 60 tablets, from Holland & Barrett. I might give that a go as I give my joints a right old battering playing rugby and doing TKD.

8. Phantom Power

Phantom Power Valued Member

FWIW-I hurt my knee back in Nov 07 with similar symptoms as you describe. I had to lay off training for a month (thankfully the Xmas period shutdown anyway) and managed to train with a knee support come Jan 08. I avoided kneeling & sat with the sore leg straight. Its still not 100% (more like 98%) but I've been able to train away without the need for a support since Feb & rarely get soreness. I've found body weight squats and cycling have been good for strengthening it.

Re supplements, if you are in the UK, search the tinterweb there are some cheap sources online based out of the Channel Isles

9. DaeHanL

DaeHanL FortuneCracker

correction: i bought 2 mos. supply for £7.68/$15 at my local grocer.

10. macker

macker Valued Member

I found the following site very reasonable

http://www.healthspan.co.uk/default.aspx