annyoing classmate

Discussion in 'Health and Fitness' started by the artist, May 13, 2013.

1. Dean Winchester

Dean Winchester Valued Member

You, please.

2. matveimediaarts

matveimediaarts Underappreciated genius

Whenever I found myself getting frustrated with new white belts, I thought back to my (quite frustrating) experience as a white belt. Try that. It will most likely give you more appreciation for the new guy's plights. As others said previously, teaching is an opportunity to learn the basics even better.

3. Princess Haru

Princess Haru Valued Member

a lot of people won't practice stuff at home (in Judo it's near to impossible anyway, a few floor drills and some resistance band throws) at least until they are more committed, like a uniform, grading, equipment...

4. bodyshot

bodyshot Brown Belt Zanshin Karate

In my class if you dont practice at home your not gonna make it come test day.

5. the artist

the artist Valued Member

Yeah, I'm also afraid that my annoyance from him is not about him talking a lot and wasting time. Maybe I'm afraid that if he wanted he can be better at it than me :( :(. Maybe I'm just jealous idk :(

6. Princess Haru

Princess Haru Valued Member

but my point is that some people will try something for a few weeks, maybe even a few months but leave before getting graded or tested.

going back to the start of the Judo class, there were several talented beginners who dropped out quite quickly. sure this happens a lot in student clubs, though I think part of the reason could be that they get bored quickly, there is a lot of repetition. some people (myself included) struggle from the start but stick it out just because it's more of a challenge to overcome

7. Grass hopper

Grass hopper Valued Member

It doesn't matter if he is better than you, that's one of the principal lessons to be learned in martial arts.

8. the artist

the artist Valued Member

Yeah but u did not sitt on couch all day and then came struggling u at least did ur best, I have issue with student who do not care alot about the game there just joining to chat and make friends

9. Grass hopper

Grass hopper Valued Member

There's nothing wrong with coming to class to make friends, not everyone is a fighter. If he takes away from your learning experience that is unfortunate.

I used to have a similar situation. I trained along side a girl who just didn't take karate very seriously. I ended up spending decent amounts of time teaching her things a coule times over. And she would slow down our training group on occasion. But it's just part of your martial arts journey.

10. the artist

the artist Valued Member

K man ur more experienced than me so I will take ur advices
    Thank u :)

11. Frodocious

Frodocious She who MUST be obeyed! Moderator Supporter

Hi the artist,

Just a friendly reminder that using text speak is against the rules on MAP, we ask that you use the full version of the words, because it makes it easier for people to read what you are writing. Thank you for your co-operation with this. :)

12. Blade96

Blade96 shotokan karateka

Is it just you him and the teacher? Because if it isnt, maybe the teacher could have a senior student work with you while he helps the one having more difficulty. MY senseis do that. Even if it is just you and him, maybe the teacher could still have a senior student come in and help?

also, about being happy to work on basics. I think the advice is spot on, Get a good grounding in basics and practice them a bit each time, but even so, you cant fool with basics forever. Soon enough the artist is ready for something new but he cant because the other guy is still on basics?

Last edited: Jun 9, 2013
  13. the artist

the artist Valued Member

exactllyyy blade

100% right, that is what im concerned and now it is worse now, he is the worst partner you can train with, always fooling around and not practicing the moves our si-fu gives us. and his being jealous from me so he now refuses to do the right thing when training with me

14. aaradia

aaradia Choy Li Fut and Yang Tai Chi Chuan Student Moderator Supporter

And your Sifu is doing nothing about this?

Shame he isn't noticing on his own, but maybe it is time to have a talk with him about the situation.

Having to train with someone who is goofing around is very annoying.

15. the artist

the artist Valued Member

thanks for the advice aaradia. and you are right it is very annoying training with people who always goof around beside I want to train with more experienced classmates to improve my techniques, training with him will ruin my techniques. my si-fu is great really but maybe he thinks that this guy is a slow learner, not careless, this why he even focus on him more at times, I am the person training with the guy so I know what his issue. he is lazy and could not careless about training. he just comes making jokes and acting silly.

16. Bozza Bostik

Bozza Bostik Antichrist on Button Moon

How does this guy goof/fool around?

What does he do?

17. ned

ned Valued Member

it's unfortunate that you have to always stick with the same partner.
    You would learn more by changing around and practising with different
    students if possible

18. the artist

the artist Valued Member

he refuses to follow the instructions from our si-fu and if its my turn to practice my moves on him, he never does the right thing. it is just so freakingggggg annoyinggg man. really I started to go on days where he is not there. but then he started coming and now I see him in every class.

19. the artist

the artist Valued Member

it is because most people are advance and we are the only 2 beginners.

20. Moosey

Moosey invariably, a moose Supporter

The last thing to try is, while you're waiting for him to catch up, focus your chi on his head and try and make it explode, Scanners style. If it doesn't work, his chi must be stronger than yours so he's probably not as bad as you think.