Alternative to Trap bar for Shrugs?

Discussion in 'Health and Fitness' started by SCP_Kensei, Dec 9, 2005.

1. SCP_Kensei

SCP_Kensei www.taintedlover.com

My gym doesnt have a Trap bar, and after speaking to the management it's unlikely they will be getting one.

So my question is, what's a good alternative for working Shrugs etc...?

I am currently using 2x40kg dumbells, and I have a feeling in a few weeks these are going to be too light for me.

Any suggestions? I'veconsiderd using an olympic bar or Z bar for them, but would the change in hand position cause problems with technique?

Last edited: Dec 9, 2005
  2. inteq9

inteq9 165lb of TROUBLE!

Use a barbell homie. Just don't smash your nuts.

3. Ad McG

Ad McG Troll-killer Supporter

Use dumbells and do incline shrugs. See how you go! :)

4. DSDbronson

DSDbronson Master of Sports & Women

Do a set a bent over barbell rows adn with the same weight before you put down the bar finish with shrugs. Sort of do the shrugs as a finsher to each set of rows.

5. SCP_Kensei

SCP_Kensei www.taintedlover.com

Some cool advice there guys, i'll try those ideas out.

6. Maverick

Maverick New Member

I suggest using a barbell as well - but if you're at least deadlifting, I wouldn't worry too much about shrugs, you'll find the traps respond very well to heavy DLing and olympic movements.

7. blessed_samurai

blessed_samurai Valued Member

Snatch grip high pulls and power shrugs.

8. Combatant

Combatant Monsiour Fitness himself.

Shrugs are one of the only exercises that I reccomend for the smith machine. Other then that a normal barbell, or as AdM suggested incline shrugs.

9. ballistic

ballistic Valued Member

hey SCP! a little advice closer to home! try using the bench press on the multi gym, its what i use and you dont have the lovely benifit of the nut crush!! give it a shot
    matt

10. Combatant

Combatant Monsiour Fitness himself.

I agree, the bench press machine works well for shrugs depending on the model.

For the traps I have also found that handstand training does a good job of mine.

11. Colucci

Colucci My buddies call me Chris.

Just to clarify (in case it needed it), those incline shrugs are done face down, as opposed to sitting like you're going to do incline presses.

Also, on the barbell shrugs, 8-time Mr. O Lee Haney was a fan of behind-the-back barbell shrugs, but they never felt "right" for me. Could be an option to try, though.

12. TheCount

TheCount Happiness is a mindset

The problem I've had with doing shrugs with a barbell behind the back is mainly just the awkwardness of controlling past my rear, otherwise they are handy