AGING....How much training is good and enough training ????

Discussion in 'Health and Fitness' started by julio kodokan, Nov 12, 2011.

1. julio kodokan

julio kodokan MUAY THAY & BRAZILIAN JIU-JITSU Student

Yeah, we know aging afects training....we get slower and maybe watch more tv than before...but for the long time martial arts lover the spirit is stil there...as a 56 years old doc I know that frequent colds, bad sleep, continuous exhaust feeling and other signs can warn you are overtraining.However, in a practical way, you are there with your mates at the class, some of them have one third of your age. Punching, kicking and grapling goes on and you forget your age....your masters forget too... cause you are there anyway till the end of the class time.BUT.....maybe shorter but intense would be better for the aged...who knows? I haven't found any articles on that...OSS

Last edited: Nov 12, 2011
  2. Kwajman

Kwajman Penguin in paradise....

Well heck, we just can't stop aging. I am 52 and my job keeps my mind pretty sharp but I've noticed lots of incidents where either physically or mentally we are just getting a little slower. We just have to deal with it. Theres no way I can physically take on people 20 years younger anymore, I just do what I can training and work through the pain however I can. You don't train as hard or as long as when you are younger, but it's worth it to stay active in the martial art of your choice.

I am a 4th Dan and will be 'testing' for my 5th soon. It will actually be an honorary belt only since physically I probably won't be able to go any higher in rank than 4th in real skills. Good luck and let the rest of us 'old folks' know how you're doing.

3. I was tempted to say sorry, I can't help, I am only 48! :D
    But that would be bad taste...

I think we must train smarter, but I find it very hard to wise up! :rolleyes:
    I feel very lucky to still be able to train hard, but I've had a couple of injuries that are forcing me to adapt what I am doing.

Osu!