ads on Oxygenated water

Discussion in 'Health and Fitness' started by TkdWarrior, Aug 9, 2005.

1. TkdWarrior

TkdWarrior Valued Member

Hi guys,
    I have been seeing lots of ads on oxygenated water on TV here in India...
    I have no idea wat it is... so guys tell me
    have you heard or know of oxygenated water?
    What do you think of it overall? Do they produce any horrible side effects for consumers in the long run?
    -TkdWarrior-

2. pgm316

pgm316 lifting metal

Sparkling water?

Like pop, Coke, but water.

Strange how they can make so much on a bottle of water when you think about it :rolleyes:

3. Kwajman

Kwajman Penguin in paradise....

Its water drops that your supposed to put into your other drinks. Its supposed to enhance the bodys ability to utilize oxygen. It usually has other trace minerals in the drops also.

4. TkdWarrior

TkdWarrior Valued Member

really???.. so what happens when your body starts utilizing oxygen?

what your personal opinions on this.. will it effect us in long term/short term?
    -TkdWarrior-

5. Nick K

Nick K Sometimes a Valued Member

Er - I suspect this is a load of codswallop. You can't absorb oxygen through your gut, and you cant breathe water. Unless you are a fish. The only supplement that can help you extract oxygen from air more efficiently would be iron - and then only if you have an iron deficiency anaemia. If you are desperate to chuck money away, PM me and we can sort something out. ;)

6. Prophet

Prophet ♥ H&F ♥

They are complete garbage. :woo:

7. Kwajman

Kwajman Penguin in paradise....

At a tournament I went to in Ohio, there was a "health supplements" thing going on next door. One booth was selling bottles of this stuff about 2.5" tall for..........................$29.95. People were lined up 5 deep to buy it. I don't know what they were thinking.

8. Knight_Errant

Knight_Errant Banned Banned

Yes, I've heard of it. Trout love oxhygenated water. This is why the 'tail' of a rapid usually offers good fishing. A good wet fly will yield results, but during a hatch a dry fly fished there will almost certainly mean you return home with a fish.

9. onyomi

onyomi 差不多先生

Not necessarily. I've never tried it myself, but I've read studies that taking small amounts of food-grade hydrogen peroxide (which has an extra oxygen molecule as compared to water) with water can increase the level of oxygen in the blood stream--so much so that taking too much can be dangerous. I think the benefits of increased oxygen are supposed to be improved stamina, faster recovery time and others. The real way you are supposed to do this buy the hydrogen peroxide (food-grade--not the stuff you get at the drug store) and add a few teaspoons to a glass of water each day. No idea if it actually works, though... anyone tried it?

Carbonated water (i.e. coke, etc.) is not oxygenated water. It has carbon dioxide added (hence CARBONated).

Last edited: Aug 9, 2005
  10. Prophet

Prophet ♥ H&F ♥

This study states that oxygenated water increases free oxygen radicals - not good.

The influence of oxygenated water on the immune status, liver enzymes, and the generation of oxygen radicals: a prospective, randomised, blinded clinical study.

Gruber R, Axmann S, Schoenberg MH.

Department of Internal Medicine, University Hospital, Rheumatology/Immunology, Munich, FRG.

BACKGROUND & AIMS: Oxygenated water with an oxygen concentration of 30-120 mg/l water is believed to improve the immune status, without any toxicological effects. The purpose of this clinical study was to assess the effects of long-term drinking of oxygenated water on the immune status. METHODS: In this prospective, double-blinded, randomised study 24 volunteers of either sex (age 18-63 years) drank daily 3 times 500 ml either oxygenated (Verum-group: n=12) or normal mineral water (Placebo-group: n=12) for 28 days. On day 1 and day 28 standard laboratory tests, IgG, IgA and IgM, lymphocyte subpopulations and functional analysis of T-cells by flow cytometry, were done. Furthermore, the oxygen radicals were determined by the detection of the ascorbyl radicals. RESULTS: Drinking of normal or oxygenated water had no effect on whole blood count or the liver enzymes. Interestingly the volunteers in the Verum-group showed a significant increase in ascorbyl radicals after drinking oxygenated water for 14 and 21 days. CD4+ and CD4+CD45RA+ lymphocytes as well as lymphocyte activation marker (CD69) and soluble IL-2 receptor increased in both groups, in contrast T-helper2 cells and IgG decreased during the study. The only differences between the two groups were a significant decrease of NK-cells form 13.42%+ or -5.04 to 10.83%+ or -4.82 (P<.002) and an increase of the Th1/Th2-ratio from 2.77%+ or -1.07 to 6.68%+ or -5.33 (P<.03) in the Verum-group. CONCLUSION: Long-term consumption of oxygenated water has no apparent harmful effect on the liver, blood and the immune system. Moreover it leads to a transient moderate increase of oxygen radicals in the blood. An interesting observation is the increase of the Th1/Th2-ratio in the Verum group, whereas in both groups T-cell activation after mitogen stimulation, the soluble IL-2 receptor, the CD4+ and the naive CD4+CD45RA+ cells increased.

PMID: 15896427 [PubMed - in process]

This group of university reseachers determined it was indeed a scam.

This website deals all about this scam. Have a read, if you are considering wasting your money on O2 water.

Case closed! :woo:

11. Knight_Errant

Knight_Errant Banned Banned

The stuff about fish is true though.

12. Rhizome

Rhizome Super Valued Member

For health benefits the stuff is great i know this from experience, im not going to get all into it but basically the bad stuff like bacteria, viruses etc are anaerobic and oxygen is aerobic so when bacteria etc are induced in high aerobic enviroments they die or cant spread to healthy cells. But like i said on another similar thread i dont think it does much for perfomance wise, its giving me a little better energy and sleep but i can think of other products that are better for energy.

So basically if its for health go for it but for performance id say give it a miss.

13. Prophet

Prophet ♥ H&F ♥

Placebo.

Oxygenated water ...just doesnt do anything benificial at all.

Show me a study saying it does, and I'll take it back.

14. Rhizome

Not a placebo mate i couldnt care less if you thought it was either try it or dont i aint forcing you.

Ive read loads of studys and if i could be bothered finding them right now i would but if someone else finds them post them up.

Basically ive found it helps me and know personally other people who have cured or helped severe diseases but im not going to get into that. Post a study yourself which tells me that ozonated water doesnt kill bacteria etc in the colon etc etc.

Either try it or dont but dont dismiss it unless you've tried it.
    ------------------------------
    EDIT:
    Just do a simple google search for the studys ive seen a few already which state it as a good anti microbial etc.

Last edited: Aug 9, 2005
  15. Rhizome

Just incase someone else has read my previous thread ive supplement with an oxygen product for the last 1-2 months and it has cured my acne, now i know for a fact if i stopped taking the product it will come back because ive tried but i would shell out the miminal money for my acne to be away. Why because i tried loads of things and nothing worked. But i guess that was placebo effect too i used the mind to clear my acne. :rolleyes:

16. Prophet

Prophet ♥ H&F ♥

So, I took you up on your suggestion. I did even MORE research. And guess what.

Nothin'.

I searched google, I searched PubMed, I searched T-nation, and avantlabs.

So now that I have convinced myself I am correct, the only way anyone who reads this thread will believe oxygenated water supplentation has any benifits, is if you post up those mysterious studies.

17. Socrastein

Socrastein The Boxing Philosopher

The burden of proof is on you Sharkey, you made the claim and Prophet challenged it. It's on you to support your position, not make him prove you wrong.

Sharkey - "There is an invisible green leprechaun on my left shoulder."
    Prophet - "That's ridiculous, do you have any evidence of this whatsoever?"
    Sharkey - "I can't be bothered to dig up all my evidence right now, so how about you prove to me there ISN'T an invisible green leprechaun on my left shoulder"

See how ridiculous your methodology of debate is?

18. Rhizome

The whole point of not being bothered was the fact that i didnt have alot of time and still dont i didnt challenge him i told him to find the studys search ozone therapy studies theres loads. And like i said im going to keep using it why because it works for me my acne and other conditions didnt clear up because i used my mental healing power. So bascially either try it or dont but dont diss it until you try it. There are studies out there that tell me not to train heavy with weights but there are also studies which counteract those same with ozone. Ohh yeah and why do dental hospitals use ozone water to clean bacteria,mold etc out of dental tubing ahh got it again because its a placebo :rolleyes: and there not really cleaning anything eh

19. Nick K

Dont confuse usable oxygen molecules - transported in the body bound to haemoglobin - and O- radicals. Otherwise my friend Duncan the dentist who swallows enormous amounts of air to make himself burp would have the aerobic capacity of Lance Armstrong, which he doesnt, as he's more like a fat turtle. Free radicals are generally regarded as bad, contributing to subtle enzymatic/protein degradation and DNA transcription errors - part of the process that makes us old and wrinkly.

20. Nick K

because oxygen radicals are toxic to living organisms. Just because a substance is helpful in cleaning glassware doesn't mean you'd want it pumping round your veins. When I did surgery, we used to destroy anaerobic colonies in necrotic flesh by pouring hydrogen peroxide onto it. It was really disgusting actually.