A curious question.

Discussion in 'Health and Fitness' started by Combat Sports, Jan 1, 2014.

1. Combat Sports

Combat Sports Formerly What Works Banned

This is more out of curiosity then anything, but I come home from work generally sore in the same places, my lower back, upper back, etc. One would think that if I was making these places sore through use of those muscles that the muscles themselves would get stronger and therefore be able to endure that more easily, but it never gets easier.

What is different about the muscle aches I get from work then the muscle building exercises?

2. Dan Bian

Dan Bian Neither Dan, nor Brian

The kind of aches you‘re describing sound like they come from bad posture, so are actually not the same kind of ache you get from working out.
    what kind of work are you in? From the sound of it, you sit for long periods?

3. Ero-Sennin

Ero-Sennin Well-Known Member Supporter

Depends on what kind of work you do. When I was doing construction I shifted from lifting with my back to squatting and lifting with my legs and the back aches gradually went away. Sitting posture is helpful to relive back stress. Pro Tip: If sitting for long durations, get something to prop one foot on about 7-8 inches in height. It'll take the stress off your lower back (there's a reason for that step/bar under the counter of the bar where your'e sitting on a stool).

Just because you work out a certain muscle during exercise doesn't mean that muscle won't get sore/achey during constant use. You can be in excellent shape and go on a 20 mile ruck and I guarantee you that your back and knees will feel it for a few days, your feet too.

4. Dan Bian

Dan Bian Neither Dan, nor Brian

Your place of work should have a policy in place to protect your wellbeing whilst working - and this should cover everything from manal handling to the correct positions for your seat and computer screen when sitting at a desk.
    Speak to your employer about this.

5. Late for dinner

Late for dinner Valued Member

The answer , to a degree, lies in how you phrased your question.

Why don't those muscles get stronger? Well it isnt' clear that the problem is caused by muscles. On injection studies more than 60% of the pain experienced could be started or relieved through injections to the lumbar discs (I am assuing that you are speaking about low back pain). Muscular discomfort was only relieved with direct injections in ~ 10% of the cases studied.

Yes we get tired in a position and that leads to strains/stresses on other tissues. Some of that might be relieved with posture (as mentioned by Ero) but even that is inconsistent. Sometimes one posture helps and sometimes the opposite does better.
    So vary your position, keep up your general body strength and mobility, eat well and take care of yourself in general (cardio, core etc) and you should find that most niggles are just that and will come and go according to home much you vary from the path (of good self managment). You would be amazed how many peopel get sore from holidays or extended work periods where all their good habits go to pot:mad:)

Just a couple of points to consider. I am sure there are other opinions but these are worth considering in general perspective as much as any other.

:' )

LFD

6. Combat Sports

Combat Sports Formerly What Works Banned

I work in food service, and I frequently have to learn over grills and sandwich tables. I am generally on my feet all day.