3 miler

Discussion in 'Health and Fitness' started by M Lambert, Mar 27, 2006.

1. M Lambert

M Lambert Fitness Consultant

Bonjour. I just found myself a nice 3 mile circuit (I just worked out I live on a "block" - ok so its really big, with fields in it, but still :p), so, in training for the Army, Im gonna start running round it with Webbing (belt order kit), boots, bla bla bla.

Question: How often should I do this?

Merci :)

2. Jamo2

Jamo2 The Louie Vitton Don

My friends got his test to enter the marines coming soon (PRMC)
    He does 6 milers twice a day....think about that.
    He would laugh at your post :rolleyes:

3. Suhosthe

Suhosthe A dwarf! A dwarf!

Depends how much running you do already.

If you're not a practised runner, take it easy. I was so eager to run 3 miles that I did it well before I was ready, and found myself nursing a couple of minor injuries that persisted until I had a break from running for a week or so.

You might find that your cardiovascular fitness vastly outstrips your musculoskeletal fitness, and that you feel like you can run further and faster than your legs can really handle.

Till you're sure what you're capable of, you may want to consider alternating running with walking in timed intervals, around your course. Or, start with a shorter course and build up distance slowly, week by week.

If you're determined to start at 3 miles, then I'd recommend that you allow yourself plenty of time to recover. And standard advice is that one shouldn't run every day until one is capable of running 3 miles, 3 times a week.

Coolrunning.com have a 'Couch to 5K' plan, which is aimed at people who are not necessarily in good shape at the start of the program. 5K is 3.1 miles, so you might find the plan helpful if you do find you need to work up to 3 miles.

4. BigRed389

BigRed389 Valued Member

Hey I know the kind of situation you're in, and I understand sometimes you end up in a bit of a hurry.

If you're pushing yourself to PASS, then a little extravagance is unavoidable. Young people like us can take more shock and abuse, but it does build up I'll tell you.

But if you've already got good scores, I'd take it easy and build up slowly. Most recommend increasing mileage by 10% max /week IIRC.

Another thing is running form. If you go from running with bad form to proper form, you will honestly feel like you're FLYING...and more significantly, it will significantly reduce knee impact shock.

5. josoman

josoman New Member

I would do it everyday but vary the speed/effort. Don't go for a PR everyday, change it up and on Saturday or Sunday take it easy and go 6-8 miles.

6. b19vny

b19vny Valued Member

I would advise against running in belt kit / boots.

If you MUST run with weight then fill some small bags with sand and put them into a small ruck-sack . . . (not a DPM one). If you have the £ then a weighted vest might be a good option.

7. flaming

flaming Valued Member

In the army you run with heavy ruck sacks all the time. I would try to train harder than the army had me training, so it would be relatively easy (yeah right) once in the army.

8. Mitch

Mitch Lord Mitch of MAP Admin

Think seriously about how much you run now.

If you don't do much and move up to running 3 miles a day, carrying kit, in boots not cushioning trainers, you are asking for shin splints which will put you out of action for a fortnight or more.

I ramped my running up from 2-3 miles/week to around 20-25 and even though I was wearing good, purpose-designed running shoes I got shin splints from it, probably made worse by running on pavements.

Build up slowly.

Run on grass/soft surfaces where possible.

Keep a diary of your runs and track your progress.

Best of luck!

Mitch

9. pgm316

pgm316 lifting metal

I'd avoid running in boots and gear until you have to...

Instead I'd concentrate on hill running, should help gain similar endurance!

10. TheMadhoose

TheMadhoose Carpe Jugulum

be carefull when running in boots i know a few ex army guys whos knees are ruined due to running in army boots with packs on.

11. alister

alister Huh?

Don't know how much this helps, but on entry into the RAF I had to be able to do three miles in 21 mins - 7 min miles. Clearly, improvement was expected, and obtained during training.

Yeah, yeah, for the RMs reading I know that's not much, but it was enough for a Crab like me. :D

Another good thing to give a go if you can get a copy is the multistage fitness test - or "Bleep" test. It's used quite a lot in the forces these days. Not sure what the minimum in the Army is, but it's dependant on age etc - might be an idea to find out what the requirement is and give it a go. It would at least give you an indication of where your fitness is at.

12. M Lambert

Thats marines mate, subtle difference to the Intelligence Corps ;) He can laugh all he likes, no need for you to be a sarky git without contributing at all is there ;)

I dont do a whole lot of "running" - but I do lots of physical activity etc.... regularly do exercises with the Cadets, running 2.3 miles with full kit etc as part of competitions.

Cheers for the advice people! :)

13. Darkclownxx

Darkclownxx Valued Member

First you will warm-up in a squad with a run-and-walk for six minutes for 0.8 km (half-a-mile). This is followed immediately by a timed ‘best effort’ over a distance of 2.4 km (one-and-a-half-miles). The course will be on level ground and on a good running surface.

^^ got that off the www.army.mod.uk webby. this is just to pass the fitness test for getting in the army. so if you get use to 3 miles daily you will be alright to pass this test.

im hoping to be joining the army infantry soon, bout this time next year. so im going to start up running more often so i can pass this test with ease.

if you also check, you have to do chin ups, weighted walking at a set distance and this push and pull to measure how much you can lift and push.

but i think you would of known this if your joining :p

14. M Lambert

yeah I had a read, im on about the same situation as you going by our msn convo...

I look forward to giving you old intel :D lmao