Zaad's Training Log

Discussion in 'Training Logs' started by Mangosteen, Sep 16, 2011.

1. Mangosteen

Mangosteen Hold strong not

I noticed this and so did my coach!
    more stuff i need to work on.
    it's a cross of habits from wrestling and bjj.
    when i've done bjj style stand up techniques, the back arch is pretty prominent with those guys, you can see it in Black belt BJJ competitions too. bloody bjjers.
    bad habits need to be broken. im surprised i can make my back that circular!
    yeah i remember that high single cos i tried it earlier and mucked it up but the second video i got it nicely, he got pretty winded from it.
    i also shoulder wheeled him from turtle during the judo style pinning match!
    Im gonna stick with my wrestling for the moment and try to make leaps at that.
    Another place i have a problem with is closing the distance for trips and sweeps during the clinch. Any advice?

too be fair chadz, you did apologise for jumping guard before you did it.
    I tried playing with chadz and making some mistakes to see his reactions but he pulled subs on me too quick!
    that closed guard game!
    I think the main thing you need to work on is not being concerned with pulling the subs and focus on areas you're not comfortable with, avoid comfortable areas like your guard game and get subbed/ pinned a lot till you figure it out.
    I'm comfortable with turtle cos of judo and wrestling, dan is comfortable half guard and will always work for it (even giving up full guard for it), mark is comfortable with side control and takedowns.
    thats why we've set up things like not allowing mark to use side control subs and start on his ass so he improves his other areas, stopping dan using closed guard because it leads to a lot of stalling with him just trying to keep you held down, but he's just ended up working on half guard more, he has crazy half guard sweeps.
    Mainly we just work wrestling stuff, hence why the warm up was all wrestling positions and drills

2. Pretty In Pink

Pretty In Pink Moved on MAP 2017 Gold Award

Next time we should go for sambo rules, no closed guard ^^

3. Mangosteen

or we should just work on our closed guard game! :p

but you guys spent 15 minutes rolling in closed guard.

4. Mushroom

Mushroom De-powered to come back better than before.

BJJ guys can correct me here...but keeping the back straight can also work in BJJ. The 2 are quite interchangable its just positioning essentially (and getting used to rule sets).

Closing the distance in a clinch...bit hard to describe and difficult to do apart from rushing. I'll do my best to describe.

Tie Up - one hand on neck, other on the opponents arm (just like in your video)
    You then push the arm thats holding your neck up and over, while at the same time snapping the neck downwards AND dropping forwards to the knee.

You're pulling the opponent down and forward and they essentially go on all 4s over on top of you, while you can do a single/double leg.

In Soviet Russia Wrestling..double leg comes to you!

With tall/longer limbed opponents, its harder as the legs are still far away so you may have to do a quick shuffle on your knees to get closer.

If you do it very well, you can go straight to back mount.

5. Mushroom

Also do this drill ( I cant due to knee )

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IvTpIAmUgIU&feature=related"]Split Step Level Change KOLAT.COM Wrestling Techniques Moves Instruction - YouTube[/ame]

6. Mangosteen

hahaha soviet russia reference.
    i'll try that for sure.
    i keep failing to close the distance in no-gi uchi mata attempts and shoulder throws, im going to try the knee drop with the shoulder throw next time.
    however the rolling back tomo-nage thing you should me and fish works really well on taller opponents but i've really failed using it on smaller ones.

7. Mushroom

The arm/head suplex thing?

Just practice, although a lot shorter guys, or barrell chested fellas are harder to throw like that because their centre of gravity is so low.

8. Mangosteen

i forgot my lift numbers from last week so progression was odd!
    25kg dumbell bench press 5x5 (each arm)
    60kg back squat 1x5
    70kg back squat 3x3 (last set i tried for 5 reps but only go 4)
    60kg back squat 1x5
    cable twisting seated row 3x10 (each arm)
    pendlay row 15kg 3x10 supsetted with inverted rows 3x5
    facepulls 3x10
    20 kg brick sidebends 3x10 each side
    some stretchy prehab work

Last edited: Apr 3, 2012
  9. Mangosteen

i an effort to do some form of squat daily i did:
    lunges 3x8
    calf raises 6x10, 2x5, 1x20
    mobility and stretchy prehab as well as some ghost throws

10. Mangosteen

thought i should mention, im eating local scottish grassfed lamb ribs.
    never had ribs before!

11. mmmmmm.... I hope you enjoy them then! :)

Osu!

12. Mangosteen

i covered them in nandos peri-peri sweet and sticky sawce before grilling, they were epic!
    i feel a little ill now though but i think thats cos i made some mochachino but used baileys instead of milk and chug that after taking my shark oil pills

13. Mangosteen

its been just over 2 weeks on paleo, i've stayed at the same weight but dropped some body fat and im eating better. definitely leaner than before but i think im going to changing my bench routine to something a little more bodybuilder style once i hit 30kg dumbbell bench press. and add in a arms day for vanity.

14. Mangosteen

after about 4 weeks on paleo i've started carb loading and trying for some PRs while i wait for my new protein.
    Deadlifted for the first time in about 2 months. the raised volume 5x5 squats really helped break plateaus.
    I've completed my 6 week cycle so next cycle (this monday) im back on paleo. should be tasty). Carb loading got me 2 kg heavier in a week and a half!

Deadlift:
    5 reps - 80 (Easy)
    3 reps - 90 (Easy)
    1 rep - 100 (Easy)
    1 rep - 110 (Fail, not even off the floor. should have tried to grind it out)
    1 rep - 105 (Fail, mid shin. Didn't grind it out, im sure i could have)
    1 rep - 100 (Easy)
    1 rep - 100 (Easy)

Shrug and hold 80 kg - 20 seconds back, 20 seconds front.

One hand thick handle dumbbell carries: 40 kg 20 metres each hand.

Overhead press:
    3x5 - 40kg (Easy last week, this week i tried the same and was hard. i had to push press the last few reps, upper back was tired from deadlifts and back work the day before so it was hard to lock out)

Going to stick at 5/3/1 progression for deadlift and high volume back squats.

Last edited: Apr 21, 2012
  15. Mangosteen

I notice that after any deadlifts or hamstring work with stretching or foam rolling after, part of the back of my leg feels "loose".
    like i can push it the muscle fibre between the two outside hamstrings and out of my leg. when i rub that loose muscle it feels like SMR and foam rolling.
    weird.
    any ideas?

Today is chill day.
    woke up at 15:30pm and im now roasting some turkey breast joint with apple and onion and a side of spinach and stuffing before i head to uni to study.
    going 5x5 Squats and bench with pendlay rows tomoro.

16. Mangosteen

I broke my friend today... :ban:

I convinced him to train with us and then i end up accompanying him in the ambulance.

We sparred like we used to at the old club we traind at but he charged me head first (for my legs, not even a shoot) and i kept distance.
    then when he charged me again (like a mad all out charge) i took an over hook on his left arm and an under hook on his right, trapping his head under arm pit and threw him sideways onto his back.
    His neck was forward shoulders back (as in would be in a full nelson) and he heard three cracks mid air.
    he shouted tap and complained about his neck and asked for some ice. centre staff came to check him out and called an ambulance.

It was only muscle strain (i thought so, he could move everything and walk) but good he got it checked out.

I'm feeling as though i should quit grappling or at least dismantle the uni club/sparring time or hand over responsibility.

17. Responsibility for what exactly?
    Nobody died, nobody got pregnant, muscle strains happen all the time... :)

I appreciate you are feeling sorry for your friend; I would empathize too... but this sort of things happen; he'll be back in 3 weeks.

What did you learn Zaad?

Osu!

18. Mangosteen

hand over responsibility for the uni sparring sessions. the paper work was crazy. all types of liability forms. i'm sure someone else could do much better with the safety regulations than me.

yeah the guy was just being a little whimpy. he has a protein defiency anyway so his muscles arent too strong and the throw just caused him some whiplash type feeling.

i realise that when he stepped onto the mat he understood the possible consequences and by steeping on, he accepted that.
    when he charged at me he was asking to be taken down, i got his momentum and all his balance into the throw cos he charged me, no power from me, so the throw was really him, i just guided his energy (sounds aikido-ish but its true).

What i've learnt is that i should take it easier on someone less experienced, panicking and charging. and if i was to be charged by someone off the mat - they're in for a world of trouble.

19. Mangosteen

Did some more testing yesterday.
    Back "Skwatz":
    - 80kg 1x5 (was annoyed not higher but kept stalling out the hole. still had gas in the tanks so...)
    - 40kg 1x15

Dumbbell Chest press:
    - 27.5kg (each arm) 3x5

Pendlay "rowz":
    - 25kg (each arm) 3x10

Squat and press progression will go the same as Wendler 5/3/1.

Front squat will be 5x5 at 0.65 or 0.7 or 0.75 * (0.9*1RM)

Bench dumbbell is currently 3x5 27.5kg. Next week will be 3x3 at 30kg or 3x6 at 27.5kg (depending if i can handle 30kg). Week after will 3x3 at 30 if uncompleted the week before otherwise will be 5x5 at 27.5kg.
    3x5 at 30kg (repeat cycle till 5x5 at 30kg)
    then progress onto 5x5 like front squat.

Deadlift is 5/3/1 alternating goals each week.

Last edited: Apr 24, 2012
  20. Mangosteen

yup so just finished another deadlift session.
    85kg 1x5 easy
    82.5kg 1x3 easy
    85kg 1x1 easy

25 second shrugh hold 80kg.
    30kg 1x8 snatch defecit deadlift.