Your thoughts on a "Kuk Sool" Open Tournament?

Discussion in 'Kuk Sool' started by tulsa, May 11, 2011.

1. tulsa

tulsa Valued Member

:hat:I have ten acres that I was thinking about holding a Mid-West Outdoor tournament on. There is enough space to hold weapons competitions to Horseback Kuk Kung. Would anyone be interested in coming, helping, bringing students etc.. etc.. etc...

The land is near Tulsa, OK.

And what would you like to see different or the same in rules, divisions, events etc..

2. Little Robin

Little Robin Valued Member

ROOOOOAD TRIIIIIIIP!!!!

:happy::running::happy:

3. unknown-KJN

unknown-KJN Banned Banned

My 2¢...

Outdoor tournaments always need to have *alternate* dates set aside due to inclement weather, thus making the whole organizing of such an event rather precarious IMO. Furthermore, the idea of holding a competition for mounted archery is quite noble, but who has the resources to practice this aspect of kuk-sool on a regular basis? If few get to practice a skill, then even fewer are likely to enlist in a competition of said skill. So once you embrace the practicality of the logistics involved, you're looking more at doing such stuff as something for people to "ooh & ahh" at, rather than take it seriously as part of the general divisions within the tournament.

I'm not trying to be a "negative nancy" mind you, but I think supporting current planned events makes more sense at the moment, not that your idea for a tournament is way off kilter (but -as they say- TIMING is EVERYTHING). FWIW, Jason Franklin (of Pasadena Kuk Sool) is already planning an open kuk-sool tournament to be held sometime in early October (if not mistaken). I, for one, will be supporting this event, with my time, energy, money, etc. My suggestion is for anyone else involved with kuk-sool who would like to see a resurgence of decent tournaments to attend, that are NOT closed to anyone who isn't a member of WKSA, would be to support such events.

Location is always a major factor in determining the success of a MA tournament, and the bottom line is that once you try to attract a large following, travel for many of the attendees is inevitable. So, tulsa, I don't think that using your ten acres is a bad idea, but nurturing it to the point where a significant attendance can be assured is probably a smarter approach to take, don'cha think?

4. tulsa

tulsa Valued Member

:evil:Well I already have over 30 horseback archers who practice with me one day a week or more. They also practice knife throwing (zero spin) as well as sword, staff, and other weapons ( besides forms and Tech.'s). Just in case, I do have a friend who is willing to let me use their indoor arena if need be. So the "alternate" date is null. Since the date is not yet set in any form there will be no conflict with Mr . Franklin's Tournament. In fact I would love to support his venture.

What I am trying to do here is get information what, who, when, and any other information Kuk Sool students feel would make a great tournament.

Who knows... Smaller could be better.:evil:

5. unknown-KJN

Planning a successful event is all in the details, and it's clear I was ignorant about all the details pertaining to your idea for a tournament. :confused:

It seems as if going ahead with making more solid plans is certainly prudent, and you can be assured that you will hear from me in the future. ;)

6. tulsa

tulsa Valued Member

Thank you Sir! :evil:

7. Hyeongsa

Hyeongsa The Duelist

Sounds like an awsome idea! Now you just have to get mailers sent out to every Kuk Sool break off school to attend (since WKSA schools are forbid to attend "open" tournaments).

8. tulsa

tulsa Valued Member

Before I send any flyers I am going to do some research... I will include the basics: forms (empty hand and weapons), techniques, Sparring, breaking, Self-defense, knife throwing, Staff sparring ( choreograph and possibly padded sparring), Sword cutting (bladed weapons), long distance kuk kung, Horse back kuk kung, then have a "Master / School Demo at the end. I have also thought about setting it up as a festival type of thing and bring in vendors, music, and food vendors. Who would not want yaki mandu or korean street food???? these are just some ideas that I am working on. And yes they are big so I am trying to get an idea what will work or not.

p.s. Already got some of the Korean Churches in town to agree to help to make it a "Korean Fest" if the details can be worked out.....

9. Hyeongsa

Hyeongsa The Duelist

Sounds like an awsome event! Do you have a web address or anything where any school owners can reach you?

10. tulsa

tulsa Valued Member

11. tulsa

tulsa Valued Member

OK, I still would like your opinion about what you would like to see in a tournament.:evil:

12. tulsa

tulsa Valued Member

Here is a mock up of events and stuff I was thinking about for a Tournament:

2 Day Tournament and Festival
    1st day: Under Black & School Eliminations
    Forms
    Techniques
    Sparring
    School Demo Competition

2nd day: Black Belt Eliminations
    Forms – Empty Hand & Weapons
    Techniques
    Sparring
    Self-Defense Demo
    Knife Throwing
    Sword Cutting
    Weapons Sparring
    Choreographed
    Padded
    Archery
    Long Distant
    Horse Back
    Archery
    Sword Cutting
    Flail
    Crescent Sword
    Venders:
    Food
    Korean Street Food
    Modern Day Fair Food
    Shopping
    Asian Artist
    Martial Art Supplies ( Century )
    T-Shirts ( Tournament )
    Souvenirs
    Photographers
    Event and Candid
    Participation
    Knife Throwing
    Archery
    Weapons

Demo / Ceremony
    Master Demo
    5 – 10 minute personal Demos
    School Demos
    Top 4 School Demos from day 1
    Grand Champion Presentations and Demo

Scheduled Demos throughout each day and at Ceremony
    Korean Warfare Demo
    Korean Music
    Korean Drumming
    Korean Fan Dance
    :evil:

13. unknown-KJN

As much as I would enjoy attending such an event as you outlined in post #12, I hafta warn you that it's a bit, *over the top* (if you know what I mean?). Trying to rally a bunch of MA schools to participate in team competition, when there is no infrastructure tying the schools together, is a mountainous task IMO. Furthermore, how are judges going to be qualified, as well as the skill level for some of the more *dangerous* events you've listed for the black-belt portion of the competition?

I'm not trying to say that such an event isn't worthwhile to strive for, but the pragmatist in me can't help but see the problems involved with pulling off everything as smoothly as we'd like to see it done. Maybe you have more connections (both business oriented as well as MA oriented) than what I suspect, but to be quite honest, the thought of such an undertaking is leaving me a bit overwhelmed. :confused:

But as I said earlier, the idea to hold a tournament of this magnitude is a great one, and maybe I'm getting the wrong impression of how soon you intend to host it. Getting all your ducks in a row, so as to bump into fewer snags along the way, is the first order of business. :cool:

14. tulsa

tulsa Valued Member

I am talking in late 2012 to 2013. I have lots of School owners here in Oklahoma that are very interested, as well as Korean Churches and talking to a few corporate backers. If this Tournament / Festival takes place KiCKS will be over seeing only the Martial Art Tournament and Demos aspects. I already have verbal commitments from several School owners that teach Hapkido, Tae Kwon Do, Yudo, Kuk Sool, and other Korean Martial Arts that will be involved in supplying Judges, students, Time Keepers / Score Keepers and such.

The Festival part will be headed by several Korean Businessmen here in Tulsa. There is already a small two day Asian Festival that they put one each year. We are looking into from it and expanding.

So yes, I know it is a large job. But, I think it can be done with the right group of people. For some strange reason Tulsa loves it Festivals. :evil:

15. Hyeongsa

Hyeongsa The Duelist

There should be a grappling section; that part in Kuk Sool is not emphasized enough. It's like this "understood" knowledge that isn't actually practiced. It's alot like the syllabus is saying "your doing techniques, isn't that enough??". There should be a "Free Sparring" event, for black belts and up, where you are allowed to do sweeps, finishes, tap outs, etc. Whoever gives up, scores a obvious knock out blow, or taps out loses; whoever dominates the match wins!

There should also be a weapon sparring event (foam obviously) where it's staff versus staff, spear/sword, staff/sword, etc. I think that would be fun as well!

16. Convergencezone

Convergencezone Valued Member

A full contact division would be great, but it would go along way just simply to have have controlled continous sparring instead of point sparring, and allow sweeps and take downs.

17. tulsa

tulsa Valued Member

On the second: Yes, there is plans for weapons sparring.

On the first: INSURANCE!!! and Regulations from the boxing commission... very very very very very expensive. But I will look into it.
    :evil:

18. tulsa

tulsa Valued Member

Will keep that in mind. Full contact ?????? read previous reply. :evil:

19. Dragon2

Dragon2 Valued Member

Hello H in your post #7 you said that WKSA are not allowed to attend open tournments that is not a correct statement. I attended several during my time in WKSA and have even taken several students along. Tulsa knows this. I think that an open tournment is a great ideal that I would support. D2

20. tulsa

tulsa Valued Member

Sorry but I should have said the WKSA strongly Discourages their students and instructors to go to open tournaments ( at least that is what I was told and then again why would the WKSA not allow a teacher to hold an open tournament?. and thanks... :evil: