Your thoughts and comments on this silat clip please?

Discussion in 'Silat' started by TruthForce, Jun 12, 2013.

1. TruthForce

TruthForce New Member

2. Simon

Simon Administrator Admin Supporter MAP 2017 Koyo Award

TruthForce, welcome to MAP.

Tell us a little about yourserf please.

Is it you in the video, do you do Silat etc.

3. TruthForce

TruthForce New Member

Hi

Its me in the video clip :)

And yes i train in silat as well as other south east asian arts.

4. ap Oweyn

ap Oweyn Ret. Supporter

Truthforce,

I haven't had a chance to check out the clip yet, but we actually have a specific silat forum here. I'll move this thread over there, so you can get feedback from the resident silat players.

5. MadMonk108

MadMonk108 JKD/Kali Instructor

It's hard to tell exactly what you're doing because the lights are off.

6. ap Oweyn

ap Oweyn Ret. Supporter

That occurred to me too. It was difficult to see.

I'm no expert in silat, but I've watched a friend (and former poster here at MAP) practice his blend of silat and gung fu. And I recognize the same sorts of movements. I'm glad to see you working a heavy bag with these patterns. What do you feel you learned from it? Anything?

7. TruthForce

TruthForce New Member

It was my mistake, i often train in low light when im just mucking around with some of the forms etc. Find it helps encourage the sensitivity, much like being partialy sighted. In future i will film my practice/muck around sessions with the lights turned on.

8. TruthForce

TruthForce New Member

Hi

Yes its the Kun Tao element ive learned coming out. Its, to the best of my knowlege, very similar to traditional kung fu (which ive never actualy studied).

Ive studied some other internal chinese martial arts too as well as philipino and several different silat styles.

Silat for me, has bridged the gap between styles and sytems and alowed for less thought and more feel, especially regarding footwork.

Last edited: Jun 12, 2013
  9. nasigoreng

nasigoreng Valued Member

the music just ruined it for me, sorry.

10. TruthForce

TruthForce New Member

Sorry dude :banana: its funky house, not very silat like, would you preffer more traditional gongs etc?

11. ap Oweyn

ap Oweyn Ret. Supporter

Music aside, commentary?

12. taoizt

taoizt Valued Member

Personally don't like these types of bags, they wobble around too much. Not too much to say about the techniques. Looks smooth, but can't say a lot about the power generation or footwork.

13. ap Oweyn

ap Oweyn Ret. Supporter

So to recap--

New poster in the FMA forum: Hey, can I get some feedback on this silat video?

Me: It just so happens that we have a silat forum. I'll move it over there so you can get some feedback from our resident experts.

Resident experts: 1) I didn't like the music. 2) I don't like that heavy bag.

My apologies Truthforce. This isn't quite how I envisioned this process working.

14. taoizt

taoizt Valued Member

Ok couple of tips:

- Try to make a video with a student so you can show some apps
    - Take of the shoes when training in a gym. It helps give you better 'feeling' in grounding your movements
    - And once more...if possible..try to get rid of this type of bag and use a heavy boxing bag or, even better a sandbag

15. Rebo Paing

Rebo Paing Pigs and fishes ...

Hi TruthForce, just curious .. from whom do you learn, and are you Kanma Chukwu (where is that origin?). Your flow looks good from what little I can see .. as stated previously the video is very dark (and I don't have sound on my PC hehe) .. but very focused on the single height level ... maybe because you are doing a flow drill or is your style a high only style?
    (I followed your link)
    Just for clarification, jurus is not simply technique although it is used to expound technique (or techniques .. plural). Analogy of storytelling, jurus would be like a fable in that it contains a lesson; which may or may not be self evident. When I honing technique I'm practicing ketrampilan ... skills.
    I too don't particularly like the use of bag except for practice singular skill ... like hitting hard .. but prefer to hit air :D. But if it's flow you're looking for, better lots of directions like you can do when practicing kembangan. BTW kembangan doesn't have to be 'dance' ... ALL silat movement must be artful and contain seni if you think that beauty is in the function as well. Kembangan is one good way to explore and develop imo.
    Thanks for sharing ... very nice training hall! Mine is just dirt floor with no mirror ... so I'm jealous, but maybe that's a good thing ... otherwise I see that I'm to fat! LOL!

Last edited: Jun 14, 2013
  16. nasigoreng

nasigoreng Valued Member

perhaps a more specific question is necessary Truthforce.

17. YouKnowWho

YouKnowWho Valued Member

It's always a good idea to coordinate your

1. hand with your foot,
    2. elbow with your knee,
    3. shoulder with your hip.

First try to land your punch exactly the same time when you land your foot. In your head, count it as 1 and not 1, 2. In other words, don't treat moving your foot and punching on the bag as 2 separate moves. You can then work on your 2 and 3 coordinate from there.

The human body is like 3 springs. Without training, all 3 springs will work independently. With training, all 3 springs can be compressed and released at the same time.

Last edited: Jun 14, 2013
  18. taoizt

taoizt Valued Member

Hello mr. Wang,

Some good advice, isn't that the 3 of the 6 harmonies in Kungfu?

Greets
    Tao

19. YouKnowWho

YouKnowWho Valued Member

Yes, it is. Either your right hand coordinates with your right foot, or your right hand coordinates with your left foot. It can simplify the body mechanics a lot. The concept should not have any style boundary at all.

20. taoizt

taoizt Valued Member

In the style i practice it can also be right hand coordinating with the left and vice versa.