Your mount style?

Discussion in 'Brazilian Jiu Jitsu' started by Atharel, Jan 18, 2007.

1. Atharel

Atharel Errant

S-Mount/Big Boy Mount all the way for me.

Reason: It's perfect for my light frame and lets me keep on top and launch attacks while still maintaining my position, while vanilla mount was really just a prelude to having them in my guard again :eek:

Favorite techniques from this position: Baiting them into scooping my posted leg and getting a triangle (number one by far). Getting their top arm wrapped around their head with wrist control and getting one of several chokes.

I love actually having a mount game against bigger people :D

I've also experimented a bit with monkey mount but haven't been as successful.

What's your mount style?

2. slideyfoot

slideyfoot Co-Founder of Artemis BJJ

My mount style is currently "cling on like a deeply confused crab until I get swept". :D

I hadn't realised just how bad my mount was until todays lesson, where we did specific sparring from the mount. However, seems I'm not alone - pretty much the whole of the beginners class had much more success from underneath mount as opposed to on top.

If I was to hazard a guess as to why, its probably because the vast majority of beginner classes at RGA end with specific sparring from guard passing, so while everyone is familiar with the principle behind sweeping (take away the legs of the chair), only those who also train in the advanced class are at all familiar with the mount. Guard passing specific sparring means that once you get to mount, you stop (presuming you can actually pass the guard, something else I have lots of trouble with ;) ), so we never normally have a chance to practice submissions from the mount against a fully resisting opponent.

3. pauli

pauli mr guillotine

underneath, usually.

4. Atharel

Atharel Errant

Haha, I was that poor crab just before I discovered the joys of S-mount.

You don't do actual free rolling? We make sure to do at least 30 min of that every practice o_O

Last edited: Jan 19, 2007
  5. Ghost Frog

Ghost Frog New Member

Also, Gracie Barra, where Roger trained, is known for its ability in guard. It has lots of amazing guard players.

6. slideyfoot

slideyfoot Co-Founder of Artemis BJJ

Not in the beginners class (well, did it once, but I think that was an anomaly when two purple belts took class) - we do sparring starting from a specific position (often from guard) with a predetermined goal (e.g., pass the guard/sweep, or submit if you can). I much prefer it that way, as it means I can work on positions methodically rather than getting thrown in at the deep end.

7. Freeform

Freeform Fully operational War-Pig Supporter

Are we allowed knee mount/ride as a choice :D

I like it and am playing with it alot just know.

8. Slindsay

Slindsay All violence is necessary

Hold on hold on hold on till the 25 seconds are gone. Judo tate shiho gatame is basically the same thing as mount right? ;) Actually I contstantly catch people with ude garami from mount as well, does that count for anything?

9. Freeform

Yeah, it means you need a better quality of sparring partner ;) :p

Ude garami/Americana is reasonably easy to defeat from being mounted, unless there is a horrific mismatch in weight/strength ;)

10. pauli

pauli mr guillotine

it's easy to defend unless they do it *right.* which most people don't - they see an arm that's sorta back and they jump on it.

11. Freeform

I supose you could say that about anything though. It's all in the set up. But you're right that in mount position, the only options may people have left themselves are straight armbar, americana or front choke, and if you're doing no-gi you lose one of those.

I think this is the reason that most people try to 'muscle it'.

12. Slindsay

Slindsay All violence is necessary

I try to avoid getting into the habbit of using the straigh armbar from mount, it's to easy to give away the pin in that case. I also think it's easier to set up subs in Judo than it is in BJJ. In BJJ your primary goal from under mount is to escape BUT you have no time limit and a greater awareness of submission attacks. In Judo you have 25 seconds to get out of the pin or you lose regardless so people will take risks.

Anyway, I find ude garami easy to catch people with because I set it up by going for a collar choke to try and raise an elbow high enough to get a knee into the armpit, from there I use my head to try and pin the arm in conjunction with the same side arm (I have to slide back down the body to pin that way) But i leaves me a free hand to post with/ keep trying to work a collar choke.

Oh, plus I'm REALLY fat :p

13. Atharel

Atharel Errant

The limited options from vanilla mount, especially in no-gi, is part of why I avoided it and worked from side control for a very long time. The other part being my difficulties keeping mount.

S-Mount opens up mounted triangles and kimuras as well as the standard mount options. Big Boy Mount, which is similar to S-Mount but your far leg is posted up instead of wrapped under their shoulder and you want them on their side facing away from you, being pinched between your legs, gives one or two triangles, some no-gi chokes if you can grab a wrist and wrap it around their head, really tight armbars and more kimura oppurtunities.

14. CinMike

CinMike Valued Member

One word......Ezekiel.......that is all. the ezekiel choke (and armbar) are pretty much the only two moves I pull off consistantly from the mount. Occasionally I get a mounted triangle, or a triangle right as they bridge and roll, so I end up with a triangle from the bottom, but the Ezekiel choke is my go to move.